Indiana Constitutional Carry-Summer Study thread (2017)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Video still does not work for me.

Thank you very much for the play by play, Thor.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Why does the state of IN want to put law abiding citizens in jail for exercising their constitutional rights?

Lucas: the shall and shall not question. Guy - there are rules of construction, shall and shall not are absolute terms.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Lucas:

The IN const is broader than the federal. For the average Hoosier that has done no wrong, we the state are wrong for putting these restrictions on it.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    To Rep Mayfield, Guy - ISP is very fair, want to get to a fair outcome. A lot of denials turn into issues licenses after data bases are updated.

How many cases have you supported? 100's with a 100% success rate. Mayfield, so the 7000 rejections for LTCH, may represent a huge number of people who don't have the money and time to challenge it in court.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Sen Delph, Art 1 Sec 32, is that an absolute right? Yes

Does constitutional law trump statutory law? Yes

If any state statute violates any constitutional provision it is unconstitutional and should be stricken from the books.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Eberhart: Am I being detained? I have no need to produce ID unless I'm seen committing a crime...correct? Correct. There is no stop and identify law.

Cited case law that carrying a weapon requires Pinner vs State (sp) no justification to stop and check.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Lucas: The Pinner decision settles that we are innocent until proven guilty. Guy - yes. Lucas - but the permit process requires us to prove we are innocent until proven guilty. Guy - yes. Lucas - so this could be proven to violate the constitution. Guy - Yes. Would like to see that.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    If you have sworn your oath to protect those rights you can not oppose constitutional carry, you do not have to ask permission. It does not seem right that you have to ask permission to use only this right.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Taylor to Mr. Dowd.

Were you around when put the restrictions on the right to vote? Do you think we should treat everything in the const the same way? To open it up?

I think that we should protect the const, that's why I oppose (BLM/antifa) trying to tear it down. if it wasn't for the 2nd am we wouldn't have a const today.

Adjournment.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I may have missed this answered upthread, but how would this effect carry in states like Ohio? If Indiana no longer has a permit to be honored, how would one legally carry in those states? Would the Utah license become a necessity?

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    I may have missed this answered upthread, but how would this effect carry in states like Ohio? If Indiana no longer has a permit to be honored, how would one legally carry in those states? Would the Utah license become a necessity?

The license to carry a handgun is not going away and any currently issued and held will be valid and you can still apply for one for the purpose of reciprocity with States like Ohio. All this legislation does is remove the crime of carrying a handgun without a license so that you do not have to ask permission to carry a gun that you're lawfully able to possess.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Thor -

I could not get video - and I"m not sure I can get the archived version - IF (BIG IF) they ever even get it up on the IGA Site.
    (I never did get the one from March 29 on HB 1071 to play from the Senate "gutting" hearing).

So Another thanks for the play by play - I hope to make the next (or at least 1) of these in person. Good grief some of the elected people ... I have no words - and they have less sense.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Chief does not know if it is legal for a felon to posses a gun at their home...!?!?! This guy needs to have his badge taken away.

Guy was about to spontaneously-combust at that point.

Top Bottom