• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • armedindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    so, a few of my buddies know that i am the right guy to come to if shtf....if you had to choose 3 or 4 extra guns to buy for your buddies in case of a shtf scenario, what would they be? cheaper the better

RBrianHarless

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2011
    Kokomo
    Remington 870 12 gauge shotguns, AK-47's and Glocks (All in same caliber, 9mm preferably since it is everywhere). Not cheap, but you cannot go wrong. If money was not a factor, instead of AK's I would get upper end AR-15's.

armedindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    i feel you....but i also feel that alot of reguar people (like my friends) are just not the "warrior" type...so ive thought alot about mosins.....things they can use from a distance

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    I would asume they did not have much training if you have to arm them.
    1) Used K-frame sized 2"-4" .357 magnum revolvers.
    2) SKS / AK47 variants.
    3) maybe a few used 12 ga. pumps if you are in thick vegetation/city.

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    Well I use a 5.56x45 chambered AR, so I'd get either ARs or probably mini-14s with .223 range ammo since they were douchebags and didn't buy their own.

If I had a 7.62x39 AK, the 4 AKs would be the choice. I'd like to keep ammo common, especially for a fireteam sized group where some members have little training.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    If they can't be bothered to arm themselves, then they get melee weapons and a single-shot .22 rifle.

Seriously, though, something "cheap" in a caliber you will already stock/reload.

If they *do* plan on bringing their own, and you guys are serious about being prepared, it would be useful to stick with a common caliber or two.

armedindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    the little training is one of my huge concerns....im 21...and i know u guys are going to hate me for this but...when i took some of my bestys shooting....they did alot better with scoped guns than they did with my shotgun, ak or pistols......so, i was thinkging they might be more valuable with a mosin with a scope than they would with a regualr ak or a shotgun......it depends on the shtf scenario but i feel that cheap bolt action with scope would maximize their lethality.....anyone else experience this also....i am the "call of duty" generation (and literally one of my freinds learned how to shoot from it.....with decent results)

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    the little training is one of my huge concerns....im 21...and i know u guys are going to hate me for this but...when i took some of my bestys shooting....they did alot better with scoped guns than they did with my shotgun, ak or pistols......so, i was thinkging they might be more valuable with a mosin with a scope than they would with a regualr ak or a shotgun......it depends on the shtf scenario but i feel that cheap bolt action with scope would maximize their lethality.....anyone else experience this also....i am the "call of duty" generation (and literally one of my freinds learned how to shoot from it.....with decent results)

I disagree, but they're your friends, you know them better than I do. A Mosin with a GOOD scope can work fine for taking long range shots at bad guys (something that may not be necessary), but your friends are going to have to learn how to judge distance, windage, and adjust accordingly. Furthermore, a scoped Mosin is worthless for close range FIGHTING. Call of Duty may teach them how to use sights, but it won't teach them anything about weapons handling, proper stances, efficient magazine changes, or that you can't run full sprint forever with body armor and a full combat load of ammo, or that they can't "respawn" after being killed, etc.

If you're worried about their lack of training, You could always train them. The AK is your best defensive SHTF weapon, train them with that, then make them get their own.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My friends know to bring fuel, food, water and other life sustaining essentials for the sanctuary provided from a well armed group. No ticky, no washy

sbsg2005

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2011
    Most of my friends are already armed in one way or another. Albeit they are mostly hunting rifles and shotguns with a few hand guns. We all shoot basically the same calibers. If any show up that are not armed and need to be I have a few basic AR's, a couple shot guns and hand guns. Nothing expensive or fancy but they all function. I am not planning to arm everyone and there are a few that will be told to go pack sand. Just because they have failed to plan does not make it my problem and only my closest friends will be allowed.

easy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    SEOK
    Just because they have failed to plan does not make it my problem
    I agree with this 100% That said, have your 'friends' by the cheap Mosins and a tin of ammo. They'll be out something in the order of $200.00.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    If they can't be bothered to arm themselves, then they get melee weapons and a single-shot .22 rifle.

Seriously, though, something "cheap" in a caliber you will already stock/reload.

If they *do* plan on bringing their own, and you guys are serious about being prepared, it would be useful to stick with a common caliber or two.

This is what I was thinking.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    i feel you....but i also feel that alot of reguar people (like my friends) are just not the "warrior" type...so ive thought alot about mosins.....things they can use from a distance

^this^

Mosin's and taurus revolvers. Mossbergs 500 :draw:shottys. If you don't use 'em for the buds they make good trade bait.
    Tell the guys what you're doin and tell 'em to stock up on appropriate ammo. If they come lookin for ammo too, well, HIS gun just became a club.

Honestly. You didn't take 'em to raise.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    High points!! Cheap and easy, not to mention they are heavy enough to use as a club if they cant figure out how to shoot them.

Most of my friends are already armed. All of my close friends are armed well enough to get themselves by in a bad situation.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Already got extra Mosins. The Rugers and AKs are strictly for family use and won't be loaned out until I have more AND they earn it. But then I won't be admitting/arming anyone I don't already know and trust.

Top Bottom