• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ralphb72

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    Greens Fork, IN
    Well, when my granny was 91, she did PT just for fun. And now my granny is 92 and she does PT better then you!

Actually she is 92 and can't hardly walk. She is on so many meds and has so many medical requirements, she would most certainly die if taken away from the nursing home. So do I take her away from the only place that could save her life even if only temporarily, or do I take her with me knowing that she would most certainly die? I don't know.

Ambu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    I think alot of people here are getting butthurt here over nothing... if you can't handle the contents of this thread and act like a civil adult, then just exit out of it. Don't call me and the rest of us sick freaks because of your inability to make hard decisions.

Maybe this section of the forum isn't for you?

Here is the whole premise of the thread;
    Pray for the best and plan for the worst.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I think alot of people here are getting butthurt here over nothing... if you can't handle the contents of this thread and act like a civil adult, then just exit out of it. Don't call me and the rest of us sick freaks because of your inability to make hard decisions.

Maybe this section of the forum isn't for you?

Here is the whole premise of the thread;
    Pray for the best and plan for the worst.

Folks get tender and teary over these things. It is the best and the worst of us. I can not say what anyone else would or should do. My grandparents are all gone. They were not any real part of my life when they were here. Not bad folks just very self centered and independent. My parents, the same. I can honestly say that if they were all still alive and for me to put myself and my immediate family in jeopardy for them would be a no brainier. Immediate family first. If you are closer to your people then good on you. I did not enjoy that in my life but I do make my children and grandchildren feel loved. They are in my bug out plans and are a major reason for those plans. To each their own reasons and responses. I agree with the statement.."Pray for the best, Plan for the worst

Glock22c

SHEEPDOG
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    N.E. IN
    Folks get tender and teary over these things. It is the best and the worst of us. I can not say what anyone else would or should do. My grandparents are all gone. They were not any real part of my life when they were here. Not bad folks just very self centered and independent. My parents, the same. I can honestly say that if they were all still alive and for me to put myself and my immediate family in jeopardy for them would be a no brainier. Immediate family first. If you are closer to your people then good on you. I did not enjoy that in my life but I do make my children and grandchildren feel loved. They are in my bug out plans and are a major reason for those plans. To each their own reasons and responses. I agree with the statement.."Pray for the best, Plan for the worst
    ^^^^^this^^^^^
    Rep sent
    +1

MerKWorK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 1, 2010
    Muncie
    No one can predict every scenario...just try and prep for as broad a spectrum as possible. Hopefully, we are trying to envision these scenarios and prep so that we will not be desperate people. Because desperate people will do desperate things. If we make morals the foundation of our lives, then these decisions will be easier and better guided.

As for my response to the post. I would hope everyone here would help out as many people as possible without taking from their or their children's well being. Seems elderly would be at the top of the 'people in need' list! I will say however, it is hard to help people who just refuse to open their eyes, even when you pry them open and force feed them the truth.

Personally, I only have one grandparent living that is not being taken care of by family. She is about a minute down the street in a nursing home. We have put back alot of adult diapers for her. Besides the necessities of life, there is not much more we can do for her. Maybe just grabbing a few more days worth of the appropriate meds to help ween her off of them. No matter what, it will not be an ideal situation, and the right mindset and application of patience will be vital!

We can't always help everyone, but trying to do what we can, where we can, is the important part!

: )

Davis0023

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    NorthCentral Indiana
    This thread or "the question it raises" has been the equivalent to a DNR or a living will. No body wants to talk about it ,no body wants to have to face it ,no body wants to be the shot caller...but everybody wants to ***** later. Nobody wants to pull the plug on a loved one that is sick when there is no hope. Nobody wants to make that call. Well this is the real world and sometimes those calls have to be made. I am not saying who is right, or who is wrong. It doesn't matter if I did, now does it?
    But what I do know is that regardless of rather we want or like to answer hard questions like this, if the time comes and they will rather it be shtf or life support,etc. a decision will have to be made. Your either the person to make it or your not, if your not fine, sit down shut up, grown folks are talking. If you are the one, All I can say is I wish you the wisdom of Solomon.

I know this is a topic I have thought of many times and I already had my decision before reading this thread, however I am still glad I have read many of your post. It shines light on a dark matter from many angles. That is why we read and write here ....am I wrong?

P.S. This is the SHTF , this scenario is the very example of the S

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    I'm solo? Hole up and protect them... maybe 'til I'm dead.

I'm taking care of my kids? Weep and hug my g'parents goodbye, as the grandparents I had would have insisted I take their great-grandchildren to a safer place.

Mobile with them? Not gonna happen. Couldn't happen.

Now that my parents are the g'parent age, my Dad could likely go. 78 years old and still rides the harley weekly, living in Knoxville. 6'3", 210 and still strong as a horse.

He also taught me life lessons like: "As you get older, ya gotta got meaner. You're not as young and strong as ya used to be. Don't fight fair. No such thing as a fair fight anyway. Gettin' old ain't for ******s, boy."

I LIKE THAT !!

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy

Well said.

Help those that you can, pray for those you can't.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    If I was staying in, I'd get my mom and sisters to me, or me to them since they live in the next town over. My brother is over there also and I know he can defend them till we all get together.
    If we have to leave the area and things are hairy... I don't know, I honestly don't think they would leave.
    My brother would do what was needed, but since he has been taking care of mom I don't know, I'd have to back him up and if he stayed to provide for her I'd be beside him.
    This is what I like about INGO, always something new to think about.. now to do some soul searching...

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Well, there's Katrina SHTF, where you have to hold out for a given amount of time, and then there's the EOTWAWKI.

Also, how fit are they. My Grandparents were very fit, until the last moments.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I hate the fact that I can do very bad, very cold things to people.
    I wish I couldn't, but yeah; at the end of the day I'd be that guy.

We are all capable of things like that. Given the situation any one of us can revert back to being cave men and spread pain and hurt. Some easier than others but all are capable.

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    Situation changes considerably when your home is the defensible safe haven that those family and close friends will come to for refuge.

I had a view of possible things to come years before we bought and built where we are. Isolation, limited access, defensible orientation, game, fish, water and wood to last a century or two.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    My grandparents have all passed.

My mother has no connection with our reality as I can see. I have built a cache at my mother's place because of my dad. I know in my heart that he will stay by her side until he is gone. He knows that I will protect my children first and foremost. I will do all I can for him and my mother, but if we had to bug out they are on their own.

Yes, he spent his life protecting me but now it is up to me to protect my children.

I would gladly take him as he would be a valuable asset. I know that he will not go while my mother is still alive. We have talked this over. He knows where I stand. He doesn't sugar coat it and he agrees with me. If they were both mobile they would be with me. I have provided for them as best as I can. I am not a heartless ass. I am facing reality.

She can't take care of herself. He won't leave without her. If it is a bug out where we are moving far then that is it. I will leave the cache with him and mourn them later.

Easy for people to say that they would never leave a family member behind when they have one that is completely unable to care for themselves.

I say my private good bye every time I visit.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My grandparents have all passed.

My mother has no connection with our reality as I can see. I have built a cache at my mother's place because of my dad. I know in my heart that he will stay by her side until he is gone. He knows that I will protect my children first and foremost. I will do all I can for him and my mother, but if we had to bug out they are on their own.

Yes, he spent his life protecting me but now it is up to me to protect my children.

I would gladly take him as he would be a valuable asset. I know that he will not go while my mother is still alive. We have talked this over. He knows where I stand. He doesn't sugar coat it and he agrees with me. If they were both mobile they would be with me. I have provided for them as best as I can. I am not a heartless ass. I am facing reality.

She can't take care of herself. He won't leave without her. If it is a bug out where we are moving far then that is it. I will leave the cache with him and mourn them later.

Easy for people to say that they would never leave a family member behind when they have one that is completely unable to care for themselves.

I say my private good bye every time I visit.

You have addressed this and everyone knows where they stand. If my wife were in the same condition it would be hard not to leave her. She would want me to go and see to the rest of our family. It would still be hard. My kids are all grown in their mid 20's and 30's. As I think about this they might not want to leave if we were ill. Damn tough question.

+1--rep sent

Top Bottom