• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • malachi_s

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 30, 2010
    North Central Indian
    How will answering questions keep you out of cuffs? Just the opposite happened.

The officer didn't respond poorly and put the OP in cuffs until he did answer a question.

I doubt Chefcook will choose to do that again. I know I won't.

The correct answer is always a polite, "Why am I being detained?"
    That didn't seem to work though. At first chef candidly, if I can presume that, asked if he was free to go, I never did hear that the police officer answered him. He did however fail to answer the initial question as to where was he going or where has he been. ATM, I agree with you and everyone else who thinks this stinks. I just think I will politely answer a couple of questions that not answering will only irritate a unprofessional acting law officer. Flame me for having an opinion but I didn't try to change anyone's mind did I?

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ...Flame me for having an opinion but I didn't try to change anyone's mind did I?

I was just questioning the basis for your opinion and offering my personal answer to an open question you asked.

I'm not a flamer. :D

I also wonder if the officer would have responded in the exact same manner to the weapons question even if Chefcook had given him answers to the unrelated preceding questions he asked. :dunno:

I suspect he would have.

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    I was just questioning the basis for your opinion and offering my personal answer to an open question you asked.

I'm not a flamer. :D

I also wonder if the officer would have responded in the exact same manner to the weapons question even if Chefcook had given him answers to the unrelated preceding questions he asked. :dunno:

I suspect he would have.

I suspect he was trying out new lures for his next fishing expedition or chefcook was driving like a jackwagon personally but I am holding that back until we get more of the story.

malachi_s

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 30, 2010
    North Central Indian

The basis for my opinion is actually just a sop I employ that sometimes, and I will say more often than not, keeps me from getting put in cuffs. When they ask me where I am going, I tell them. I don't get on a soap box and preach my constitutional rights to them, they don't want to hear that. Just like they like to say, as long as everyone goes home safely at the end of the day, it was a good one.

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    See, here it always goes and I am as guilty as everyone else. Its US against THEM, it shouldn't be like that.

No I said it could be either way I am not blaming the LEO or the OP because I don't think we have the whole story otherwise if it went as it was told this LEO should be up in front of whatever and all honor judges or behavior review committee there is. HOWEVER I have never met a LEO that was this out of line EVER on a road side stop.

malachi_s

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 30, 2010
    North Central Indian
    That's fine for those who value safety as their highest priority.
    As for me, no thanks. I'll go home with my Liberty intact or I won't go home.

The last thing I wanted to do was start some kind of war of words with anyone ATM, its this easy, you win. Disagreement over. Some things are not worth dying for, and answering a cops questions on a road side stop is one of them. As much as I think you are standing on the principle of the matter I have to believe that people that care for you want to see you come home every night safe and unharmed, harrassed or violated in any way but if you were, they still want you home.

Now, I am free to go? Am I being detained? No, thank you and have a nice day.

Last edited:

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    the only answer to a cop's question about firearms in the vehicle is "none that you need to worry about"

I hate how society has gotten to the point that law abiding citizens are treated like criminals for exercising their rights.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    If we agreed on everything around here, how interesting would that be?

Just throw your hands in the air and leave the room like my wife does. :):

Now, I am free to go? Am I being detained? No, thank you and have a nice day

...after I check your glove compartment. ;)

malachi_s

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 30, 2010
    North Central Indian
    Well, I'm not going to say how terrible this board has gotten and this is my farewell, I shall never return only to check back every fifteen minutes to see what has been said about me. Give me liberty or give me back what was in my glove box! I demand a dual, sir, you have questioned my honor and I will have satisfaction but I have to go to the bathroom first.

Satisfaction

Throws hands in the air and storms out of the office.

Last edited:

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Waiting for someone to pull out of a bar and pulling them over for that reason alone as mentioned above is entrapment and illegal.

That actually does not constitute Entrapment. Absent probable cause or reasonable suspicion that a crime had been or was currently being committed, the court would rule the stop improper and any evidence obtained as a result of the stop would be suppressed. Disclaimer: I don't sit outside of bars waiting for patrons to leave, nor do I agree with officers who do.

IC 35-41-3-9
    Entrapment
    Sec. 9. (a) It is a defense that:
    (1) the prohibited conduct of the person was the product of a law enforcement officer, or his agent, using persuasion or other means likely to cause the person to engage in the conduct; and
    (2) the person was not predisposed to commit the offense.
    (b) Conduct merely affording a person an opportunity to commit the offense does not constitute entrapment.
    As added by Acts 1976, P.L.148, SEC.1. Amended by Acts 1977, P.L.340, SEC.14.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    Careful, Ive been saying this, and look where its got me.

It wasn't you asking questions & wanting more details from Chef that got you there. It was your "bend-over-&-take-it-up-the-rear-thank-you-sir-may-I-have-another-please-don't-hit-me-massa-I"ll-gladly-&-easily-give-up-my-rights-that-millions-have-died-to-protect" attitude that you promoted that got you there.

IOW, you are being a :sheep: & asking others to do the same.

I don't get on a soap box and preach my constitutional rights to them, they don't want to hear that.

So? I really don't care what they want to hear.

THEY volunteered for the job. That job entails dealing with citizens who have rights. They don't get to infringe on my rights just because I don't :bowdown: & kiss their butt. If they can't handle that then, as I've said a hundred times, McDonald's is usually hiring.

I personally think that more of them need to hear about people rights even more than they (very seldom) do already.

Just like they like to say, as long as everyone goes home safely at the end of the day, it was a good one.

I guess that depends on your definition of "safely". Are you really "safe" if you've been pulled from your car at gun-point, handcuffed & made to lay face down in the dirt while they verify your "papers, please" for doing nothing illegal other than a simple traffic violation?

Since we have obviously come to accept that then we are no longer "safe" from the police.

They can already take your DNA by force. Now we find that it's OK to search a glove box without a warrant. Next it'll be OK to tap your phones without a warrant (wait...we've already got that too...), then it'll be OK to search your house without a warrant "for officer safety". How about a good ol' fashion cavity search on the side of the road? Hey, you never know where someone who really wants to kill a cop might conceal a weapon...

The more we have people like old norm-o around, the more the government will use them to their advantage. "See, people really don't mind giving up essential liberty for a little security. Old Ben Franklin had no idea what he was talking about."

Top Bottom