• ...and so much more!
  • hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    :chillpill:

Of course, if you can show me in the US Constitution where its says we are guaranteed the right to buy alcohol any day of the week, I'll change my stance immediately :D. Maybe the government shouldn't regulate anything (sure would be nice to let me 6 year old get his DL, wouldn't have to get up so early in the morning to drive him to school). You'd be absolutely comfortable if I let him drive my pickup on the roads you drive too, right?

Show me in the constitution where it says the government can limit my ability to enter into contracts that are perfectly legal 6 days out of the week, but not the 7th.

The constitution doesn't grant me rights. It limits the federal government's ability to curtail them, among other things.

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    But they do have to with the fact that I am making the argument that IN laws are, in general, less restrictive that Utah.

Furthermore, the story you posted makes the claim that IN is alone in limiting Sunday sales. This is false. Re-read all the posts here. It's definitely not a black and white set of laws (much like CCW/LTCH laws).

I'll ask the question - what are you doing to get the ban lifted?

Hoosiers for Beverage Choices

Maybe you can enlighten me on this, as I am awaiting a response from them as well, but why is it that Hoosiers for Beverage Choices are only lobbying for the cold sale of Indiana Brewed beer in grocery stores? Me thinks The BIG has something to do with that.

If they truly want to "Change Indiana's Outdated Liquor Laws", shouldn't they be advocating for the sale of all cold beer in grocery/ect stores? As well as the repeal of the election day prohibition?

my:twocents:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I'll ask you, as I am awaiting a response from them as well, but why is it that Hoosiers for Beverage Choices are only lobbying for the cold sale of Indiana Brewed beer in grocery stores? Me thinks The BIG has something to do with that.

If they truly want to "Change Indiana's Outdated Liquor Laws", shouldn't they be advocating for the sale of all cold beer in grocery/ect stores? As well as the repeal of the election day prohibition?

my:twocents:

I'm not exactly sure why they changed their stance. My guess is that they figure they could get more support from the gen. assy. if they (once again) have a bill with exclusions and provisions. Personally, I don't care about "cold beer", but again, why the need for protectionism?

hacksawfg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Hopefully not Genera
    Show me in the constitution where it says the government can limit my ability to enter into contracts that are perfectly legal 6 days out of the week, but not the 7th.

The constitution doesn't grant me rights. It limits the federal government's ability to curtail them, among other things.

AFAIK doesn't say anything about entering into contracts, 10th Amendment does give powers to the States to set anything not covered by the Constitution, though. Indiana happens to regulate alcohol sales on Sunday. If it was not Constitutional, I imagine someone would have sued the state by now (maybe they have, I don't know).

Also, I think people are misinterpreting my statements. I never once said I agreed with the ban on Sunday sales, I would just like to propose some kind of solution that might get both sides of the argument to actually agree on selling something on Sunday. Maybe the liquor store lobby would see it's not the end of the world. But, if people would rather make it all or nothing and tolerate the system as is until the war of attrition on this finally comes to end, I'll continue to wait (I love to drink, but I'm not spending 3 hours in the car to go to OH/IL to buy booze on Sunday if I run out).

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    AFAIK doesn't say anything about entering into contracts, 10th Amendment does give powers to the States to set anything not covered by the Constitution, though. Indiana happens to regulate alcohol sales on Sunday. If it was not Constitutional, I imagine someone would have sued the state by now (maybe they have, I don't know).

Also, I think people are misinterpreting my statements. I never once said I agreed with the ban on Sunday sales, I would just like to propose some kind of solution that might get both sides of the argument to actually agree on selling something on Sunday. Maybe the liquor store lobby would see it's not the end of the world. But, if people would rather make it all or nothing and tolerate the system as is until the war of attrition on this finally comes to end, I'll continue to wait (I love to drink, but I'm not spending 3 hours in the car to go to OH/IL to buy booze on Sunday if I run out).

You specifically stated the US constitution. That's what my comment was based on. I see nothing in the state constitution that says the state government can limit my ability to enter into contracts as I stated in my previous post.

Of course, if you can show me in the US Constitution where its says we are guaranteed the right to buy alcohol any day of the week, I'll change my stance immediately :D.

hacksawfg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Hopefully not Genera
    You specifically stated the US constitution. That's what my comment was based on. I see nothing in the state constitution that says the state government can limit my ability to enter into contracts as I stated in my previous post.

Nothing forbidding it's ability to limit enterprise either. I think everyone can agree on principle it's a :poop: law. Whatever reason it was originally passed for is irrelevant - the main reason it's still on the books is because a lobby and some very vocal "Save the children" types oppose revoking it and spend a lot of time and money from preventing Sunday sales ("come on it's the way we've ALWAYS done it"). I'm venturing the majority of Indiana citizens don't really give a crap if a store sells alcohol on Sunday or not (although as much as people cried over DST I could be wrong). Unless you can get the very vocal minority to come to some sort of agreement, though, nothing will change anytime soon.

If you REALLY want to change things without compromise, abstain from purchasing ANY alcohol from liquor stores until they can get their lobby into allowing Sunday sales for everybody. I support my local liquor stores as much as I can because they usually have a better selection of beer and difficult-to-find hard liquor (now that I frequently travel to Canada, most of my regular stuff is purchased duty-free anyway), but if people want to go this route I'll buy what I can elsewhere (microbrewery's that sell on Sunday, etc.).

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

Do you want the top ten or just the whole list?:D

Start with the 10th Amendment and then scroll down to the 21st Amendment.

Want to read about vaccines in Jacobson? Oh, wait, that's another argument.:laugh:

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Do you want the top ten or just the whole list?:D

Start with the 10th Amendment and then scroll down to the 21st Amendment.

Want to read about vaccines in Jacobson? Oh, wait, that's another argument.:laugh:

What you quoted was in reference to the US constitution limiting my ability to enter into a contract only on certain days of the week, not the ability of the state to do it.

I'm serious when I say I see nothing in the Indiana Constitution that limits that either. If you want to enlighten me, then feel free to do so. I would honestly appreciate it.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I'm serious when I say I see nothing in the Indiana Constitution that limits that either. If you want to enlighten me, then feel free to do so. I would honestly appreciate it.

You mean you do not understand how the Tenth Amendment and the state police powers function?

Or, you just have questions about state police powers?:dunno:

fishbass62

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   1
    Dec 24, 2011
    Franklin
    It doesn't matter whether they sell it on Sunday or just sell it one day a week. People need to plan, either for a day or for a week. Not a big deal.

MagicKev

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2011
    It doesn't matter whether they sell it on Sunday or just sell it one day a week. People need to plan, either for a day or for a week. Not a big deal.

Not picking you out fishbass, just posting your statement...but I find it interesting that the droves that cried foul when smoking was banned in bars in Marion County and crying about private business rights are not here crying out against no sales on Sunday.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

I think it is. But more from the theoretical and moral standpoint than for practical reasons. I shouldn't have to plan. There's no good reason that alcohol carryout (excl. breweries) sales are banned on Sunday.

What if Indiana gen. assy. ruled that bait and fishing supplies are not allowed to be sold on Sundays? Gee, it might be a little different when it concerns a product you frequently purchase.

Sorry to rant, (and welcome to INGO!), but the "It doesn't mater to me" attitude to laws is troubling. This is the same attitude that leads to gun control - "Doesn't matter to me - I own a hunting rifle, not one of those evil black rifles!" or "Doesn't matter to me - I know how to plan to shoot more than ten rounds and practice reloading."

DadOfFour

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    You can't make it legal to buy alcohol on Sunday's, think of the CHILDREN!!!

BTW, I lived in CT for 16 months. If you're not a liberal you need your beer to maintain sanity in that place because you're sandwiched between NYC and Boston. You couldn't (and still can't as far as I know) buy beer after 9 p.m. either.

Lived there for 16 years, at the time you couldn't buy on Sunday or after 8pm. Luckily I lived near the NY border, there was a great package store just across the border, made many interstate runs for beer in the old days lol

ruger1800

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Indiana
    Indiana is loosing a fortune in revenues to neighboring states by not allowing sunday alcohol sales.
    As far as i know atomotive dealerships are not allowed to sell on sundays either.
    WAKE UP MITCH

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bengineer
    Top Bottom