How would you like to be treated by law-enforcement?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Honestly I just want the same respect you do.

Truce?

Since we're way off subject here now.

:yesway:

We can salvage the discussion, now that you know cops can't pull people over for driving to check their license let me fill you in on another FEDERAL case about OC: Federal judge rules police cannot detain people for openly carrying guns - Washington DC gun rights | Examiner.com

What it means is that if it is legal to OC in your state WITHOUT a license (like Kentucky or Ohio) police cannot stop or detain you based on OC.

It sadly does not apply to Indiana at the moment because we must have a license to OC. Even still the case law of Richardson v. Indiana says that after producing a valid LTCH all further inquiry into firearms must cease.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Perfect. Unless the individual doesn't have a license

By that I assume you mean 1 of 2 things.

1) The individual does not have a license at all. In that case they are in violation of State Law and earn a free, courtesy, VIP trip in a municipal vehicle.

2) They do not have the license on them, but they do have a current and valid license. The officer should be able to easily check this information with Name and Date of Birth. This will of course now start the discussion about whether a person needs to show ID if stopped and asked about a gun. But in this situation I would think the officer would want to see something to confirm identity.

chrisjross85

Plinker
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Feb 3, 2012
    Martinsville,IN
    First off I would like to say that I am not a cop I am a Firefighter, Cops should treat you the same as if you treat them. If there ask for your Carry permit give it to them if they ask to see your firearm let them. There jobs are bad enough the way it is, as gun owners we should help them out. Now let me say if there an ass I am going to be one as well, if I am in the right and they are wrong.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    How would I like to be treated? I'd like to be left alone. If you must interact with me then go back and see POST #3 in this thread. If you get a MWAG call via the 9-1-1 dispatch then it should probably be handled like the following, so that I am not bothered and so that you don't waste your time:

9-1-1 OPERATOR: What is your emergency?

CALLER: There is a man with a gun at the Tractor Supply!!!

9-1-1 OPERATOR: What is he doing?

CALLER: He appears to be shopping for some tools, horse feed and a farm magazine, at least that is what I can see in his shopping cart.

9-1-1 OPERATOR: So what is the emergency?

CALLER: He has a gun on his hip!!!

9-1-1 OPERATOR: Is it in a holster?

CALLER: Uh, yes?

9-1-1 OPERATOR: So what is the emergency?

CALLER: HE HAS A GUN!!!

9-1-1 OPERATOR: Sir/Maam, that is perfectly legal in this state, citizens are allowed to exercise their rights as long as they have the state issued LTCH, have passed the background checks, submitted their fingerprints, etc. In fact roughly 10% of the adults in Indiana have been issued licenses, but most people carry their guns concealed. That said, its perfectly legal to carry a handgun in an exposed holster.

IS THERE AN EMERGENCY?

CALLER: 'click'​

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    First off I would like to say that I am not a cop I am a Firefighter, Cops should treat you the same as if you treat them. If there ask for your Carry permit give it to them if they ask to see your firearm let them. There jobs are bad enough the way it is, as gun owners we should help them out. Now let me say if there an ass I am going to be one as well, if I am in the right and they are wrong.

Treat them the same as they treat you. - Agreed

Their jobs are bad enough.- No worse then mine. I applied for it. I collect the pay check. I agree to do it. My LEO buddies seem to do pretty well for themselves.

Let them see the license - Sure. It is illegal to carry without a licence.

Let them see the gun - Only if they have a reason. For instance I am committing a crime. In that case take me into custody. Otherwise leave the dang gun alone! Holstered guns are safe guns.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    ... Let them see the gun - Only if they have a reason. For instance I am committing a crime. In that case take me into custody. Otherwise leave the dang gun alone! Holstered guns are safe guns.

Yup. Eventually, there's going to be a discharge, and/or someone is going to get shot because of unnecessary coon fingering during such encounters.

Then whose fault will it be?

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Teary eyed and butthurt? I didn't tell anyone to[STRIKE] shut up [/STRIKE]shut their mouth and I consider that rude and disrespectful.
    I only referenced the liberal comment because he made it appear that he was too good to provide references. If you got butthurt over that ....ummmm.... so sad.

I had no idea of the case name, I just happened to have read it before and knew it to be a fact, sorry I could not be of further help

shadohman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    You understand that it is illegal to carry a handgun in Indiana unless you have a permit. (Or license. I apologize to the poster who believes me to be ignorant because I called the license a permit. I've been around for a while and we used to always call them a Triple-P or Personal Protection Permit.)

You forgot about IC 35-47-2-2 Excepted persons which allows LEO's to carry without breaking the law.

griffin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Okemos, MI
    Does Delaware have some juristiction here in Indiana? Or do we really use court cases from other states to help decide on cases here in Indiana?
    It was a SCOTUS case. Since you have no idea, let me explain: Supreme Court of the United States of America.
    I am NOT a lawyer.
    No one here noticed.

Although we all did notice you were too lazy to even click on the Wikipedia link, never mind the case law.

People ask for links as proof, then are too lazy to click on them. :rolleyes:

HobbyGuy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Newburgh
    I'll take them from anyone. You might even get one from me next time I see you out.

I am off on vacation. After Saturday night, I could use a vacation. Thanks for the offer.

You are welcome to stop by my business. But since I have diabetes the chocolate chip cookies are sugar free. But I would share one with you. :D

GetA2J

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Terre Haute,Indiana
    It was a SCOTUS case. Since you have no idea, let me explain: Supreme Court of the United States of America. No one here noticed.

Although we all did notice you were too lazy to even click on the Wikipedia link, never mind the case law.

People ask for links as proof, then are too lazy to click on them. :rolleyes:

Got yer zinger in there didn't ya?
    This never gets old does it?

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Got yer zinger in there didn't ya?
    This never gets old does it?

I saw no zinger in there. Why would you ask for evidence then ignore it when its presented? :dunno:

Seems to me that you are the one who is clearly uninformed, and when information is provided you choose to ignore it. Now you seem butthurt by the fact that the truth is shown to you/about you. WTF?

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bengineer
    Top Bottom