Has anyone seen any good used Paras around Indiana?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EPD1102

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Evansville
    I've been looking for a good stainless-steel P12-45 or P13-45. I can find plenty of them on GunBroker but I'd rather buy a gun that I can physically look at before buying it. I haven't seen any at the gun shops around Evansville or the other shops that I've stopped at while traveling Indiana. I thought I'd ask you guys if anyone has seen one at any gun shops around the state. If you have, will you please let me know where.
    Thanks

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    From what I've seen (and I've been looking), Paras are somewhat rare in this state for whatever reason. Not many at gun shops in the Terre Haute /Indy/Crawfordsvile/Bloomington area at least.

{Insert a-hole saying there are 10 at his local gun shop that nobody has ever heard of.}

My question is this: Have you ever shot/fired/handled a double stack 1911? Reason I ask is, I am a 1911 fan. I love the 1911. I have large palms, and somewhat short fingers. Standard 1911's fit me like a well worn glove. The para P12-P14 style of pistols are just too damned fat for me to grip properly. As soon as I picked one up, I heard those ol' timers in the back of my head saying "Ain't no such thing as a double stack 1911!". That much expected and relished feel of a 1911 in my hand that I had become so enamored with was nowhere to be found! The damn thing felt as bad as a glock, maybe worse, since it was masquerading as a 1911! Maybe if I had OJ Simpson hands I could comfortably shoot such a pistol. I'm just glad I didn't do something stupid, like order the one I wanted off of gunbroker, only to find out I hated it.

Moral of this story is:
    If you haven't handled one, get your hands on one to make sure it is what you really want.

Last edited:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    {Insert a-hole saying there are 10 at his local gun shop that nobody has ever heard of.}

Nice, so anyone who is able to reply with the OP's original request is instantly called a name?

I used to own a double stack P14 Para (with a Colt Gold Cup slide) back when Para just had the frame kits. Its been about 20 years ago now and I sold it off (for other reasons), but don't remember having any big issues with the dimensions of the grip, but I do agree that you should definitely handle one and see it in person before ordering one as they are not for everyone.

EPD1102

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Evansville
    I have handled the Paras and I currently have a P14-45 as one of my primary carry guns (depending on the weather and how I'm dressed.) I have pretty big hands and I like the feel of the double-stack 1911s. I think I want a P12 or P13 for something just a little smaller than my P14 but I'd like to see and handle one first to see which grip length I like better; P12 or P13. I was the high bidder on a stainless P12 up until right before the auction ended and I wasn't watching the auction closely enough.
    I've bought a few guns off of GunBroker and I've been happy with them but I still prefer to buy guns in person. As mentioned above, Paras just don't seem to be popular around Indiana. I know some people have had issues with them, some don't like them because of the size, and some don't like them because they're not what JMB originally designed but I still like them.
    Thanks Again

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    Nice, so anyone who is able to reply with the OP's original request is instantly called a name?
    :rofl:
    Not in the least. Not A-hole in the literal sense, A hole as in like when you are looking for the TV remote, laying on the floor with a flashlight looking under the couch going "Where is that thing? I can't frickin' find it." And your wife walks in and says "What are you doing?" "Looking for the remote." and she says "It's right here:rolleyes:" like it was totally obvious as she extracts it from some unbeknownst hiding spot you would have never thought to look. What I meant is the person who knows where a cache of them is is an A-Hole for not telling ME when I spent several years wanting one, several months looking for one to handle, and when I finally did, it was all time wasted, because I didn't care for it. Not that they are an A-hole for answering his question.

You know what, You sound like my wife!

She does the exact same thing, key in on the least important part of whatever I am saying, especially when I'm attempting to be somewhat humorous in a cynical sort of way, and totally ignore any point I was trying to make, then try to make a big deal out of the least important thing I've said. Then, when I say "why are you making a big deal out of that, I was trying to make a joke" she says "I wasn't making a big deal out of it." Right.....

Last edited:

NDgolfer13

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 28, 2011
    Avon
    Bob at Plainfield Shooting Supplies has a couple of used para's but Im not sure which ones they are. You may give him a call.

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    :rofl:
    Not in the least. Not A-hole in the literal sense, A hole as in like when you are looking for the TV remote, laying on the floor with a flashlight looking under the couch going "Where is that thing? I can't frickin' find it." And your wife walks in and says "What are you doing?" "Looking for the remote." and she says "It's right here:rolleyes:" like it was totally obvious as she extracts it from some unbeknownst hiding spot you would have never thought to look. What I meant is the person who knows where a cache of them is is an A-Hole for not telling ME when I spent several years wanting one, several months looking for one to handle, and when I finally did, it was all time wasted, because I didn't care for it. Not that they are an A-hole for answering his question.

You know what, You sound like my wife!

She does the exact same thing, key in on the least important part of whatever I am saying, especially when I'm attempting to be somewhat humorous in a cynical sort of way, and totally ignore any point I was trying to make, then try to make a big deal out of the least important thing I've said. Then, when I say "why are you making a big deal out of that, I was trying to make a joke" she says "I wasn't making a big deal out of it." Right.....

At least your wife let's you find the remote.

billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    Plainfield shooting supply usually has a few used Para's on hand for descent prices too. And for the record, para makes single stack 1911 in 3",4",& 5" just like all other manufactures.

snowrs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Evansville
    Since your down here in Eville, also give a call to Wittaker's, I was in there on Sat and he has a large selection of used .45s. Just remember mentally add 20 to any price for the FFL fee.

Wwwildthing

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2010
    Arizona
    There's a shop near me (east of Seymour) that has a Stainless 14-45... looks to be little to no-useage on it... PM me if you want their number.

EPD1102

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Evansville
    Are there any good used Paras in any state?

Just sayin..

I knew there would have to be at least one "hater" on here:ugh: :D

I understand that a lot of people don't like them but I have had good luck with them and they fit my big hands. I appreciate the suggestions.
    Wwwildwest, I appreciate the info on the P14 but I think I'm looking for something smaller since I already have a P14.

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    Bob at Plainfield is one of the few Para dealers that I know of.

You owe it to yourself to look at the Rock Island 1911-A2.
    You can order a new one for what the used Para will cost.
    If it's not built on a Para 14-45 frame, then it's a really good copy.
    The Para magazines do work in the RIA's.
    My Rock Island 1911-A2 has not had a failure of any kind.
    I had to drift the rear sight a little to get point of aim and from then on it's been great.

EDIT: NOW I read that you already have a 14-45.

octalman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2010
    Are other brands a possibility? HK 45 compact is very smooth shooter, accurate, and trouble free. Grip size might still be a problem.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Bob at Plainfield is one of the few Para dealers that I know of.

You owe it to yourself to look at the Rock Island 1911-A2.
    You can order a new one for what the used Para will cost.
    If it's not built on a Para 14-45 frame, then it's a really good copy.
    The Para magazines do work in the RIA's.
    My Rock Island 1911-A2 has not had a failure of any kind.
    I had to drift the rear sight a little to get point of aim and from then on it's been great.

EDIT: NOW I read that you already have a 14-45.

Good info sir. I was not aware of that.

NickJ

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Ive seen them randomly at Don's Guns..but that's the last place you want to purchase your guns. It seems like they charge an extra 200 bucks on everything..no joke!

EPD1102

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Evansville
    I stopped in Plainfield today but the only small gun they had was a Para P12-45 LDA in pretty rough shape. I'll try to get down near Seymour sometime soon to check out that shop.
    Thanks again for the help guys and gals.

davis4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2011
    Paras are so sweet... wish we could help you but yea, that may be a hard find in person. If you wanted to take a drive, Bud's probably has one to hold. Heck that shop is just worth going to see anyway! They actually look like they are having a sale on some Para factory display models - Discounted Para Ordnance display guns.
    Doesn't look like your models though... good luck!

Top Bottom