Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Ambush training, +1

Making a paint mess in your house, -10

ouch..

:rolleyes:
    Do I really have to explain everything ...
    Of course after you grab a real gun and make your friends clean the house at gunpoint. ;)

But if you are a good shot only your friends should be covered in paint, not the house anyway.

OIIIIIO

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    I've got a 90 lb lab that I have been teaching to "clear a room" We practice after dark and I will rack the slide on the shotty enter a room, hit it with a weapon light and tell him to clear the room. Not sure he really knows what is going on, but he is in a high state of aggression and I suspect that if we ever found anyone in there, they will definitely have their hands full with the dog! :D

My wife just shakes her head and smiles......

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    In all seriousness, knowing your home/apartment/garage/shack/trailer/car's layout is a good thing. If you can't walk around your place in the dark then you need to learn it.

Having a good flashlight helps in low light.

Learning how to pie the doorways in your house and where potential hiding spots are is valuable information.

As I already stated, any sort of training if done properly will help you stay alive..

Personally I have arrived home to find a door kicked in, backed the truck out of the drive way, went around the block and sat with eyes on my house and called cops, let them know where I was, that I was armed and that I would not move until they cleared my property and reported back to me.

Thats what they get paid for... They did a fine job, ended up a guy thought the car sitting in my driveway was his wifes, it looks like it but plates were different, he kicked in the door looking to beat the guys butt she was cheating on him with, he actually left me an apology note and $200 to repair the door.

One of the cops said he had never seen that before..

All in all, if it's serious, I will only clear my house if I am already in it. Run drills with your family, they know if I yell that they should assume their hiding position, and then I know if anything is moving it is a target and not them..

Not an expert, but I did recently stay at a Holiday Inn..

JoshuaRWhite

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    South Bend, Indiana
    Best to be prepared than surprised.

If you really are worried, hit the lights...call the police and remain inside with weapon ready. I always think it unwise to leave family/loved one's unattended.

Not only that but remember the Castle law. If you leave the walls of your "castle" and have to defend yourself the law will be against you. It will be looked at as if you actively engaged the suspect, "went looking for trouble".

Last edited:

1911Shooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Pendleton, IN
    You are not the only one. I do it from time to time. It lets me get a feel for the best way to go about doing it in a bad situation. I have never had to do it for real but its nice to know how to go about it.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    There were some shots fired (apparently) and a bunch of lights being shined around recently. I cleared the house and checked the secure doors with an M4. My house is in a spiral, so it clears easily. I have motion sensor lights and 9 cameras. The Schnauzer will bark at other dogs or black people outside, but try to show how much she loves someone that's inside. Basically worse than useless. Wish I'd had the scanner reprogrammed; I do now. I'll know what's up.

paintman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    new castle indiana
    i end up clearing my house at least once a week. my wife is paranoid and thinks every sound she hears is someone breaking in. i have no fear of the back of the house. you would have to shoot my saint bernard to get past him and then i would be really p***ed :xmad:

twisyblackmetal

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 12, 2010
    I hadn't really thought about it much, but now I think the next time my friend comes over we will each grab an airsoft and play a little hide and seek. Might be good to see where a clever Marine chooses to hide. Then beers and an after action discussion....

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I hadn't really thought about it much, but now I think the next time my friend comes over we will each grab an airsoft and play a little hide and seek. Might be good to see where a clever Marine chooses to hide. Then beers and an after action discussion....

I took a room clearing class last winder from PD Training here on INGO. One of the excersizes we did was a "hide and seek" type of drill like you are suggesting, only with blue guns. That, more than anything, really opened my eyes to the dangers of clearing, as well as to how relatively easy it can be for a man to hide in a house.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I recently moved into an apartment in the city, (from a large house on several acres in the country,) and I've found myself taking a peek around more often now than before.

Worst was shortly after moving in....was lying in bed, fiancee had left for work already, when I could SWEAR that I heard somebody coming up the stairs. They were way too big to be my fiancee coming back for something, and I knew that nobody else had the key.

I rolled out of bed and picked up my G17, but held it at my side; I didn't know what was going on, but I knew I was just out of bed and probably still fuzzy-headed and didn't want to do anything stupid.

I shortly realized that the neighbors townhome has stairs that are next to ours, through the wall. If someone goes up or down them rapidly, (or loudly,) its quite disconcerting until you get used to it.

Every now and then I go check things out...its not really out of the ordinary, since I've always got a gun nearby anyway. Heck, even my fiancee has cleared the house once; she looked downstairs and saw the door open, picked up her 38 and checked the bottom floor. Turned out the door hadn't shut all the way, wind had blown it open. I was just glad she had the presence of mind to think of her .38, though. Not too long ago, we had an attempted robbery at a gas station not 100 yards from our home.

I say attempted because the gas station attendant shot the guy in the neck and killed him. Good end to a robbery in my book.

IndianaSigma

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2011
    Huntington, IN
    It's posts like this that make me wonder if letting everyone who wants one have a gun is such a good idea after all.....

What do you suggest doing if you hear what you think is an intruder in your own home? I don't know about you, but I'm not going to call the police every time I hear a noise in the house......most of the time it's the cat. Are you saying that I shouldn't own a gun because I use it to ensure that my house is safe?

Top Bottom