• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Instead of building, you were just going to buy an entire Rock River Arms AR15. Which one would you purchase? Would you base it on price, or the options that come with the particular gun?

I'm going to buy my first AR15 soon, and I think it's going to be a Rock River Arms. Only thing I know is I'm either going to get a .223 or the 5.56. Out of the options on their website, I have no idea which one to get. And which are the better ones.

Rock River Arms: RRA LAR-15 .223/5.56mm Caliber Rifles

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I'd pick the configuration that meets my needs best whether that was varmint hunting or home defense. So, yeah, I'd base it on options definitely. What difference does price make if you get a gun ill-suited for your needs?

I think most of the RAA's are chambered in 5.56 NATO (at least the one's I clicked through were, "5.56 chamber for 5.56 & .223" is the way they put it), although they do offer some barrels/varmint models with the Wylde chamber.

It would be helpful if you shared the intended primary use for the rifle.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Suggestion, first price the complete rifle as you would buy it. Then price the lower by itself, and the upper by itself. If it is cheaper to buy the upper and lower separately including the shipping on both pieces, get it that way.

The reason I say this is sometimes buying the two halve separately save you more because shipped as a total firearm includes the government tax, where buying each half separately only costs the added shipping which might be less.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I'd pick the configuration that meets my needs best whether that was varmint hunting or home defense. So, yeah, I'd base it on options definitely. What difference does price make if you get a gun ill-suited for your needs?

I think most of the RAA's are chambered in 5.56 NATO (at least the one's I clicked through were, "5.56 chamber for 5.56 & .223" is the way they put it), although they do offer some barrels/varmint models with the Wylde chamber.

It would be helpful if you shared the intended primary use for the rifle.

Well... I guess recreational shooting. I'd like to get a light for it later for home defense.

Longshot308

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Westfield, In
    If you are wanting to mount other devices -lights etc, make sure it has the rail for your desired setup. Almost all components are interchangeable on this platform. Make your list, find out if it offered in that configuration, then buy. It can later be changed but it will cost you. In the hundred of these weapons that I have worked on, only one receiver was really out of spec, so RRA, Double Star, etc are generally a good bet. Matching up finishes will be your biggest challenge. There is a 1500 this weekend, check it out.

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    If you want to upgrade the rifle later with upgraded stocks, hand guards, sights, etc then I would just stick with one of their plain jane models. I would get one chambered for 5.56 instead of .223 just to have that option down the road.

I don’t have any experience with the Rock River line, but if I was going to choose one purely on looks I would go with one of their newer LAR-15 Operator or Operator2 models. These look like they have some pretty decent upgrades on them for decent base prices.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I wanted to get one with the rail already on it. But I think that it will be too expensive. I'm looking at another 200-300 dollars to buy one separate.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    I just wouldn't. My first AR was an RRA. It was a mistake. Other than the two stage trigger, the rest of it, while what I thought I wanted, wasn't what I really wanted.

Get something in the config you actually want.

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    Buy what you want the first time

I wanted to get one with the rail already on it. But I think that it will be too expensive. I'm looking at another 200-300 dollars to buy one separate.[/quote

As a dealer who sells a lot of AR lowers and parts I know what separate prices are compared to buying a complete rifle and I suggest go with the complete rifle and save yourself some $$. I own a Rock River carbine and I changed the handguard to a floating quad rail and wish I just went with a model that had the rail to start. I don't know why someone would put Rock River firearms down, they are some of the highest rated you can buy. There are a lot of good rifles out there but some you pay for the name like Colt. Another option is buy a complete lower and buy a complete upper as suggested. Some guys like to build from the stripped lower up but I personally feel better if the factory does the work. Also if you don't have the tools it becomes an almost impossible task (but INGO has some build parties). :twocents:

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    I don't know why someone would put Rock River firearms down, they are some of the highest rated you can buy. There are a lot of good rifles out there but some you pay for the name like Colt.

Uh, no. This is obviously wrong.

RRA rifles have heavy barrels, non-mil spec buffer tubes, bolt carriers, 1 in 9 barrels, feed ramps cut with a dremel tool, etc. There's a laundry list of reasons to avoid Rock River Arms.

They build a functional, decent rifle. But they differ substantially from a mil-spec rifle, which many believe to have superior durability.

Personally, I won't own any carbine without:

proper M4 feed ramps
    1 in 7 twist barrel
    chrome lined bore
    gas system appropriate for barrel length
    etc.

Many of those features are missing from an RRA. Some of them matter, while others don't. It's easier to just buy a Colt or CMMG or a few others, which come with the proper parts out of the gate.

YMMV.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I just wouldn't. My first AR was an RRA. It was a mistake. Other than the two stage trigger, the rest of it, while what I thought I wanted, wasn't what I really wanted.

Get something in the config you actually want.

First time I've seen anyone put down rock river arms.....

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    Really

:nuts:
    Uh, no. This is obviously wrong.

RRA rifles have heavy barrels, non-mil spec buffer tubes, bolt carriers, 1 in 9 barrels, feed ramps cut with a dremel tool, etc. There's a laundry list of reasons to avoid Rock River Arms. They build a functional, decent rifle. But they differ substantially from a mil-spec rifle, which many believe to have superior durability. Personally, I won't own any carbine without:

proper M4 feed ramps
    1 in 7 twist barrel
    chrome lined bore
    gas system appropriate for barrel length
    etc.

Many of those features are missing from an RRA. Some of them matter, while others don't. It's easier to just buy a Colt or CMMG or a few others, which come with the proper parts out of the gate.

YMMV.

Lets see; the DEA and the FBI went from using Colts to Rock River Carbines because RRA makes such junk. :nuts:

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven

Lets see; the DEA and the FBI went from using Colts to Rock River Carbines because RRA makes such junk. :nuts:

some agencies use DPMS and Bushmaster too. i guess those are the same as Colt too?:n00b:

yeah, that TDP is complete hogwash.

what he said is correct. you might pay a bit for the Pony,but there are important differences too. not all ARs are created equal.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010

Where the hell did I say that anything was junk? I said it wasn't what I want.

If what you want is determined by what some law enforcement agency chooses, so be it. Plenty of companies, including the two I mentioned, sell parts and rifles to the military. I'm not saying that makes them better, but it's a fact.

If someone is "paying for a name" by buying a mil-spec carbine, then so be it. But the fact remains that there are demonstrable differences between what RRA is selling and what other companies are selling. If they are features that you want (such as the ones I mentioned, especially the 1 in 7 barrel and proper feed ramps), then don't buy an RRA. If you don't mind a 1 in 9 barrel and that your feed ramps are cut with a dremel tool, the buy an RRA.

I don't know how or why I made statements of factual differences, and said that it was not what I wanted, and somehow it was morphed into the idea that RRA builds junk (they certainly don't) or anything else.

RRA builds nice stuff and I'd love to have one if their 1911s if they'd build them again. I don't have an interest in owning another one of their ARs though.

OD*

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Indiana

The DEA did not drop Colt in favor of RRA, they supplemented Colt and SIG, with a smaller contact than either Colt or SIG, back in 2003.

AWARDS - July 4, 2003
    DEA-03-C-0030 - Estimated $115,142,537.00
    CARBINE RIFLE
    Sigarms, Inc., 18 Industrial Drive, Exeter, N. H. 03833

DEA-03-C-0032 - Estimated $85,923,935.00
    CARBINE RIFLE
    Rock River Arms, Inc., 1042 Cleveland Road, Colona, Il. 61241

DEA-03-C-0031 - Estimated $113,639,340.00
    CARBINE RIFLE
    Colt Defense LLC, PO Box 118, Hartford, Ct. 06141

DEA DEA-03-C-0030 Multi-Bureau Sigarms, Inc. 06/20/08 .223 Carbines

DEA DEA-03-C-0031 Multi-Bureau Colt Defense 06/20/08 .223 Carbines

DEA DEA-03-C-0032 Multi-Bureau Rock River Arms 06/20/08 .223 Carbines
    FBO#0582 | 04-Jul-03 | AWD | 10--Weapons

Last edited:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I own three RRA rifles. Two of them were purchased as complete rifles and I built the other myself. I've also been using a RRA as a duty weapon for the past three years. I have had no problems with any of them and I put my duty rifle through a 3500 round torture test to see what it could handle. I fired 3500 rounds through it over the course of several months without cleaning it and it never missed a beat. When I would take it out to shoot it all I did was add some lube and put it to work. After the test period I thoroughly cleaned and inspected it and aside from slightly worn gas rings it was in fantastic shape.

If you like what RRA offers buy with confidence. They are great rifles and still hand built one rifle at a time. There are differences between AR15 manufacturers for sure, find what will serve your purpose and enjoy.

Top Bottom