• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    That is one big storm. We had some friends leave early from their fall break trip to Turks because of it. My mom is just south of Daytona beach and is bracing. She's far enough inland to just get wind and rain and be OK. We are leaving for a cruise on October 15 from Miami and it better be gone. The wrap around curl is making me nervous...

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I have some coworkers down that way. Orlando area, and then near Daytona Beach. They have been prepping all week. The one near the beach is under a mandatory evacuation order. Doubt they will leave, though. They are more worried about post-storm looting than the storm itself. They were cleaned out years ago after a storm.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I heard on the radio this morning that they are concerned that once it hits South Carolina it might head back south. I don't believe I have seen that before. My daughter and her family live in West Palm Beach and bugged out yesterday for Clearwater. They were going to ride it out but decided to be safe rather than sorry.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    My wife has been trying to talk me into going into a cruise for 20 years and I finally relented. Our boat sails Saturday out of Baltimore headed for Bermuda. The whole loop-de-loop thing is good for us since it keeps the hurricane south of us, but I feel for the people that might get hit twice by the same storm. As someone who doesn't care for being on the water in the first place I still find it strange to think that we are going to sail into seas that have a hurricane nearby.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    My wife has been trying to talk me into going into a cruise for 20 years and I finally relented. Our boat sails Saturday out of Baltimore headed for Bermuda. The whole loop-de-loop thing is good for us since it keeps the hurricane south of us, but I feel for the people that might get hit twice by the same storm. As someone who doesn't care for being on the water in the first place I still find it strange to think that we are going to sail into seas that have a hurricane nearby.

I know the Navy ships in Mayport are under a sortie order. They should be all gone sometime today I would think. A ship is almost always safer at sea then being caught in port.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I know the Navy ships in Mayport are under a sortie order. They should be all gone sometime today I would think. A ship is almost always safer at sea then being caught in port.

I don't doubt that, but I am more concerned about the land-lubber that supposed to be on it than the ship itself. :)

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I don't doubt that, but I am more concerned about the land-lubber that supposed to be on it than the ship itself. :)

Um, it could be a rough ride. Avoid greasy foods and dairy. Eat lots of crackers and get fresh air whenever possible. I wish you the best of luck.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    My mom has their hurricane metal shutters up, batteries for radios, cell phones charged, freezers full of water. Is that for keeping food cold longer?

She is on county council so her cell may be prioritized in case of limited tower availability. Good for us for news I guess.

Back in 2004 I was drooling over all the salvaged boats down in Gulf Coast areas after the trifecta of hurricanes. You could get a 40' boat for $5,000 with an intact hull but it needed completely new engine, interior, and electronics.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    Tollway is gridlock, everybody waited to leave and now no one is going anywhere...

IMG_20161006_134751396.jpg

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I was watching the news during lunch and the newscaster said that if you drive farther away from the hurricane, the less wind and rain you will receive. I thought that was brilliant and very informative. I'm glad he shared it with millions of Americans, probably saved a few thousand lives with that tidbit of intellectual magnificence.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    What's really amazing is everyone is going North to get out, all you have to do is head for the west coast and you would have a nice weekend on the cheap, nice hotels, good food, and quick to get home.

Arm America

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    West of Greenwood
    What's really amazing is everyone is going North to get out, all you have to do is head for the west coast and you would have a nice weekend on the cheap, nice hotels, good food, and quick to get home.
    If they continue North, they won't get further than the fuel on hand. The fuel is gone, hotels full and Resturant's closed. We flew in to Lauderdale last night. Alamo gave us a big upgrade in an effort to get their car out of Dodge. This storm is going to be devistating.

Top Bottom