I hope I am wrong, but is this hammer cocked?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I would think that safety would be the number one concern. Not sure what the terminology is but, the half cocked or safety cocked position would seem safer to me, just my thoughts.

I could be wrong, and no, it is not about the children, it's about not having an accidental discharge.

There is a manual safety that (as designed) prevents the trigger from being pulled and thereby prevents the hammer from falling. It is generall on the left side of the gun, so it is not seen in a picture showing only the right side. With a hammer down on a loaded chamber, in all 1911s, you would have to pull the trigger an manually lower the hammer. This is not m favorite activity as accidents happen. In some 1911s, a blow to the back of the gun on the hammer with the hammer down can drive the firing pin forward, firing the gun.

With the hammer cocked and the manual (thumb safety) engaged, a 1911 is at its safest while ready for action.

The half-cock is there to catch the hammer and keep it from hitting the firing pin if it slips while you are manually cocking the hammer.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    I would think that safety would be the number one concern. Not sure what the terminology is but, the half cocked or safety cocked position would seem safer to me, just my thoughts.

I could be wrong, and no, it is not about the children, it's about not having an accidental discharge.

What possible advantage is there to carrying half cocked? You really want to have to upholster, disengage safety, and cock the gun before it will fire? You might as well Israeli carry.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Walking about with the hammer cocked? Might just be me, but I wouldn't do it. Unsafe?

I don't know, thus I ask the forums input. Thank you.

JMB, designed the 1911, to be carried, condition 1, cocked and locked ..... You have a manual safety, and

a grip safety, so 2 safeties, have to be "moved" to fire this gun .....

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Two things

I didn't notice any revolvers in the clip being in the cocked position.

And can I get some props for even catching that?
    Generally (to my limited knowledge of wheel guns), there's no safety to "lock" the hammer back. So, carrying like that raises the risk of something accidentally moving the trigger back, releasing the hammer to do what the hammer does - shoot the gun.

With the 1911s, there is, which gave rise to the phrase "cocked and locked." It is locked back until the safety is released.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Two things

I didn't notice any revolvers in the clip being in the cocked position.

And can I get some props for even catching that?

The revolver I saw in the clip was a single action and does not have a manual safety. Such a gun is unsafe to carry cocked, unlike a 1911.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    OP do you believe Glocks are unsafe to carry?

Maverick said:
    That's right, Ice... man. I am dangerous.
    iceman-maverick-i-am-dangerous-med.jpg

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus

There is no half cocked position on a 1911, that is a "tiny" idiot safety stop that is meant to prevent an AD when you are thumb cocking the gun and your thumb should happen to slip off mid process. What is safety cocked? Is that the same as half cocked? If so that is one of the least safe states of cocked outside of hammer down on a loaded chamber.

See below \/
    .......The half-cock is there to catch the hammer and keep it from hitting the firing pin if it slips while you are manually cocking the hammer.

Just wanted to say cocked one more time. cocked.

307SD

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2016
    Down by the river.
    I have an acquaintance that is active military guard, also on a local municipal police force, and is a prepper to boot, he swears by glocks and 9mm.

Top Bottom