• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    Hey man I have no doubt that you are NOT a terrorist or a criminal. I also did not imply that you were.

As for the device I recovered it was in fact a tracking device. It was outside of the vehicle and there is no way it could have recorded cell phone conversations or any conversations at all. This thing was 3/8 OD and 1/4" tall with a very, very strong unidirectional magnet(Magnetic all around the thing). It required the use of a leatherman tool to remove due to it's small size and powerful magnet. The magnet is powerful enough that it does not have to be placed on the vehicle directly. It can be placed on the ground in the path where the target vehicle will drive over it. No kidding it is that strong. This one had been on the vehicle for over one year and was loosing transmit power.

They didn't trick me. I was merely returning a favor for some work they had done for me. Work that got a once convicted gun carrying murderer back where he belonged (Federal Prison) for a VERY long time.:yesway: I will be long retired when this POS gets out.

By the way, a warrant for phone type taps ect. is very hard to get from my understanding. But that type of stuff is way above my little insignificant peon status.

i didnt mean the GPS recorded the cells. they have programs that do it off the satelites for all communications. its all digital now, even land lines.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    In a related case, the .gov is wanting another case just like this one, to be heard by the SCOTUS ASAP. They really want cops to not have to obtain warrants to place these devices on peoples cars. Total surveillance is the name of the game, from cradle to grave. Nothing satisfies them.

My Way News - Gov't asks high court to take GPS tracking case

That's nice how Obama takes an interest in oppressing civil rights the way he does. :rolleyes:

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    In a related case, the .gov is wanting another case just like this one, to be heard by the SCOTUS ASAP. They really want cops to not have to obtain warrants to place these devices on peoples cars. Total surveillance is the name of the game, from cradle to grave. Nothing satisfies them.

My Way News - Gov't asks high court to take GPS tracking case

And here we have yet another push to limit the definition of the term "unreasonable" by those who collect paychecks from the government. Our rights often just get in the way, and make it hard to bust bad guys, so we obviously don't need them. Right?

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    And here we have yet another push to limit the definition of the term "unreasonable" by those who collect paychecks from the government. Our rights often just get in the way, and make it hard to bust bad guys, so we obviously don't need them. Right?
    time for a restructure. people need to vote only for people who have never been a part of the government. if i was running for office that would be my platform "you know i've never screwed you because i have never been a politician before"

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I've got an ongoing discussion with a lawyer friend. Seems he comes down on the side of the GPS being okay because the information itself was in the public domain. I keep trying to bring up the fact that it took a violation in the security of the individual's EFFECTS in order to get this information via the GPS and THAT is what makes it unreasonable. You can't place a listening device on an individual just because he's sitting at a bar and can easily hear is conversation that is in the public domain. I don't see why they should be able to place a tracking device on the vehicle.

Between this and the glove box thing, I'm thinking vehicles may soon be completely unprotected.

Love the 1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2010
    Here's my problem with this article:

The Justice Department said GPS devices are especially useful in early stages of an investigation, when they can eliminate the use of time-consuming stakeouts as officers seek to gather evidence.

If the case is important enough, dedicating an officer to "collecting evidence" would not be a bid deal. In order to violate someone's rights, PC must be present. We can't violate rights in order to obtain the PC. Just get a warrant.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    Not only have many courts OK'ed this, but they have also upheld rulings that the device cannot be legally removed, disabled, or destroyed by the owner of the car. Evidently, the device still is .gov property, even though it is on your car.

Something like that shows up on my car, I'll slap some postage on it and send it to Antarctica.

I'd like to see them try after I do a Ingo show and tell.....

Top Bottom