• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sig-guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    If my understanding of Indiana law is correct, you should not have been carrying in a bar if you were consuming alcohol... snip

First, I can't believe I read all the way to page 16 before this was brought up. Bars are off limits to carry. You're not even supposed to be in the bar area of a restaurant.

No such Indiana law I've ever seen, re:carrying while drinking. It's a horrible idea, IMHO, but it's not illegal... snip

No carry in a bar, period. Can go into a restaurant that serves alcohol. But you're supposed to stay out of the bar area.

If I'm mistaken, my apologies now. But I do remember researching this in detail a while back.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    First, I can't believe I read all the way to page 16 before this was brought up. Bars are off limits to carry. You're not even supposed to be in the bar area of a restaurant.

No carry in a bar, period. Can go into a restaurant that serves alcohol. But you're supposed to stay out of the bar area.

If I'm mistaken, my apologies now. But I do remember researching this in detail a while back.

Welcome to ingo.

You need to do more research because you're completely wrong about bars being off limits.

T2D4

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011

the amount of misinformation that is passed around on this site as being legit is very sad and scary.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

WRONG.
    You cant find the appopriate Indiana Code, cause it doesn't exist.
    Maybe you're thinking of another State.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw

This is going to get interesting! :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Lets see, folks are piling on the OP for unholstering his handgun? Or is it unholstering AND unloading?

But isn't this just another form of open carry?

sig-guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Welcome to ingo.

You need to do more research because you're completely wrong about bars being off limits.

Thanks for the welcome.

I'm on the hunt... been looking for the info after I read the rest of the thread (after my post) when others stated it was legal. I was looking for the info a couple years ago... specifically to include Pubs that serve alcohol.

Normally, I'm 'not so quick' to post something I'm not sure on... but the details seem so clear. I just can't seem to find what I remember reading.

(nothing like posting inaccurate info for my first post) :(

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Thanks for the welcome.

I'm on the hunt... been looking for the info after I read the rest of the thread (after my post) when others stated it was legal. I was looking for the info a couple years ago... specifically to include Pubs that serve alcohol.

Normally, I'm 'not so quick' to post something I'm not sure on... but the details seem so clear. I just can't seem to find what I remember reading.

You might be thinking of another state.
    Before making a comment like that, you might want to have the proof ready.
    INGO is a "show me" type of place.
    Telling the police "I heard it on the internet" doesn't hold up well.

Welcome to the forum Sig.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Thanks for the welcome.

:welcome: to INGO, sig-guy.

You'll find that there are a number of members that are really well versed in the laws of Indiana as they pertain to firearms -- Bill of Rights is one of them. He's one of the few that if he states it, he's got a very good track record of being right on the money.

sig-guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    You might be thinking of another state.
    Before making a comment like that, you might want to have the proof ready.
    INGO is a "show me" type of place.
    Telling the police "I heard it on the internet" doesn't hold up well.

Welcome to the forum Sig.

Thanks for the welcome.

I'm not thinking of another state... never lived anywhere else. I also don't just believe everything I read on the internet. I normally research it to be sure. I don't drink, so the bars are not a big concern to me, as I don't go in them. However, I was checking on this as I do visit restaurants that serve alcohol and sometimes go into Pubs.

Whatever I was reading, it included Pubs in the mix?
    I'm going to check and see if it might be a local thing. I just can't put my finger on it right at the moment.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    You may be thinking of this http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/indiana.pdf that was posted earlier in the thread. It is from "Handgunlaw.US" and does not reference IC only recommends not going into a bar with a handgun. In this article they suggest that restaurants that serve alcohol, such as Chili's, Applebee's is ok. If you ask me, these "law" websites should refrain from printing opinion and stick to factual law.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Brandishing a weapon in public

:orly:

Could you show us brandishing in the Indiana Code?

You beat me too it. I was guessing that is what he/she was going to post.

Thanks for the welcome.

I'm not thinking of another state... never lived anywhere else. I also don't just believe everything I read on the internet. I normally research it to be sure. I don't drink, so the bars are not a big concern to me, as I don't go in them. However, I was checking on this as I do visit restaurants that serve alcohol and sometimes go into Pubs.

Whatever I was reading, it included Pubs in the mix?
    I'm going to check and see if it might be a local thing. I just can't put my finger on it right at the moment.

:welcome: to :ingo:
    But what has been stated about there being nothing in IN code about carrying in bars is correct, same with drinking while carrying. And has also been mentioned IN has almost complete preemption of firearm laws. Localities can not for the most part place any restrictions on firearms that vary from state law.
    Indiana Code 35-47-11.1
    And IC 10-14-3-33.5
    Indiana Code 10-14-3

sig-guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    You may be thinking of this http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/indiana.pdf that was posted earlier in the thread. It is from "Handgunlaw.US" and does not reference IC only recommends not going into a bar with a handgun. In this article they suggest that restaurants that serve alcohol, such as Chili's, Applebee's is ok. If you ask me, these "law" websites should refrain from printing opinion and stick to factual law.

That is part of it I'm sure. But I remember them listing police stations, post offices, courthouse, college, etc... which is not included in their 'places off-limits even with a permit/license'. I was also checking (back then) wether you could carry in city parks (which is why I thought it might be a local thing).

Has any of these laws changed in the past couple of years? Which would have made it legal now and not back then?

This has really got me to thinking... as its bugging the crap out of me!

Marine1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Terre Haute
    Yes they can ban you.

Its called Trespass.

Their property, their rules.

Generally speaking, never unholster a weapon in a public place. Bad form, good way to get tossed out.

If anything, be happy they didn't call the police and request you be formally 'trespassed' off the property. Doing that would legally ban you from the property. They did you a favor, said stay away for the rest of the year. What you did was pretty silly.

Well Said think before you act

Top Bottom