• ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Typically, in these situations the good guy with gun isn't referred to as a "shooter" So the terminology is obviously referring to the bad guy.
    Both were shooters. Since I prefer to be generic WRT the current dead person of the two, calling him "shooter" and the hero Eli, seems appropriate enough.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Both were shooters. Since I prefer to be generic WRT the current dead person of the two, calling him "shooter" and the hero Eli, seems appropriate enough.
    You seem to be missing my point. When was the last time a good guy with a gun was referred to as a "shooter" in the media? Make no mistake I'm not coming from a position of defending the media and their possible motives, I'm just simply addressing the ball busting lecture that always happens when someone here happens to refer to the bad guy as a shooter.

Btw...I don't typically refer to the bad guy as a shooter. I'm just saying that I don't think it's as big of a deal if someone else should happen to.

Last edited:

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Abdul says...

The bad guy had a rifle, about 120 rounds, and was intent on killing lots of people.

Does not enough training really turn you into that?

He is not referencing to how the mall killer was armed or trained.

Let's say instead of highly proficient Eli, we had went to the range once Ken who thinks that makes him qualified.

Same gun as Eli, but he only hits the shooter maybe once or twice, and who knows where those other shots go.

Did Ken just shoot a couple of innocent bystanders? Does Ken have a reload, since maybe the mall killer is not neutralize? Does Ken get killed in the process?

Of course, that is playing with hypotheticals.

Maybe President DeSantis will release all that ammo the various departments are hoarding to the states with the mandate to have it used for "regulating" the citizens militia (ie give it out to any "proper person" wishing to train for the purpose of self-defense.)

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    He is not referencing to how the mall killer was armed or trained.

Let's say instead of highly proficient Eli, we had went to the range once Ken who thinks that makes him qualified.

Same gun as Eli, but he only hits the shooter maybe once or twice, and who knows where those other shots go.

Did Ken just shoot a couple of innocent bystanders? Does Ken have a reload, since maybe the mall killer is not neutralize? Does Ken get killed in the process?

Of course, that is playing with hypotheticals.

Abdul referenced the threat level of the mall killer. I have no idea how one can ignore how the killer was armed when assessing the threat level.

All I'm saying is Abdul used a lot of hyperbole. One would have to jump through a lot of hypothetical hoops to pretend inept Ken represents the same threat level as an intentional killer with a rifle and more ammo.

On a wound to wound comparison, rifle wounds are much more deadly than Ken's pistol wounds.
    The amount of ammo is relevant because more rifle shots are most likely going to be more deadly than fewer rifle shots in a mall food court. The killer had much more ammo than Ken did even in the unlikely scenario where inept Ken had a couple spare mags.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Abdul referenced the threat level of the mall killer. I have no idea how one can ignore how the killer was armed when assessing the threat level.

All I'm saying is Abdul used a lot of hyperbole. One would have to jump through a lot of hypothetical hoops to pretend inept Ken represents the same threat level as an intentional killer with a rifle and more ammo.

On a wound to wound comparison, rifle wounds are much more deadly than Ken's pistol wounds.
    The amount of ammo is relevant because more rifle shots are most likely going to be more deadly than fewer rifle shots in a mall food court. The killer had much more ammo than Ken did even in the unlikely scenario where inept Ken had a couple spare mags.
    So what I'm reading is we all need SBR's with us at all times. I'm good with that if we can get the alphabet agencies to release them to the masses.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy

I would say someone who is less trained probably has a greater chance of not getting shots on target and perhaps that would mean it's possible that bystanders would be hit by the misses, but those same bystanders are already in danger of being shot by the active shooter. While I agree that any responsible carrier will train as much as they can, I also believe anyone who carries, training or not, is a possible stop to an active threat.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Abdul says...

The bad guy had a rifle, about 120 rounds, and was intent on killing lots of people.

Does not enough training really turn you into that?
    I'll say yes on the first two, no on the third. With enough training you'll know that one is none(yeah I know bad guy had two, but still) and 120 rds, HA. With enough training you'll know the cost of ammo and learn to buy it cheap and stack it deep. I say that as someone with not enough training.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    We are discussing young mass murderers not criminals at large.

True, but is there some evidence that these factors are also true for the typical teenage gang-banger who robs a 7-11, or shoots up a funeral?

And when some young crook gets killed, do we see his father on TV crying about the injustice of it all? No, we see only a mother.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    True, but is there some evidence that these factors are also true for the typical teenage gang-banger who robs a 7-11, or shoots up a funeral?

And when some young crook gets killed, do we see his father on TV crying about the injustice of it all? No, we see only a mother.
    Also, I do believe that statistics indicate that (depending on the definition used for "mass shooting"/"mass killing"/etc.) the typical "young mass murderer" more resembles your example here, than the Greenwood Park Mall shooter.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    The media doesn't seem to have the same problem when it comes to Jan 6. They toss around negative connotation words like "insurrection", "insurrectionists", "riots", "rioters", "attack", "plot", etc. without hesitation. I strongly suspect if they were so inclined their word machines could come up with something more damning than simply "shooter". But they have chosen that word for a reason.

I never saw them referred to as "mostly peaceful protestors."

Top Bottom