• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Firearmed

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2014
    In Town
    What would be your choice of handgun for personal protection on the a.t.? Keeping in mind that it has to be as light as possible while still packing a punch, plus comfortable to carry.

gunworks321

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Noblesville
    The whole trail or just part of it? Because you are going through multiple states with differing handgun laws, a multi-state carry permit is going to be needed and then there is New York.

Firearmed

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2014
    In Town
    I do section hikes and this paticular section will be in N.C. which from looking at reciprocity laws honors Indiana permit. Just curious to other opinions on most lightweight hangun that would offer decent protection? At this point I'm pretty settled on my Taurus PT 145 Pro.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    buddy of mine did the entire thing in one go, and for him it was a life changing experience.

Started out with a decent sized load out, and quickly got down to almost nothing but a small back pack for most of the trip.

draketungsten

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2012
    Hendricks Co.
    I do backcountry camping and hiking. Have thought about doing an AT section hike but never taken the time. There's no way I could take off the time from work and family to do the entire thing end to end at once. However, when I go out, I pack a Ruger LCR. You're biggest concern probably is the wild life so you don't need something that carries plenty of rounds like you're geared up for a firefight.

draketungsten

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2012
    Hendricks Co.
    LOL. Helps to prove that the brain is able to figure out what the intention is without you being consciously aware of it. Kind of like this....

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteers be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

MarineOne

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Hendricks County
    A big piece of advice from someone that has spent a couple of weeks on the AT every year for some time now.....do not bother taking a gun. You don't need it while you're on the AT. I section hike a stretch of the trail every year for at least a week at a go. If you're serious about hiking you wouldn't carry the wasted weight of a handgun. I fail to see where exactly you feel like you'd need one on the Trail. Bears? Yeah, they're there, but how many people have been attacked by black bears while hiking on the AT? I'd be more inclined to worry about a moose up in Maine than I would a bear. Of the major bear territory on the AT, I've hiked through a lot of the Trail in North Carolina and Virginia and have seen more snakes than I have bears. The bears that I have seen were no threat whatsoever to hikers. You stay away from them, they have a tendency to leave you alone.
    I'm sure I'm going to be flamed for posting such a crazy idea of not carrying a gun on the Appalachian Trail, but like I said earlier....if you're serious about hiking you won't worry about it. Enjoy the Trail. Don't worry about potential violations of local gun laws while carrying something that you won't even need anyways.
    Don't believe what I have to say.....I'd suggest reading a few books or articles written by hikers that have completed the whole Trail. See how many of them are packing heat in their trek.

comanche

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2013
    we hiked for a week last spring and I agree with MarineOne that no firearm is needed for animals. We were in New Hampshire White Mountains. There were hikers carrying next to nothing and were out for months at a time. We saw almost zero wildlife and there were days we never even came across another soul on the trails.

Lunarphase

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2014
    S. E.
    MarineOne is right on with his opinion, but I always feel safer with a side arm, it's not about the animals for me. I carry a Star PD 45 most everywhere, not enough weight to bother me.

Top Bottom