How Many, Under 40 Years Old Can Identify A Box End Wrench?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • How Many, Under 40 Years Old Can Identify A Box End Wrench?

• A few will know it is a box end wrench

Votes: 14 23.3%
    • A few will know it is a wrench.

Votes: 21 35.0%
    • Most will know it is a wrench.

Votes: 22 36.7%
    • Most will know it is a box end wrench.

Votes: 3 5.0%

• Total voters

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Here’s an interesting question. On ingo in the past year have there been more threads posted by people under the age of 40 or over on how to fix a minivan?

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    Yes, sadly, common sense isn't so common anymore. I agree, my students are a small percentage of our school's population.
    Webster's Dictionary is taking out the word "sense" in the next printing. I see NO to VERY LITTLE common sense in this world anymore. The younger generation has very little desire to learn simple everyday tasks: like is the water heater lit? is it gas or electric?? I didn't know that the thermostat takes batteries.....my house is cold.....better call the gas company to make sure I have gas......even though the screen is not lit up on the T-Stat......
    Or the one that takes the cake this year.......20 something, college-educated female. Calls in a no gas call. Serviceman arrives, finds that the Red ball valve to the water heater is shut OFF. Serviceman asks college educated female, who shut off the valve?? "I did!!!", replies the 20 something year old. "Neighbors are stealing my internet passwords, so I stopped the flow of the internet!!!", replies the college educated female, "but my shower got cold, so I called you, because you are the gas company."
    I was totally amazed that she called us instead of the power company!!!
    :nuts: :nuts: :nuts: :wallbash: :wallbash: and they don't get charged for calling us for their pure lack of common sense.....

Then HVAC and electrical contractors get to rake it in :spend: :spend: :spend: when we tell them to call someone that can fix THEIR PROBLEM.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Overheard a Kid on our Jobsite tell one of his Buddies he'd "been using a Double-Shovel all day"
    He Was referring to this:
    (Ya Can't make this stuff up}
    52CD22_AS01

I...

Ummm.....

But...

Okay. I got nuthin

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Webster's Dictionary is taking out the word "sense" in the next printing. I see NO to VERY LITTLE common sense in this world anymore. The younger generation has very little desire to learn simple everyday tasks: like is the water heater lit? is it gas or electric?? I didn't know that the thermostat takes batteries.....my house is cold.....better call the gas company to make sure I have gas......even though the screen is not lit up on the T-Stat......
    Or the one that takes the cake this year.......20 something, college-educated female. Calls in a no gas call. Serviceman arrives, finds that the Red ball valve to the water heater is shut OFF. Serviceman asks college educated female, who shut off the valve?? "I did!!!", replies the 20 something year old. "Neighbors are stealing my internet passwords, so I stopped the flow of the internet!!!", replies the college educated female, "but my shower got cold, so I called you, because you are the gas company."
    :nuts: :nuts: :nuts: :wallbash: :wallbash: and they don't get charged for calling us for their pure lack of common sense.....

Then HVAC and electrical contractors get to rake it in :spend: :spend: :spend: when we tell them to call someone that can fix THEIR PROBLEM.

Shame on those kids...

But... how about shame on the lazy parents?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

That's not stupidity/ignorance, that's mental illness.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

You cant fix this with a degree.
    My "X" BIL was a design engineer with an IQ many can't count that high. He had a dead battery. I loaned him a good set of cables with instructions on how to jump off his car. He got the positive and negative backwards. You know what happened then.
    A degree in no way means the recipient is smart.

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    Hell! Go to any parts store and talk to the kid behind the counter. I'd guess 90 + percent of them don't know the first thing about cars! :ugh:
    Try this but tell them that your 1972 truck has a crate engine from a different era and see how fast their heads explode. I have seen it many times. Usually the older guy comes up and takes over at that point.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central

This makes me laugh so hard. I have heard so many crazy stories from the servicemen and linemen.

People have no idea how often this kind of crap happens.

I'm off to install a larger pipe so I can increase the flow of internet.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    You cant fix this with a degree.
    My "X" BIL was a design engineer with an IQ many can't count that high. He had a dead battery. I loaned him a good set of cables with instructions on how to jump off his car. He got the positive and negative backwards. You know what happened then.
    A degree in no way means the recipient is smart.
    There have long been those people since the majority left the farms to live in cities. But life has gotten so simple and so much is done for so many that few have a clue as to how to do anything in their homes or on their cars. No one has to do anything at work but their computer based job, they don’t have to know a thing about cars to travel, at home they don’t have to know how to cook to eat nor anything about the house to be cool or warm as needed. In short us older generations in pursuit of ease, have made life so easy, pure idiots easily survive and procreate…

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    There have long been those people since the majority left the farms to live in cities. But life has gotten so simple and so much is done for so many that few have a clue as to how to do anything in their homes or on their cars. No one has to do anything at work but their computer based job, they don’t have to know a thing about cars to travel, at home they don’t have to know how to cook to eat nor anything about the house to be cool or warm as needed. In short us older generations in pursuit of ease, have made life so easy, pure idiots easily survive and procreate…
    I have no idea how any middle class family survives if they hire out any and all Maint. or remodel work. We did about everything even roofing for years. Windows/doors and carpentry. Heck, we built the room extension on the front of the house when my friend lived here. I re-plumbed/re-wired the entire house and installed the HVAC system complete with new duct from filter to registers in the attic. We did all the vehicles as well including a few drive train re-builds.
    I realize people have limitations and some are more gifted with tool usage than others but man, how do people survive.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Here’s an interesting question. On ingo in the past year have there been more threads posted by people under the age of 40 or over on how to fix a minivan?
    Speaking for the over 40 crowd, my minivan goes to the dealership for service because the over 40 is associated with such things as more $$ (on average), not because I couldn't do it myself.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Try this but tell them that your 1972 truck has a crate engine from a different era and see how fast their heads explode. I have seen it many times. Usually the older guy comes up and takes over at that point.
    That's like when I go in asking for racecar parts. The old one had a toyota master cylinder, corvette brakes in the rear, granada brakes on the front, rearend out of a lincoln versailles, etc, etc, etc. All in a 66 Mustang. :lmfao:

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Or that it came from the custom shop. 1977 dodge van, 400 ci small block with heavy duty everything. Kept getting asked what the motor came out of. I'd tell them the factory.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    I have no idea how any middle class family survives if they hire out any and all Maint. or remodel work.
    YouTube and the internet.

My 33 year old son does a boatload of home maintenance / improvement. I taught him basic skills and we did projects together as he was growing up. But he takes on projects I never taught him.

You still need to have basic skills and a good head on your shoulders but there is a wealth of information on the internet that you can no longer get from the (young) clerk at Lowe’s.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    YouTube and the internet.

My 33 year old son does a boatload of home maintenance / improvement. I taught him basic skills and we did projects together as he was growing up. But he takes on projects I never taught him.

You still need to have basic skills and a good head on your shoulders but there is a wealth of information on the internet that you can no longer get from the (young) clerk at Lowe’s.
    YouTube has become the go to and I use it myself. But yes you need the basic knowledge of how to apply a wrench to the work at hand.
    I did the same with my kids.

Top Bottom