IMPD officer shot, suspect still shooting.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Lead from the front. Come sit on the scene and protect your client's civil rights while they are still armed and shooting.

Sure, no problem. Have them call the office, we take credit cards over the phone.

I won't take a Bearcat in trade. Although I might. Maybe pose on it and look all tactical?

For Kirk, the video on this report shows a Bearcat.

Ok, thanks.

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    As of bedtime last night, news reports credited the LEO's ballistic vest with stopping the round that might have caused a more tragic ending to this situation. Other LEOs around the country weren't as fortunate in the past few days. Whatever it takes to ensure their safety and prevent a sudden event scheduling at Banker's Life Fieldhouse is OK with this law-abiding taxpayer.

^^^THIS^^^ Why would we ever expect officers to respond to shots fired without adequate protection? Last I checked, a patrol car isn't bulletproof. Didn't the officers in L.A. have an uncomfortable reality check years ago when they were grossly under equipped to handle what two bad guys were throwing at them? Given the recent uptick in gang activities within the city of Indianapolis, I would think a significant investment in the protection of it's LEO's would be a wise business decision at minimum.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    The difference of a few miles, In Morgan County we would of rolled the MRAP and not one whimper would of been heard from the peanut gallery. I do enjoy working with the IMPD guys when I am up there serving warrants or when they make it down here chasing cars. Very Professional considering the trash that they deal with on a daily basis.

Interesting. You leave a person with the impression that you see people without badges as minor variations of the same basic substance. You probably also have difficulty understanding why some others apply the default position of distrust when dealing with police.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Interesting. You leave a person with the impression that you see people without badges as minor variations of the same basic substance. You probably also have difficulty understanding why some others apply the default position of distrust when dealing with police.

If I *****ed about the way you do your job and the tools you use to do it, what would you call me?

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    In someone's estimation, every piece of police gear is a toy that could be eliminated.

And like parachutes, they're not needed until they're needed... but then it's a bit late.

When some idiot is in his house shooting at random, and has already shot someone, I would be okay with a T-34 doing a little track action, and arrest what's left...

UTL

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2015
    Central Indiana

Whats interesting is that is your opinion from my post of what my first hand knowledge would be when being second guess by people with no first hand experience or even all the facts to actually have enough information to form an intelligent opinion. The only people I deal with that has a distrust of police are criminals or people that should be medicated. :):

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    And like parachutes, they're not needed until they're needed... but then it's a bit late.

Valid point, but .gov should have to show its work. The acquisition of toys in order to have toys for Empire-building purposes should be eschewed.

I think each item that .gov proposes buying should be subject to risk analysis, not simply "what if Godzilla attacks Lynhurst". This risk analysis is obviously different as to each county.

Best to the officer.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Sure, no problem. Have them call the office, we take credit cards over the phone.

I won't take a Bearcat in trade. Although I might. Maybe pose on it and look all tactical?

Ok, thanks.

Ha, "ok, thanks". Not "I was wrong and they were used as intended, to provide cover in an ongoing active shooter situation."

No, as usual instead of addressing the actual points you'll deflect and you'll mock. You'll ignore the Bearcats were used and have protected life, both officer and civilian, as has already been attested to in this thread. You know you won't be putting your backside on the line and will be flippant. When your point is weak, you'll resort to "daddy issues" or some other tripe.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    If I *****ed about the way you do your job and the tools you use to do it, what would you call me?

Well, first, you don't have to. There is an entire subset of law enforcement that exists for that sole purpose, or apparently, more for gathering revenue and generating at least a strong suspicion of pushing a political agenda or two. Generally, most of the things I call them are not fit to post. On the other hand, I have a private sector job that so long as I am withing the law is none of their business, fishing expeditions notwithstanding. Speaking of fishing, I am subject to being stopped with no RAS beyond my existence and the last time I was stopped, I was sent down the road with a ticket declaring no violations. At least I received something that actually helps my driving record and the company's FMCSA score in exchange for a 'papieren bitte' stop. Conversely, part of a public sector job is attention from the public. I also feel compelled to point out that sometimes it isn't good to assign criticism to yourself that isn't deserved. You have a tendency to receive general criticisms or those directed toward other officers as personal criticism. You have never given the me impression that the shoe fits, therefore, I encourage you not to wear it!

Whats interesting is that is your opinion from my post of what my first hand knowledge would be when being second guess by people with no first hand experience or even all the facts to actually have enough information to form an intelligent opinion. The only people I deal with that has a distrust of police are criminals or people that should be medicated. :):

When you have a public sector job and show clear disdain for the public you ostensibly protect and serve, that leads a person to suppose that you see yourself as being more of a public master, which is not acceptable in a free republic, and represents a complete role reversal from the republic our founders established. It is entirely possible that your earlier post didn't quite come across to me the way you intended, but after seeing this proven out in practice more times than I care to remember, it does not inspire confidence. Beyond being either a criminal or mentally unstable, people who have dealt with more crooked cops than honest ones also tend to have a perfectly reasonable inclination toward distrust.

I will also add that when I see public sector employees, especially police, dismiss citizens who offer any opinion other than cheering dismissed as such things as 'the peanut gallery', I see someone who is most likely to be part of the problem when someone like Feinstein, Schumer, or people named Clinton see their hot sweaty dreams come true (as opposed to honoring the pesky oath). That said, how can a person justify any other conclusion by any means aside from wishful thinking?

UTL

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2015
    Central Indiana
    Have a good day sir, Im getting ready to go to work. With the weather I will most likely spend my 10 hours doing accident reports and assisting stranded motorist. Happy to serve my community doing anything that this job calls for me to do.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    In this situation, the Bearcat was used to provide a mobile shield to extricate a woman pinned down by nut-jobs gunfire. She couldn't walk well so she was carried away by the big government meanies to a safer place.

kiddchaos

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Hope the officer is okay.

I guess this counts as a "follow up visit".
    Police records show this isn't the first time police have dealt with Hawkins when it comes to guns. Officers went to the same house in February 2014 on a welfare check, according to a police report. Records show at the time, police detained Hawkins and removed nine guns from his home. Court documents show police filed a motion to keep the guns from Hawkins. That motion was later dismissed.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    You need to meet more people that aren't medicated or criminals then :)

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    Amen and glad office is OK!

Once again IMPD displays a level of professionalism in law enforcement many would claim does not exist. Someone attempted to kill a member of our family and we maintained our composure, went by the book and took the suspect into custody alive and breathing. Lets hope the other segments of the criminal justice system performs its job as well and removes this monster from society permanently.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    In this situation, the Bearcat was used to provide a mobile shield to extricate a woman pinned down by nut-jobs gunfire. She couldn't walk well so she was carried away by the big government meanies to a safer place.

How many shots did the Bearcat block? Any way we can quantify the value of the Bearcat? Can we see the video of the Bearcat in action?

Top Bottom