• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • milltech

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    Northeast Indiana
    I just read the senate passed the new regulation to extend benifits to the unemployed with retro pay....in some states, but not all.

Are there really no jobs out there? since I was 13 I was always able to find work in some form another?

But I know enough fat lazy bastard's that live with a girlfriend with 4 kids that inherited her house from a dear old grand-mother and both are living off welfare in one form or another through food stamps or unemployment benifits.....and thats the misery of it all.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    2 jobs, love them both. just wish i could get a class a cdl out of the one job.... they wont go for that one though!

Arm America

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    West of Greenwood
    Unfortunately, I was forced to add 3-well qualified people to
    the unemployment list the first of this week.

Each one had been with me 9-years or more.

I don't foresee much hope or change...........

Rooster Cogburn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    MSG2 - Indianapolis
    There are definitely jobs out there. Example: 3,000 applicants for 300 jobs at Kokomo Chrysler plant. One job fair I went to attend back a few months ago, they turned people away because the line was freaking long.

Another thing that hurts those of us looking for legitimate work; Having to apply for a local job online. What happened to the good ole days when you walked in somewhere, filled out the application and the receptionist basically decided if you got an interview or not?

I had applied at a company a friend works for. 4 weeks later at a cook-out his boss, whom I just met, asked why I didn't apply for the job opening. I explained that I had thru the online process the company had implemented. He checked the following week and my application was "junked" because it didn't contain enough of the proper keywords. That's right...a computer decided my fate.

The days of EOE are long gone now that the technology age has taken over the process. I would love to walk into a store or place of business and shake someone's hand and talk face to face again.

:twocents:

Kcustom45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Brownsburg
    I have been out of work for a little over 2 months now. I don't even know how many jobs I have applied to and have yet to even get an interview. I am so ready to get back to work that I have even applied for a part time dock work position (something I didn't think I would do after graduating college). I'm just ready to get back to work even if I have to start at the bottom again.

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    I am. I recently applied for a job through the unemployment office and received an email stating they decided to pursue other recipients. Most places are waiting to call people back. I was called back for a few months and then off again. The thing that urks me about that is I was told the next time they laid off they weren't going by senority because they didn't want to lose good people. I'm a hard worker and a firm believer in working and I thought for sure they would let the big shot power pocket cry baby librals go who complain they don't make enough even if they were paid $25.00hr.
    I guess if your the conserv. type and can't do their job and yours you ain't good enough. I guess the morals and values I was raised with and my work ethic makes me different and it just don't cut it in a free load society. They don't know how lucky they are to have a job! JMHO

Last edited:

Manan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    West Central
    I have been unemployed by others. But I have never NOT been able to find work. There are always ways to find work to do and to make money. It may not pay as much as your previous job and it may not be your dream job or even something you like to do. But there is always work.

DocBoCook

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Clermont
    I have been looking since Feb. Company downsized, I was lucky to get that job as the military experience and training apparently meant nothing to many, many, many employers, and still apparently doesn't mean anything.
    Currently in School, waiting on my first GI Bill payment

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    It's been tough raising a son on unemployment alone. I couldn't imagine 2-3 kids and trying to get buy. We're all in a tough time and all you can do is keep trying.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Same story, company closed and given a weeks notice at Christmas Eve. Spent 6 months doing the internet job applications, and physical office visiting. Nada word, except receipt of receiving app or resume. Feds cut off extensions, found a entry job doing security on the graveyard shift. I seriously was thinking depression, total rejection, and financial ruin. I have met some retirees and glad to be talking to people again. This is a guy who has worked for 30+ years, 2 jobs, now barely have 1. Good Luck. Yeah times have changed. What about the 2 million cut off over the 4th of July while the feds enjoyed a week off ?

jjlaughner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010
    Brownsburg
    I've been out of an 'full time' IT job for going on 3 years after my last contract ended. I get a couple short contracts here and there, I do freelance IT and remodeling/construction work with a buddy and I started my own photography studio in the last three years. But, I can honestly say I don't make 1/4th what I did while working in IT yet I spend twice as much time and energy on the work I do get... and I'm constantly looking for the next gig.

I've never filed for unemployment but I did go to WorkOne and ask for career training, they are currently putting up the funds for me to get my CCNA certification next month. With a Baby Girl coming in November I'm desperate to get back into a full time IT position making the money I use to! Unfortunately with the economy, there are three times as many people looking for jobs as there are jobs available. And those jobs that are available pay 20-40% LESS than they did 5 years ago! I use to make $18-22/HR at my last few positions, those SAME jobs are now listed at $11,13-15/hr... because the market is flooded and people are taking what they can get.

tnek

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    I have to knock on wood that I have a job. I remember back when we had another worthless president who liked peanuts. I was in my late teens and looking for work. Nothing out there that had a future and people were fighitng for fast food type jobs. Nowdays you cant even get those jobs cause the "racist term removed" take those and lower the wage scale accross the board. IF I were singe and out of work and under 30 I would do whatever it took to go back to school.
    Funny thing is the skilled trades and those type of jobs that require skills from Toolmaker, electrician, etc seem to be OK. From what I see the real job stress is on people who really dont have skills beyone going to meetings, making bar graphs, and writing reports as in dont really produce anything are SOL. Low level admin types and "managment" who only serve to supervise in a meaninless way those who actually do work. IMO

Last edited by a moderator:

djjdnap

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2010
    the polis of indiana
    Been out work for bout 6 months, guess i can go full time to school in august.
    My brother has been out work for about a yr and he bought a house just b4 he got laid off, so unemployment and family have been keeping him on his feet.

People that haven't been on unemployment i guess dont realize that you have to actively search for work, however I guess you could BS that and risk getting caught.

Top Bottom