• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • POC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 17, 2010
    West Baden, IN
    I'd like to know if the guns, especially the rifles used, where "sighted" or just "willy nilly"? I thought Mike was a big hot-head. But I also thought he should'a been able to hit the board at 100 yards.
    I'll be watching the show, good luck.
    I noticed you pull your glasses down when you got ready to shoot. *tsk tsk* ha ha... How as that SVT to shoot? It looks sweet.

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    When you, I, or anyone else who posts here earns a world title and a few world records, I think then we can start having opinions on who can and can't call someone else cocky.

Reading your comment led me to believe you may not have heard or know about the people being discussed. You're right, I shouldn't assume. But, still, I'm not sure you understand the mentality that these high-level performers possess and engage other high-level performers with. It's my call and I stand by it.

If people who win and keep their mouth shut are your thing, that's fine. But I don't think there is a lot of that in the case of this show. The kitchen is getting warmer. And, if it is too warm, there's the door.

I don't dig on reality shows, but this one will interest me. The interesting part of the shooting sports, to me, is the psychological aspects. We're seeing it at a high level here. If it were just triggers and bullseyes, it wouldn't be on TV. It's the world-class competitors and the mental one-upsmanship games they play that I find interesting. That, and the guns at the same time. ;)

I am familiar with competition shooting and some of the pressures involved. I have never competed on this level so maybe I do not have a complete understanding of what it is like for these professionals, however I am not clueless either. My competitive shooting history is that I did shoot IPSC in and around Knoxville and eastern Tn. from the early to the late 1990's and did very well although my participation was not to the extent of earning any nationally acclaimed titles. In 1982/83 my father along with several other officials from our club in Mount Joy Pa. encouraged me to shoot the required events to pursue a position on the 84 Olympic team shooting trap. My average was 189X200 at our club Mount Joy Sportsman's association. I also competed on my High School rifle and archery team, and again shot the bow in collage. I think its very sad that schools no longer promote the shooting sports. (When I was coming up school was closed the first day of deer season.) My High school had a 50 yard indoor rifle range in the basement along with 20 or 25 Remington single shot .22 caliber target rifles, this was also where hunters safety was taught as an elective, safety certification was a requirement for a juvenile to obtain a hunting license in Pa. Can you imagine the controversy that a rifle range and rifles in a School would cause in the media today LOL.

All I was trying to say in all this is, and maybe it would have been better if I had put it in these terms in the first place, was that I am not rooting for JJ to win the title of Top Shot. It is just my opinion and that and $4 might get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks, but it seemed to me that he was overly critical of Kelly for shooting the smiley face and it pissed me off when he insinuated that Kelly was overly arrogant and should be first on the chopping block to go home for doing so. The way I saw it Kelly was merely demonstrating his ability, whats the difference if he shoots a smiley face or a 5 shot nickle sized group both demonstrate his expertise equally as well.

I don't know what more I could say on this subject other than if what I said in some way offended anyone that certainly was not my intent. I used the words lesson in humility because it seemed to me JJ's accusation was more arrogant than Kelly's act, and that is usually about where Karma always seems to show up. ;) I also am not a big fan of reality TV at least not beyond Mythbusters and Deadliest Catch but I look forward to seeing the rest of this series and how things play out. I'm sure in the end the shooter that preforms the best will prevail.. :yesway:

DemolitionMan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    Avon, IN
    Just one other thought on Mike and the 100 yard target...there is the "tin foil hat" theory: maybe Andre was feeding Mike incorrect adjustments while spotting for him, making him miss on purpose. That would ensure the team would lose -- but the only result of losing is that someone faces elimination. Since Mike looked bad missing that target, it was very likely that Mike would face elimination. Also, since the episode's focus was on rifle, and Mike's speciality is handgun, he stood a good chance of losing the elimination round.

So Andre gives Mike bad spotting info, and thereby gets rid of him.

I know, I know, totally off the wall....but I love a good conspiracy theory! :D

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    that is a real possibility but that would be a BIG risk for Andre to take in the FIRST challenge. and a 100 yard target shouldnt have been needing a spotter in all honesty even with a sling shot. mike just simply sucked.

Litlratt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Terre Haute
    Mikes' mistake was challenging Kelly.
    That course of fire was a piece of cake for the kid. Shooting a caliber that he was familiar with, I'm sure he was aware of his come ups and wind value.

Ahab

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    With regards to JJ, he's certainly not what I'd call cocky or arrogant. The thing about JJ is that he actually is as good as he thinks he is, and he tries really hard to NOT be arrogant about the fact that he could smoke just about everyone there in a pistol competition.

GarandMD

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 29, 2009
    Lafayette
    With regards to JJ, he's certainly not what I'd call cocky or arrogant. The thing about JJ is that he actually is as good as he thinks he is, and he tries really hard to NOT be arrogant about the fact that he could smoke just about everyone there in a pistol competition.

Is that another hint?:dunno:

Ahab

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    No, that's a statement of fact. JJ Racaza holds multiple world records in Steel Challenge, won the IPSC world shoot in Open division a while ago, and is basically a friggin' stud with a handgun. In a head to head pistol competition (meaning action pistol) it'd be hard to find someone to beat him. On Top Shot, we had him and Blake Miguez who also has won about a bajillion titles in USPSA.

rushca01

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    My High school had a 50 yard indoor rifle range in the basement along with 20 or 25 Remington single shot .22 caliber target rifles, this was also where hunters safety was taught as an elective, safety certification was a requirement for a juvenile to obtain a hunting license in Pa. Can you imagine the controversy that a rifle range and rifles in a School would cause in the media today LOL.

My Highschool still has a rifle range in the basement and it is still used (I graduated in 01). We had a big JROTC program which is probably the reason it's still around.

Mikes' mistake was challenging Kelly.
    That course of fire was a piece of cake for the kid. Shooting a caliber that he was familiar with, I'm sure he was aware of his come ups and wind value.

My wife who watched the show with me and who doesn't shoot even said how stupid that was to WANT to challenge Kelly....:n00b:. Why would he want to shoot against arguably the best rifle shooter there?

Ahab

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    Mike's just hardcore like that - if you're going to lose, lose to the best and not some punk. I understand the mindset.

Ol' Wiley

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Indiucky (Clark Co.)
    Gotta say I enjoyed the first episode... along with my wife(married into a family of Miss Clark Counties/beauty queen participants). The show does have it's negatives... but it's good to see something on tv like this... that even my wife wants to watch next week.

We're rootin for ya Ahab.... even though I'm sure taping is already over with ;)

CB45

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Top Shot

I think its good exposure for gun owners. I think the media has painted gun owners in a bad light for a long time, ex. only criminals carry guns. It's good to see a show about guns that is supportive of civilians owning/shooting guns.

That said. I do have a grudge against the drama that is shown. It feels too Survivor'ish. "Who will be the first to be eliminated..... blah blah blah" I am kinda against reality TV, I thinks most of those "reality TV" shows are really anti-reality.

My :twocents:
    CB45

Ahab

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    In this situation, who was the punk you speak of?

No one, I wouldn't use that adjective to describe anyone on the show. I'm saying that I understand the mindset that if I'm going to lose, I want to lose a straight up fight against someone better or equal to me, I don't want to get jobbed, backdoored, or politic'd out by people who are afraid of confrontation.

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    I just got to watch the first episode. I think I know the female contestant. She looks just like a firearms instructor from Chicago PD that used to frequent our place of business. I am pretty sure that is her.

Top Bottom