• ...and so much more!
  • Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    whoa horsey

There's a few things that need to be cleared up here.

1. Safety Course (Don't buy the gun then work on the course that's backwards and could put more than you and her into danger.)

2. Don't buy the gun for her. You'll waste your money, I've read twenty stories on INGO if I've read one that started "I bought my wife" and ended "now she has a", you need to find out what she likes in a gun (some like pink, some like small, some like revolvers, etc...)

3. Find a place/way to let her shoot the model she wants. Test different calibers but keep the model similar. (If she shoots a $5000 1911 and then grabs a striker fired .45acp thinking they're the same she's gonna be really unhappy.)

4. Training.

5. Get her to carry it everywhere. (this is likely to be the hardest and least fun, my wife just now came around and carries "most of the time") Even still, can't get her to carry with one in the chamber despite being advised to do so by my LEO brother.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    The gun that works well for my wife is an AR24K. It's a CZ 75 Compact clone, but a little nicer. The CZ 75 Compact is pretty much the same gun, but the AR has better machine work and a couple of nice features like the ability to rack the slide with the safety on.

The things that make it work for my wife (4'11") is the grip size, it's easy to rack the slide and it's heavy. The weight makes it really easy to shoot and it's the only gun she has picked up and shot well right from the start. It's light enough to be comfortable to carry, but heavy enough to dampen recoil very well. The AR24K is a 13+1 gun, but the CZ can be carried in either 14+1 or 16+1 with Mecgar mags and an SP01 base plate. The downside of the AR is that I have not been able to find night sights for it. I sent an email to Armalite for specs and their reply was that they had no idea. I need to check with Sarsilmaz in Turkey to see if they know.

Top Bottom