• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

Well, that too, but That didnt require stitches.

No, I was jumping down off a stake bed truck and snagged my wedding band on the top of the rail. I jumped down and the ring stayed put. The fact that my hands were wet was the only thing that saved my finger. While I didnt lose either, I cant put the two together anymore due to permanent swelling. And wearing the ring on my other hand is a psychological issue for me. Tried it once and within seconds I HAD to get it off.

Glad to hear you are healing Doug. Keep that positive outlook.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

I was disappointed my phone didn't ring but a setting was set in such a way that it wouldn't ring while updating.

Anywho's, I learned that my second surgery will be next week on Wednesday at 1430. I would have preferred in the morning but I know I am darn lucky just to be fit in at all.

It will be outpatient, probably at FWO out on the SW side.

I know I will be hungry for dinner that evening. The question will be what I am able to handle...

The last time it took awhile for my appetite to come back but I was in the hospital then, so who knows?

Anyway, that is my latest update.

Regards,

Doug

gpjerry

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2012
    Terre Haute
    Last year I had a motorcycle accident and broke both of my forearms, one of them badly. I feel your pain on doing simple things without the use of both hands. You are in my prayers.

John Galt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Wow, I just saw this and read through the entire thread. My two cents ...
    1) My prayers are with you, your goddaughter and anyone else affected by this incident. Godspeed on a successful recovery!
    2) Thank you for sharing. It is a reminder that bad things can still happen under the best of intentions.
    3) Thankfully, it wasn't a .45. Your arm would be gone ...... ;)

Dosproduction

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Porter County
    Wow this is some crazy stuff. Was wondering was it the first shot she pulled and did she tilt it up first and that is how u got shot or did the recoil send it high enough to hit u before the first shot left the barrel. I have a 6 yr old daughter that i have been holding out on teaching till i have a 22 pistol and now am even more for waiting. The pics look nasty but HAD to look.

ziggy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Fort Wayne area
    I'm sorry to hear of your unfortunate accident. Prayers for a full recovery. I expect the road will not be short nor without difficulties.

Always glad to support a libertarian!

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Personal preference/choice. I can teach them safe firearm handling rules. I can teach them to aim, and to punch paper. But I'm not a firearms instructor. Until I've satisfied myself that they're capable and ready to handle a handgun, I'm not going to take chances. (See: the OP, and the 9-year-old with the Uzi.)

The first matter is safety of others. Part of the reason for starting them on a rifle is that it is much easier to keep them from pointing it somewhere it shouldn't be pointed. But that's not the biggest issue in the long-term. Mastery of firearm handling safety isn't rocket science; it's just discipline.

The bigger issue is safety for themselves. Handguns require an entirely different level of strength, hand-eye coordination, and other factors that I don't believe she's ready for at 7, and I don't know when that changes.

This is my first go-around with teaching someone to handle firearms and to shoot. I'm playing it by ear. And when it comes to my kids, I'm pretty risk-averse.

I have no argument with your preferences, however when I learned to shoot in the 1940's and 50's, no one had heard of a "firearm instructor" except in the military (required you to be quite a lot older than a child). I and all of my friends of that era learned from parents and or other relatives. Somehow we all learned gun safety, and if I may be so bold ~ most of us became pretty skilled marksmen and hunters. Although I do not have a "certification" (paper signed by someone who considers themselves an expert), I feel very confident I was able to teach my children and grandchildren to safely shoot firearms, including handguns, shotguns and rifles from 22's to Hi-power.

Again not disparaging your viewpoint, just stating many very capable shooters have not been "trained" by so called experts. Many parents rightfully feel they have the skills and ability to teach their children safe, effective use of firearms. As they know their children better than anyone else (and really are more concerned than anyone else that the child is kept safe) I think they should be commended. I have personally seen "experts" do things I would not allow my children to do, and also make a great fuss about things that I feel have little value in maintaining safety.

To the OP, hoping for your quick recovery, certainly sorry this happened to you, thanks for posting. By the way my deceased FIL, (a trained police officer) lost the tip of his finger while shooting a short barrel handgun. A moments lapse in judgement can happen to any of us, I'm sure I have been somewhat lucky in my 73 years, (regardless of my safe handling) that I have never had any issue, other than a few blisters from grasping a VERY HOT barrel of an AK or SKS, figured out quickly why the ventilated cover is on that gun.

Last edited:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Thanks for keeping us posted on the progress. It's good to see that you are on the path to healing and hopefully, there will be no lasting effects from this. You mentioned a long wait at the hospital for xrays. One thing that helps is if you have a smartphone, download the Kindle app and load a book or two to it. If you ever find yourself stuck for a long time, being able to read a book can help pass the time. I have a bunch of books on my phone for that exact reason and they range from books on how to weld, 'Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance', 'Killing Lincoln', a history of PT boat warfare during WWII and many others. There's always something interesting to read in your pocket with that app.

Top Bottom