5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Still wondering when folks will realize that the 1911 was designed to be carried in "condition 3"... And that it wasn't until 50+ years later that "condition 1" was utilized...

;)

:shady:

whoismunky

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Bloomington,IN
    Sorry for being jumpy.

I hear many say it is not wise, but have failed to prove why.

I've got to say, I've always wondered what was so unsafe about carrying in this condition and it's nice to hear of someone who does it successfully. From the little I know, properly maintained guns don't go off without fingers on the trigger. +1 to you, sir. As a side note I personally can't get comfortable carrying a gun with an external safety, just because I'm afraid it will accidentally get bumped 'on' and I don't want to waste time sweeping it on every draw.

And for everyone saying John Browning designed the 1911 to be carried cocked and locked, from what I've read he originally made the gun with no thumb safety. I can't site a reference but I've always read that he thought the grip safety was sufficient, but the US Army asked him to add one. (FWIW)

MickeyBlueEyes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    BFE, Indiana
    So we're strolling around a grocery store tonight, and saw a man CC'ing, which wasn't unusual, until I looked closer.

He was carrying a 1911 .45, and I could have swore the hammer was back on the gun.

Huh!!?? :dunno:

Yup, my glock gen1 only has 1 safety feature, the trigger. Considering how the proverbial hammer is always cocked on a striker fired gun, it's a Non -Issue to see any hammer cocked back on a Single Action only like a 1911. If it were a revolver, a lot of the ones coming out are Dual Action. Good eye though, Way to be Situationally Aware!

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Yup, my glock gen1 only has 1 safety feature, the trigger. Considering how the proverbial hammer is always cocked on a striker fired gun, it's a Non -Issue to see any hammer cocked back on a Single Action only like a 1911. If it were a revolver, a lot of the ones coming out are Dual Action. Good eye though, Way to be Situationally Aware!

To get technical, your Gen1 Glock has 3 safeties...as do all Glocks as they leave the factory.

-J-

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Round in the chamber, safety engaged, comfortably concealed. ;)
    I HOPE EVERYONE has a SENSE of HUMOR ..... I remember back in the day, B4 finger release holsters, MOST of the holsters, made for the 1911, WERE made to carry, guess now ..... COCKED & LOCKED. WHY ? Do you ask, because the LEATHER retention "strap", went BETWEEN the cocked hammer, and the slide of the gun ..... Anyone remember those "good ole days" ????? :laugh:

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Do you ask, because the LEATHER retention "strap", went BETWEEN the cocked hammer, and the slide of the gun ..... Anyone remember those "good ole days" ????? :laugh:
    I have two holsters like that. One has a removable strap, which I've unsnapped and removed (because I don't like it). The other, is in my "pile-o'-holsters" drawer.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I HOPE EVERYONE has a SENSE of HUMOR ..... I remember back in the day, B4 finger release holsters, MOST of the holsters, made for the 1911, WERE made to carry, guess now ..... COCKED & LOCKED. WHY ? Do you ask, because the LEATHER retention "strap", went BETWEEN the cocked hammer, and the slide of the gun ..... Anyone remember those "good ole days" ????? :laugh:

Ever bought a Bianchi holster? I bought two and they had a disclaimer not to holster a 1911 cocked and locked as they were designed for hammer down carry. :runaway:

That was a few years ago though.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    I don't get it? Where should the hammer be? :dunno:

Well, if this were Illinois, I'd guess the hammer would have to be locked away separately, in a location only accessible by highly trained lemurs on alternate Tuesdays.

But since this is Indiana, I'd say a 1911 should be cocked and locked.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    How so? Any Colt built after 1983 were made with firing pin blocks that will not allow the firing pin to travel forward, unless the trigger is depressed. How is that any more unsafe than condition 0?

Umm, because you have to press the trigger to put the hammer down to rest on the firing pin!!

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    How so? Any Colt built after 1983 were made with firing pin blocks that will not allow the firing pin to travel forward, unless the trigger is depressed. How is that any more unsafe than condition 0?

Also, many of us don't carry Colts, and of the number who do carry Colts, many of them were made well before 1983! (Mine was manuf. in 1943).

Top Bottom