• mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    You're not going to find any support for ordinances here regarding the use of firearms because it's an activity that many here enjoy or participate in.

I understand and I agree...I don't want people telling me I can't target shoot or hunt on my own property either. It is sad that regulation should even have to be discussed but when their behavior impacts others' safety, how do you do something about it if nobody will tell them to stop until someone gets shot? It is just a sad situation. I'd hate to see a neighbor pay the ultimate price for his stupidity. I don't think requiring a backstop should be such a bad thing? I don't know a single responsible gun owner that would object to that requirement.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    There are rules in place with the state for ranges used by the public, but not for private ranges on the owner's land.

Depends if there are ordinances in that locale. Many locales have ordinances regarding the discharge of a firearm. My old house was in a small town and a neighbor continually let his dogs run loose. I asked multiple times if there was an ordinance against discharging a firearm in my locale and never could get a straight answer. The general answer was that unless there was flesh missing from myself or family, I was going to get arrested.

There have been multiple threads here of homeowners or those looking at properties if there were ordinances regarding the discharge of firearms for their particular locale. I've never once seen it addressed as a trespass issue.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I understand and I agree...I don't want people telling me I can't target shoot or hunt on my own property either. It is sad that regulation should even have to be discussed but when their behavior impacts others' safety, how do you do something about it if nobody will tell them to stop until someone gets shot? It is just a sad situation. I'd hate to see a neighbor pay the ultimate price for his stupidity. I don't think requiring a backstop should be such a bad thing? I don't know a single responsible gun owner that would object to that requirement.

You probably won't find a more anti ordinance/code enforcement person here than me. How would a backstop requirement be enforced? When hunting, do we all wait until the animal presents itself in front of a berm?

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    You probably won't find a more anti ordinance/code enforcement person here than me. How would a backstop requirement be enforced? When hunting, do we all wait until the animal presents itself in front of a berm?

If there is no backstop and it is required, then the law enforcement/DNR have grounds to do something as far as charging fines, etc. Responsible hunters know what direction they are shooting and make sure their bullet is not going to cause harm if they should miss their target. They also wait for a GOOD shot before firing. I know many who do not do this and should, but so far, that has not been an issue for us here. I understand your point, and, again, an ordinance is not my first choice. If nothing else resolves the matter, I am not opposed to going to our county commissioners and raising the issue.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    I am not a fan of ordinances and am not in favor of even suggesting regulating guns, but when the police tell you they cannot help deal with a situation as unsafe as this because they have no grounds to do anything..

Don't worry about the resident knuckleheads. Don't even need to plumb the ordinance issue. Lawyer up and you should be good to go.

For those who think anyone who complains is a Zionsville mom, rest assured there are plenty of countryfolk who don't enjoy clowns slinging lead into their property. That does NOT make them anti-2d A or anti-liberty. On the other hand, some INGOers profess they would not be upset by a toxic waste dump moving in next door.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Don't worry about the resident knuckleheads. Don't even need to plumb the ordinance issue. Lawyer up and you should be good to go.

For those who think anyone who complains is a Zionsville mom, rest assured there are plenty of countryfolk who don't enjoy clowns slinging lead into their property. That does NOT make them anti-2d A or anti-liberty. On the other hand, some INGOers profess they would not be upset by a toxic waste dump moving in next door.

How does one argue for the necessity of an ordinance regarding eye sores but against an ordinance that could prevent another from shooting your eye out?

Max Volume

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    You have talked to him several times, called law enforcement several times and written here several times. Doing the same thing over and over expecting different results is futile. Talk once, call once then try other options such as a lawyer. A police officer can only offer an opinion unless guided by a state law or local ordinance, provided they know them all.

Contact an attorney and whatever is going on will be straightened out as to who is right or wrong.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I had a neighbor like this, beer drinking idiot that had his little kids set beer cans 1' away from the road and shoot at them...directly at the road. Contacted DNR and told him I was worried they would requchey off the ground an hit house across the road or even hit a car someday across the field. He said no law on backstops also, but he would be liable for any damage his bullets did. He talked with the idiot and no more gun fire, plus the beer cans he wouldn't pick up don't blow over to my yard anymore. I would see a lawyer in your case....money away from beer might make the idiot think.

I would think damage and reckless disregard for your property and LIFE.
    I thought it was UNlawful, to shoot across a road .....

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Mom45, I had a thought or two on your predicament and your frustration getting LEO assistance...Could it be that they're reluctant "to do anything" be because they don't have proof that your neighbor is actually the one shooting up your property? I'll take your word for it that the damage you've described and shown to us and the LEO's was done by your neighbor. But have the sheriff/DNR actually been there when your neighbor was shooting across your property? If not, it's your word against his and the evidence doesn't necessarily mean he did it--in a third party's perspective.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    They were shooting when the DNR was there yesterday and the neighbor west of them called them this time because the bullets were whizzing past his head and had him trapped behind a tree. The shooting was nonstop and he was afraid to even make a run for the house because so many were flying past him. He was in a panic when he called me asking what to do. I gave him the sheriff's number and told him to call...figured more than one person doing the call would help our cause so it wasn't just one person whining...looking at it from their perspective. I don't feel I was whining and the deputy agreed that it looked quite unsafe. The sheriff knows us personally so I doubt that he would think we were making this up in any way, and I do plan to chat with him when I see him about the way this is being handled. I have a meeting in town tomorrow and have a call in to get the copies of their reports so I'm hoping he will be in his office when I stop in to follow up on that call. When the neighbor called in, the dispatcher asked him what all the noise was because she was having trouble hearing him. He told her it was them shooting and to please send someone. The ONE deputy on duty was on another call so she sent the DNR.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    They were shooting when the DNR was there yesterday and the neighbor west of them called them this time because the bullets were whizzing past his head and had him trapped behind a tree. The shooting was nonstop and he was afraid to even make a run for the house because so many were flying past him. He was in a panic when he called me asking what to do. I gave him the sheriff's number and told him to call...figured more than one person doing the call would help our cause so it wasn't just one person whining...looking at it from their perspective. I don't feel I was whining and the deputy agreed that it looked quite unsafe. The sheriff knows us personally so I doubt that he would think we were making this up in any way, and I do plan to chat with him when I see him about the way this is being handled. I have a meeting in town tomorrow and have a call in to get the copies of their reports so I'm hoping he will be in his office when I stop in to follow up on that call. When the neighbor called in, the dispatcher asked him what all the noise was because she was having trouble hearing him. He told her it was them shooting and to please send someone. The ONE deputy on duty was on another call so she sent the DNR.

That sounds like dereliction.

Top Bottom