• ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    My kind of labor also. The kind of work that we have raised our youth to be afraid of.

:)
    I find it exhilarating.
    Last week I was doing drywall work.
    Today I was on scaffolding doing siding.
    Tomorrow morning I'll be installing a battery back up sump pump.
    With me it's something different every day.
    Things rarely get mundane for me.

cg21

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    And I found one!
    Boy howdy did I find a mess, but this is a jewel in the rough (again), and just needs some TLC and a lot of spit and polish.

For those who read about my last fiasco bidding on property at auction (whole different thread), this situation is different.
    I don't close for another 9 days, but this is a cash sale with no appraisal, no inspections, and no warranty.

I do this kind of thing for a living, so it looks different to me than it does to most.
    O.k. enough chit chat.
    Some pics, and more details to follow.View attachment 297545View attachment 297546View attachment 297548View attachment 297549View attachment 297550
    This house was built in 1920.
    3 bedrooms and 1 bath.
    3.5+ acres accompanying the house, along with a huge chicken coop (must be 40'long) an orchard of some sort that I can't find through the undergrowth.
    The last occupant went into a nursing home and passed shortly after.
    The house has been sitting empty for 3 years and homeless have broken in and you can see what they did with the personal affects.

Yes, I have some work ahead of me, but I can see through the clutter.
    Built in 1920, this place has plaster walls, and there's not a single crack in the aster, ANYWHERE!
    Not one on any ceiling, walls are all smooth.
    I can't see the floors, but I'm not concerned about that.
    I'll deal with them once I excavate that deep.
    This place had horses at some point and there is a small stable with 4 stalls.
    I have about 3 acres between me and my closest neighbor.
    Three sides are farm fields.

I can't wait to get started...
    So not sure what you do for a living since you said you’re putting in a shooting berm lol are you moving in? Looks like an awesome place

So I too love old houses…… but there is one thing I HATE ……. I always feel like there is something else hidden that I am missing. They always have hidden treasure. (Jewelry money gold silver firearms etc etc) false shelves … loose floorboards.. removable cedar planks…. it consumes me lol

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    So not sure what you do for a living since you said you’re putting in a shooting berm lol are you moving in? Looks like an awesome place

So I too love old houses…… but there is one thing I HATE ……. I always feel like there is something else hidden that I am missing. They always have hidden treasure. (Jewelry money gold silver firearms etc etc) false shelves … loose floorboards.. removable cedar planks…. it consumes me lol
    Yes, I am moving in, eventually.
    The shooting berm is for proficiency training and amusement.
    As for hidden treasures...I have hopes, and will be dissecting this structure over time.

cg21

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Yes, I am moving in, eventually.
    The shooting berm is for proficiency training and amusement.
    As for hidden treasures...I have hopes, and will be dissecting this structure over time.
    Curious …. seems you have done more renovations than me. Isn’t the plaster being in great shape almost a burden? Because now running the mechanicals is going to be more difficult, since I’m sure you will be updating electric plumbing and hvac

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Curious …. seems you have done more renovations than me. Isn’t the plaster being in great shape almost a burden? Because now running the mechanicals is going to be more difficult, since I’m sure you will be updating electric plumbing and hvac
    Yes and no.
    Sometimes you have to get creative.
    I've pulled base trim, especially the large (tall) old stuff and run wiring behind the trim.
    Nail plates to protect the wires where they penetrate the studs.
    A/c is the most difficult and usually ends up in a chase or bulkhead of sorts.
    Several times in old houses I've run wiring, drains, and water supply lines from the basement to the 2nd floor with no damage at all on the main floor.
    I used the space behind a large pocket door as a built-in chase.
    Abbracadabra, upstairs bath.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.4%
    153   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Yes and no.
    Sometimes you have to get creative.
    I've pulled base trim, especially the large (tall) old stuff and run wiring behind the trim.
    Nail plates to protect the wires where they penetrate the studs.
    A/c is the most difficult and usually ends up in a chase or bulkhead of sorts.
    Several times in old houses I've run wiring, drains, and water supply lines from the basement to the 2nd floor with no damage at all on the main floor.
    I used the space behind a large pocket door as a built-in chase.
    Abbracadabra, upstairs bath.
    Would something like a P-tac unit or mini split system work on an older, smaller house?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Best of luck with this project. Was this a tax auction? Estate? Just curious. If it was the former, I have some questions I’d like to ask.

Top Bottom