• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Growing up, we were dirt floor poor. Never realized just how poor we were until years later. At one point, my parents were able to get their hands on probably a dozen CASES of WC sliders from a damaged or rejected truck or something, not really sure. Our deep freezer was full of them for the better part of a year. Any time I wanted a snack, or sometimes just for a quick meal, we would grab a couple sliders and nuke them in the microwave. I ate so many sliders, I am traumatized to this day. I can still smell them.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Growing up, we were dirt floor poor. Never realized just how poor we were until years later. At one point, my parents were able to get their hands on probably a dozen CASES of WC sliders from a damaged or rejected truck or something, not really sure. Our deep freezer was full of them for the better part of a year. Any time I wanted a snack, or sometimes just for a quick meal, we would grab a couple sliders and nuke them in the microwave. I ate so many sliders, I am traumatized to this day. I can still smell them.

Sliders were the go to hangover relief at 0-dark-3:30 on the way home for 2 hours sleep and up to work.
    5 to 7 sliders with cheese. Fries and the rest of your last beer. It worked.

We get them frozen at Sams. The terrorists love them. Deli mustard and dill slices are the only way. Maybe a small extra slice of cheese before engaging the nuclear device to sterilize them.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

Sounds like my aunt. During the end of the depression and even through the war, she was a kid. Grandma made potato soup VERY frequently out of necessity. Its REALLY good. I learned to make it myself. Hell, I'll grab 3 potatoes on a whim and 20 minutes later have soup. (peel and cut 3, boil in just enough water to cover. take 1/3 of the potatoes and mash them fine with a fork and put them back in for thickness. Add milk and a couple TBSP of flour to thicken, a little bacon grease, salt and pepper for flavor and enjoy)

But apparently they ate it so often that when I was a kid, Grandma would make my aunt something special for dinner when she chose to make potato soup on the Sunday my aunt happened to come over for dinner. (Sunday dinner was always at Grandmas) As an adult she just couldnt eat it any more.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana

For reasons unknown (we've heard rumors) Fort Wayne never got a White Castle. When we were kids my Dad would go on a fishing trip up north and bring home cases of those things (I guess they used to be cheap back in the day... not really so cheap anymore) and freeze them so we had them for probably half the year pretty much as much as we wanted.

However, to this day I still love WC... but it started hating me a few years ago. Story of my life. ;)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Sounds like my aunt. During the end of the depression and even through the war, she was a kid. Grandma made potato soup VERY frequently out of necessity. Its REALLY good. I learned to make it myself. Hell, I'll grab 3 potatoes on a whim and 20 minutes later have soup. (peel and cut 3, boil in just enough water to cover. take 1/3 of the potatoes and mash them fine with a fork and put them back in for thickness. Add milk and a couple TBSP of flour to thicken, a little bacon grease, salt and pepper for flavor and enjoy)

But apparently they ate it so often that when I was a kid, Grandma would make my aunt something special for dinner when she chose to make potato soup on the Sunday my aunt happened to come over for dinner. (Sunday dinner was always at Grandmas) As an adult she just couldnt eat it any more.

I have a good friend that was this way with eggs. He has left this mortal plain but they were dirt floor poor and had chickens. If the eggs did not sell...(post depression) they ate them as that was all they had. He could not look at an egg.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Oh come on Dude!

giphy.gif

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Red Robin and bottomless fries suitable, they got Brews too. Ahhh yessss, starch overload from the fries!

But only if they bring back the Cajun Chicken sammitch. That was the only sammitch that did anything for me there. Havent been back since they got rid of it.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1776Defend2ndAmend
    Top Bottom