• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    No it's not. Did you even read those links?

You can't go into a bar and buy a drink. You have to sit down and have it delivered.Nor can you buy a mixed drink without buying food.

And again, (almost) any beer that's 3.2% ABW was watered down prior to bottling. Are you aware of what slips under 3.2% ABW - not what you think. I'd hardly put a check in the Utah column on this one.

The Homebrewing industry is struggling under the gov't boot there.

An this is only what I gather from a little quick reading. My strong hunch is that the Gov't run package stores are quite limited in selection and that restaurants are not easily or affordable offered full service licenses.

As for distribution, IN is pretty good. There's not a lot of protectionism and breweries and wineries can self distribute.

Utah is an ABC state. Bars have nothing to do with the topic of the thread.

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    Well, UTAH is an ABC state so it isn't a direct comparison. But yes, Indiana is more restrictive than Utah. The options available to residents of Utah are greater than the options of residents of Indiana. They can buy beer on Sunday, we can't. Everything else is the same except the distribution system.

Yes you CAN buy beer on a Sunday, just not from a package or grocery store. I can walk into any one of indiana's many micro breweries and walk out with a six pack, on a Sunday.

Okay, Indiana is the only state in the nation that does not allow liquor or package shops to operate on Sunday. Everyone happy now, good. Now go buy a motorcycle.
    State owned stores. You can buy alcohol at regular stores, well 3.2%.

Provo lifts Sunday beer sale ban - ABC4.com - Salt Lake City, Utah News

Indiana is still alone.

180px-O_rly.jpg

And actually now that you mention it, I believe that off-premise sales at liquor stores are not allowed on sundays in OK and TX as well. Not sure the rest of the laws in those two states concerning sundays.

But essentially that is what indiana has, except it expands out to cover grocery stores as well.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Owlguy.jpeggd

There is a liquor store in town. The nearest brewery that has the product I want is 5 hours away. Behind these locked doors, peering through the window, is the same beer. If I am not peering through a window, I stand within a foot of the beer at Marsh.

Are you anti-business?

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    The liquor stores big complaint is the unlevel playing field. Level the field, let package liquor stores sell food to go or whatever along with the booze. If they still can't compete effectively then they should be allowed to go under.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    The liquor stores big complaint is the unlevel playing field. Level the field, let package liquor stores sell food to go or whatever along with the booze. If they still can't compete effectively then they should be allowed to go under.

Better than anything I have posted.

I hope your trusted voice injects reason.

This is a turf war. 49/50 can devise a system that suits everyone's needs.

ETA: I can't hit hit this guy with rep.

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    No, I don't need to buy alcohol on Sunday, I make my own. But why is there a law against it? Why does this law still exist? (Lobbyist!!) Why to package stores need special protection that limits consumers? I can understand the place of Blue Laws when the only employee was the owner who would end up having to work all seven days, but those days are long gone now.

[STRIKE]Two[/STRIKE]Three scenarios:
    1. On Sunday I want to make Chicken Marsala, but I have no Marsala and I can't buy it. I starve - are you happy Indiana General Assembly!!

Actually I have purchased Marsala wine on more than one occasion on a sunday here.

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    MEH...

If someone can't go without their carryout one day of the week, they have issues. We have many other things that need to be addressed in the Statehouse before spending any significant time on this. :twocents:

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    MEH...

If someone can't go without their carryout one day of the week, they have issues. We have many other things that need to be addressed in the Statehouse before spending any significant time on this. :twocents:

How long should it take? Those in favor of getting the government out of the alcohol business, say eye.

fochman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2011
    I guess Indiana doesn't mind me driving to Michigan on Sunday to buy wine and stimulate that state's economy! Guess Indiana has all the business it needs.

hacksawfg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Hopefully not Genera
    The solution really wouldn't be that hard to make (almost) everybody happy. Don't let grocery stores sell hard liquor at all, but let liquor/grocery stores sell beer and wine on Sunday. If you can't plan ahead to buy hard alcohol, that's your problem. But if I decide on Sunday to call up a bunch of friends, watch the Colts, or whoever, it would sure be nice to go to the store and pick up a case or two (or get a bottle of wine for dinner) if I didn't have enough for everybody.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    The REAL point is, it's not about beer on Sundays, it's about FREEDOM.

Why should the government be allowed to tell ANY business when they can be open or closed?

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    ^^^Edited to add I've been scooped by edporch.^^^

If the gov't decided you can't buy firearms or ammo on Mondays (or whatever day they arbitrarily pick), would you feel the same way. I don't think that's an apples to oranges example, but for those that do how about gas? You can't buy gas on Friday's anymore. Or cigarettes. Can't buy those on Tuesdays. Just plan for it.

It's not about the access to it. It's about the gov being in the middle of it, telling you what you can and can't do with what's left of your hard earned money and deciding which business can't accept it on certain days.

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    There is a liquor store in town. The nearest brewery that has the product I want is 5 hours away. Behind these locked doors, peering through the window, is the same beer. If I am not peering through a window, I stand within a foot of the beer at Marsh.

Are you anti-business?

I think that you are mistaking my statements of fact, for my opinion on the subject. I simply came in here to point out that the article that you posted was incorrect. And you argued that it was correct, and continually stated that IN was the ONLY state to regulate off-premise sales of alcohol at privately owned liquor stores on sundays, so I pointed out that TX & OK (even posted links to the regulations) also regulate them.

I haven't voiced my opinion on whether privately owned business's should be allowed to control their hours of operation one way or another.

If we take a trip in the way-back-machine we can see that.

That article & Frank Coleman are incorrect, and they need to fact check it before publishing. You CAN buy alcohol on sundays in indiana, just not at a package store.

You can buy in a bar, brewery take out and winery take out.

ETA: Bar = establishment with a licence to sell by the glass, bar or resturant.

Well the quote by Mr. Coleman stated: "will leave Indiana as the only state in the country to ban all alcohol sales on Sunday, said Frank Coleman."

Thus implying that you could not buy any form of alcohol on sunday what so ever.

It did not state: "will leave Indiana as the only state in the country to ban all packaged alcohol sales from a liquor or grocery store on Sunday, said Frank Coleman "

So I stand by my statement that the article and Mr coleman are incorrect. Even if package sales was implied, you can still by packaged beer from a brewery on sunday, and packaged wine from a winery on sunday, the "implied" arguement is invalid.

Yeah doesn't make sense to me either, but till it changes, them's the breaks. At least they allow us the privilege of drinking in our homes on sunday if we choose to.

And actually now that you mention it, I believe that off-premise sales at liquor stores are not allowed on sundays in OK and TX as well. Not sure the rest of the laws in those two states concerning sundays.

But essentially that is what indiana has, except it expands out to cover grocery stores as well.

Yes you CAN buy beer on a Sunday, just not from a package or grocery store. I can walk into any one of indiana's many micro breweries and walk out with a six pack, on a Sunday.

But since you asked, no I am not "anti-business", I am all for a free market. So I will state it now so you know, I do not agree with the state regulating when a privately owned business is allowed to be open. But as I stated before, until the entire system changes that is the way it is.

Also where do you live that the closest brewery is 5 hours away?

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    ^^^Edited to add I've been scooped by edporch.^^^

If the gov't decided you can't buy firearms or ammo on Mondays (or whatever day they arbitrarily pick), would you feel the same way. I don't think that's an apples to oranges example, but for those that do how about gas? You can't buy gas on Friday's anymore. Or cigarettes. Can't buy those on Tuesdays. Just plan for it.

It's not about the access to it. It's about the gov being in the middle of it, telling you what you can and can't do with what's left of your hard earned money and deciding which business can't accept it on certain days.

Exactly.
    Part of what clouds this issue is that to people who don't consume alcoholic beverages this is a non-isssue, so they miss the BIGGER picture.

The BIGGER picture is the government has decided they can tell businesses when they can be open for business and when they can't.

I should be able to purchase ANY product from ANY business at ANY time that's willing to be open and sell it to me.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    The solution really wouldn't be that hard to make (almost) everybody happy. Don't let grocery stores sell hard liquor at all, but let liquor/grocery stores sell beer and wine on Sunday. If you can't plan ahead to buy hard alcohol, that's your problem. But if I decide on Sunday to call up a bunch of friends, watch the Colts, or whoever, it would sure be nice to go to the store and pick up a case or two (or get a bottle of wine for dinner) if I didn't have enough for everybody.

Oh, so hard liquor is OK to limit but not beer? Is that it? Just because you think it's OK with your lifestyle? Perhaps it's OK to limit handgun sales on Monday but not rifles. Maybe sales of sedans are OK on Tuesday, but minivan sales are banned.

Playing these games of craving out exceptions in exactly what should NOT be done - with anything. That's why we have to answer so many f'ing questions like, "Can I carry in _____?". Stupid, mindless exclusions and protections to make someone happy who can't just accept change.

And also, I don't believe grocery stores are allowed to sell hard liquor. It's the drug store located in the grocery store that does the sales. Another way progress can't be stopped by stupid laws - capitalism will find a way to give consumers what they want.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Utah is an ABC state. Bars have nothing to do with the topic of the thread.

But they do have to with the fact that I am making the argument that IN laws are, in general, less restrictive that Utah.

Furthermore, the story you posted makes the claim that IN is alone in limiting Sunday sales. This is false. Re-read all the posts here. It's definitely not a black and white set of laws (much like CCW/LTCH laws).

I'll ask the question - what are you doing to get the ban lifted?

Hoosiers for Beverage Choices

hacksawfg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Hopefully not Genera
    Oh, so hard liquor is OK to limit but not beer? Is that it? Just because you think it's OK with your lifestyle? Perhaps it's OK to limit handgun sales on Monday but not rifles. Maybe sales of sedans are OK on Tuesday, but minivan sales are banned.

Playing these games of craving out exceptions in exactly what should NOT be done - with anything. That's why we have to answer so many f'ing questions like, "Can I carry in _____?". Stupid, mindless exclusions and protections to make someone happy who can't just accept change.

And also, I don't believe grocery stores are allowed to sell hard liquor. It's the drug store located in the grocery store that does the sales. Another way progress can't be stopped by stupid laws - capitalism will find a way to give consumers what they want.

:chillpill:

I love to drink bourbon, scotch, vodka, etc. as much as the next guy. I would buy it on Sunday if that was an option, I'm just proposing a solution that might get the liquor store lobby to help get some kind of Sunday sales in the near future so we can at least buy something on Sunday's (they sell hard liquor in the beer section at the Marsh I go to BTW, which is nowhere near the pharmacy).

Of course, if you can show me in the US Constitution where its says we are guaranteed the right to buy alcohol any day of the week, I'll change my stance immediately :D. Maybe the government shouldn't regulate anything (sure would be nice to let me 6 year old get his DL, wouldn't have to get up so early in the morning to drive him to school). You'd be absolutely comfortable if I let him drive my pickup on the roads you drive too, right?

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    There are still cities and counties that regulate the sales of alcohol also. Use to travel to Paducah, Ky and found out the hard way on a Sunday at a steak house I could not get a beer because it was against the local laws to sale any alcohol anywhere on Sundays

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bengineer
    Top Bottom