• ...and so much more!
  • schmart

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    Do yourself a favor and stay away from those $6000 devices. Costco can do the evaluation, and priced fairly. Mine have a 3 yr warranty for $1800. Your cell phone adjusts them, and after a while its easy peasy.
    You would be surprised how much noise and sounds you are missing. Don't wait too long or have the "I don't have a hearing problem" self pride to kick in.
    Yes, you need a Cotsco card, and an appointment in the Hearing center.
    Good luck.
    I'd be careful about Costco. Several years ago they were selling re-branded Phonak aids and they WERE great. When I got mine about a year ago, there weren't any full reviews of what they are selling now. Not suggesting what they sell now are bad, but do some research on them. I went with Phonak aids as they can connect to a PC as well as cell phone via bluetooth.

The audiologist can have a HUGE difference in price. The first place wanted $10K and wouldn't work with insurance. I looked around and found another Dr who did work w/ my insurance and the negotiated price was about $3K. Admittedly, I have good insurance, because they covered a good amount of that as well.

If you get a model recommendation, don't feel bad calling around and asking their price for the same ones. This is one of the few medical areas where you can shop for price.
    --Rick

Last edited:

BeDome

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2013
    NOBLESVILLE
    Thanks for the reply. The main thing I was concerned about as far as compression was the rooms noise floor being at such a higher level that the frequencies that the room resonates at would be causing cancellation or a doubling effect, making it harder to mix. Or just sounding like an omni mic with a brick wall limiter on it at the extreme. In my 20's I had my hearing tested thru OSHA. And my right ear at 10k and above was exceptionally above average with my left ear being normal. I feel like I still have it due to running pink noise thru monitors and walking by them with one ear facing them, then turning around and having the other ear facing it. My right ear still sounds brighter. And 8k has and still is my pain frequency. lol. But anyway, thanks for your response. I'm sure we are boring a lot of people. lol
    By turning your head, even an inch, you are using that analytical part of your brain to confirm what you "think" you hear.
    You are creating a Doppler Effect, which some of us have trained our ears through experience to recognize and use.

Leaning upon Doppler and its peripheral benefits are just another advantageous tool we keep handy.
    :thumbsup:

Don't worry about boring people.
    Any with a propensity to be bored so easily as to stop learning have already decided to ignore posts with more than two sentences.
    Forget reading a paragraph.
    :lmfao:

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    This is the true way, honestly hearing is a big part of why I am getting into suppressors right now, their benefit is immense
    I was blown out long ago, sometimes one cannot wear protection. Both of my sons at 25 & 27 have losses and tendinitis.
    Like myself, I tell them to save what you can.
    what.. WHAT.....

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I'd be careful about Costco. Several years ago they were selling re-branded Phonak aids and they WERE great. When I got mine about a year ago, there weren't any full reviews of what they are selling now. Not suggesting what they sell now are bad, but do some research on them. I went with Phonak aids as they can connect to a PC as well as cell phone via bluetooth.

The audiologist can have a HUGE difference in price. The first place wanted $10K and wouldn't work with insurance. I looked around and found another Dr who did work w/ my insurance and the negotiated price was about $3K. Admittedly, I have good insurance, because they covered a good amount of that as well.

If you get a model recommendation, don't feel bad calling around and asking their price for the same ones. This is one of the few medical areas where you can shop for price.
    --Rick
    My mom uses Costco for her hearing aids also, about a yr ago she bought new one somewhere between 5-6 grand that Bluetooth to her phone.
    What the dr didn't pay attention to was she might have had a iPhone, and to her that's all it's used for, a phone.
    A few weeks later she took them back and downgraded to a model that had volume knobs on each aid. She's almost 87.

WanderingSol07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2017
    North Central
    I went to the Purdue University Audiology Department, West Lafayette. They have a clinic. This is where they make audiologists. When I go in I see a professor of Audiology plus at least two graduate students in Audiology. After getting my audiogram I got setup for three appointments. First was the initial contact telling me what they can do and the cost of everything. Second was the fitting and paying for half of the cost ($6,000 for my Phonaks, $300 for charger, $100 for fitting). Third was touching base to see if any adjustments were needed and paying the other half. From the fitting you get 30 day trial period, return for any reason and get all but the $100 back. I could go back anytime for any issues. Got three year warranty from Phonak plus another year from Purdue. Check with other universities, they may do the same thing.

Top Bottom