• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    I cannot help on the OP, but would strongly suggest taking self defense classes. Start out basic and be prepared to advance as you find the discipline that suits you.

A fair amount of self defense classes also dovetail nicely into self defense with weapons, including lights, sticks, pepper spray, your blade and your pistol.

Achieving respectable levels of self defense training can help immensely with mental attitude towards security concerns that can seem eat at you, whether authentic or not.

:twocents:

I will agree...

I would recommend a class that teaches common sense rather than kick boxing or some kind of martial art...

No one wants to spend 2-3 years training to get strong enough to be proficient,
    And if you don't continue training... Use it or lose it.

I used to help out with highschool, but mostly collage women's self defense classes, the instructor had a fairly unique approach.

He took common reflex to lash out, pull away, etc and tweaked it slightly to be brutally efficient...
    Don't slap or scratch an attacker, gouge him in the eyes with straight fingers, stuff like that.

Its basically natural reflex, only aimed most effectively at pressure points/soft spots...
    Designed to throw that attacker into instinctive 'Flight' mode, or just inflict enough pain his body shuts him down.

Don't try to yank back from someone holding your wrist/arm, roll against the opening/thumb where you have the mechanical advantage over someone stronger...

With weapons, you start out with firearms...
    See any military basic training in the world,
    And as you get stronger, better trained it's pistols, knives, improvised weapons, hand to hand, etc.

You lower to your training,
    Anyone that thinks you 'Rise Up' to violent situation has never been in a violent situation...
    So get that training!

My wife now automatically carries anything in her left hand while the right one is on her pistol (she commonly carries cash receipts to the bank by herself).
    She normally carries a revolver that will shoot through coat pocket, purse, whatever, and when she practices from that start positions she shoots below the belt buckle first, then the navel, then one in the chest, always three rounds using the muzzle rise...

Now, before anyone busts vein in their head, this is the way a nationally recognized WOMEN'S self defense firearm instructor taught her...
    (Therefore not interested in what *I* did 'Wrong')

I taught her sight picture, trigger control, how to load, unload, make safe & clean her firearms...
    She got really good at target shooting and wanted to EDC after a couple creepy events at work,

I'm not an expert in women's self defense, so an actual expert taught her.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    The dressing recipe is somewhat from scratch, and I'll happily share the recipe if any one wants it.

If that recipe includes a pound of sage and 'Aged' oysters, we got that down here...
    Just the smell gets me queazy.

If you can choke it down, you'll be burping it for 3 days and farting it for another 3 days.

They can keep the 'Green Bean Casserole' with cream of mushroom soup that's a staple at Thanksgiving...
    Nothing like luke warm to cold slime on overcooked green beans.

And the 'Cranberry Sauce' jello looking substance they shake out of a can...

I'm thinking these are the same women that give you 3 year old candy corn at Halloween...

I grew up in a big family where all the old German farm women tried to out cook each other at Thanksgiving!
    I always thought that was the real 'Christmas', as much food as I could pack in, and all of it WONDERFUL!

I kind of broke tradition, deep fried turkey, lots of Cajun, butter, honey seasoning injected, etc. and baked HUGE honey cured hams in the hide...
    Pretty good at 'Heart Attack' green beans, as much sugar & bacon as beans :) .
    I can make a pretty fair dried apple pie too.

Old time farm men didn't cook anytime but outdoor grilling, but they would sure eat what the newer generation cooked!

Last edited:

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    An actual valid response with pertinent information...what’s this doing here?

I keed, I keed...good post.

I know, no political rant, no turn into left field... until the subject of food came up, I'm fat for a reason! :)

Now the ice has been broken, I guess anything is fair game, like always on INGO.

Short attention span theater around here...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If that recipe includes a pound of sage and 'Aged' oysters, we got that down here...
    Just the smell gets me queazy.

If you can choke it down, you'll be burping it for 3 days and farting it for another 3 days.

They can keep the 'Green Bean Casserole' with cream of mushroom soup that's a staple at Thanksgiving...
    Nothing like luke warm to cold slime on overcooked green beans.

And the 'Cranberry Sauce' jello looking substance they shake out of a can...

I'm thinking these are the same women that give you 3 year old candy corn at Halloween...

I grew up in a big family where all the old German farm women tried to out cook each other at Thanksgiving!
    I always thought that was the real 'Christmas', as much food as I could pack in, and all of it WONDERFUL!

I kind of broke tradition, deep fried turkey, lots of Cajun, butter, honey seasoning injected, etc. and baked HUGE honey cured hams in the hide...
    Pretty good at 'Heart Attack' green beans, as much sugar & bacon as beans :) .
    I can make a pretty fair dried apple pie too.

Old time farm men didn't cook anytime but outdoor grilling, but they would sure eat what the newer generation cooked!
    On the green bean casserole thing. My people (and CKW) makes this very well. It’s really good fresh as they used crispy topping on it (memory fart as to what it is) that’s the real deal fresh. It’s crap after it sits.

Grew up with farm people. The cooking was amazing and I miss it. The pies/cobblers were to die for especially when we churned out some ice cream in the hand crank deal.
    A pumpkin pie that was from a real pumpkin. You can’t find that anymore.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    On the green bean casserole thing. My people (and CKW) makes this very well. It’s really good fresh as they used crispy topping on it (memory fart as to what it is) that’s the real deal fresh. It’s crap after it sits.

Grew up with farm people. The cooking was amazing and I miss it. The pies/cobblers were to die for especially when we churned out some ice cream in the hand crank deal.

Not completely gone, I have grandma's recipe box, and my wife has a lot of her mother's & grandmother's recipes,
    Plus we have come up with several of our own...

As for 'Green Bean/Cream Of Slime'...
    Not on your life!
    Didn't grow up with it, so I find it completely disgusting.

On the other hand, I'm sure I like stuff that would gross most people out,
    I'll stand on your neck to get at snapping turtle,
    I really like 'Chipped Beef Gravy' on toast (S**t On A Shingle),
    I'm a Ramin Noodle junky,
    A slice of big sweet onion is a viable sandwich filler,
    Fried green tomatoes,
    I'm a big fan of hominy!
    I ferment my own sour kraut,
    (don't like the slimy canned stuff)

And I'm sure there aren't a bunch that like liver sausage, head cheese or blood pudding, eat brains much...
    Probably because it's not popular in the grocery stores in the last 2-3 generations.

Can't stand slimy soups, so called 'Chowders', or that cranberry crap from a can...
    And I'm have a big issue with 'Mixed Vegetables'...
    Probably because all the store bought brands use 2nds or 3rds, and you have to way overcook some veggies (soft/slimy) to get some cooked fully...
    Cook the damned things correctly, THEN mix them!

Some of us were subjected to those horrible TV dinners, rubber chicken with purple bones, 'Blue Goo' I'm not sure what it was supposed to be, sawdust 'mashed potatoes', and mixed veggies that pigs wouldn't eat...

Sorry, got to go with Justin Wilson on this one, 'Green Bean Casserole' isn't a casserole or fit for human consumption.

Try this,
    Thrown about a pound of fatty bacon in the skillet, just render it, don't cook it.
    Remove bacon and save for later...

Then throw in more onions than you think you need.
    Drain every second can of green beans, throw them In the bacon grease & clarified onions.

Add WAY too much sugar!
    I mean kill a diabetic amounts of sugar.
    Simmer to reduce moisture content,
    When the green beans start to caramelize, add the bacon back in.
    Simmer until the bacon is cooked,
    Serve hot.

Sounds nasty, tastes HEAVENLY!

Will send you directly to the ER with diabetes and clogged arteries! ;)

(Why we call them 'Heart Attack' beans and only make them a couple times a year)

But I haven't found anyone that doesn't rant & rave about them...

You can do about the same thing with hominy (picked or canned) and any hominy hater will ask for seconds.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Sometimes I forget your a gal. My bad. Please don't be offended about my comment. The boner drone is a long running joke.

How dare you to presume that "they" identifies as female!!! Haven't the past few years of stupidity at a new level taught you anything?:drama:

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    This is what's so great about INGO, a member asks about cell phone jammers and we're discussing green bean casserole and thanksgiving meals!
    :rockwoot:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Not completely gone, I have grandma's recipe box, and my wife has a lot of her mother's & grandmother's recipes,
    Plus we have come up with several of our own...

As for 'Green Bean/Cream Of Slime'...
    Not on your life!
    Didn't grow up with it, so I find it completely disgusting.

On the other hand, I'm sure I like stuff that would gross most people out,
    I'll stand on your neck to get at snapping turtle,
    I really like 'Chipped Beef Gravy' on toast (S**t On A Shingle),
    I'm a Ramin Noodle junky,
    A slice of big sweet onion is a viable sandwich filler,
    Fried green tomatoes,
    I'm a big fan of hominy!
    I ferment my own sour kraut,
    (don't like the slimy canned stuff)

And I'm sure there aren't a bunch that like liver sausage, head cheese or blood pudding, eat brains much...
    Probably because it's not popular in the grocery stores in the last 2-3 generations.

Can't stand slimy soups, so called 'Chowders', or that cranberry crap from a can...
    And I'm have a big issue with 'Mixed Vegetables'...
    Probably because all the store bought brands use 2nds or 3rds, and you have to way overcook some veggies (soft/slimy) to get some cooked fully...
    Cook the damned things correctly, THEN mix them!

Some of us were subjected to those horrible TV dinners, rubber chicken with purple bones, 'Blue Goo' I'm not sure what it was supposed to be, sawdust 'mashed potatoes', and mixed veggies that pigs wouldn't eat...

Sorry, got to go with Justin Wilson on this one, 'Green Bean Casserole' isn't a casserole or fit for human consumption.

Try this,
    Thrown about a pound of fatty bacon in the skillet, just render it, don't cook it.
    Remove bacon and save for later...

Then throw in more onions than you think you need.
    Drain every second can of green beans, throw them In the bacon grease & clarified onions.

Add WAY too much sugar!
    I mean kill a diabetic amounts of sugar.
    Simmer to reduce moisture content,
    When the green beans start to caramelize, add the bacon back in.
    Simmer until the bacon is cooked,
    Serve hot.

Sounds nasty, tastes HEAVENLY!

Will send you directly to the ER with diabetes and clogged arteries! ;)

(Why we call them 'Heart Attack' beans and only make them a couple times a year)

But I haven't found anyone that doesn't rant & rave about them...

You can do about the same thing with hominy (picked or canned) and any hominy hater will ask for seconds.
    SOS for the win. Love it.
    Sauer Kruat fried potatoes and sausage is a deep winter favorite.
    I can do Hominy as we had it for breakfast one the farm.
    The beans sound great but I am already a diabetic so.....:dunno:

We used Joel cuts of bacon on the farm for such dishes. These days we are stuck with whats packaged up at the stores.
    Never had to many TV dinners as my parents cooked what we ate.
    My sister has a recipe for what I call beanie burger. Couple of cans of good baked beans and a pound or more of ground beef. Cook the ground round and drain off. Add onions as desired. Add the beans and she seasons to her taste but wont say what she uses. :(: and it is great stuff.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    JOWL BACON!
    A gift from heaven!

We used to get up, go do morning farm chores...
    Then check on grandma & grandpa,
    Grandma always had either scrambled eggs & white sausage gravy,
    Or egg sandwiches with jowl bacon slabs,
    Either way on homemade biscuits!

Her coffee was TERRIBLE, just boiled to death on a stove top percolator,
    -- Just the way my grandpa liked it! ;)

She's the one that taught me how to make dried apple pies.
    Concentrated flavor, never mushy with (rehydrated) dried apples.

Took several tries before you could get though my crust with a chain saw, but I figured out what I was doing wrong...
    Had something to do with baking flour instead of 'Redi-Mix'. ;)

Real men DO cook!
    They just use better kitchen tools than most women!

Top Bottom