• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WebHobbit

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Spencer County
    Hey Glock people I just got back from Redbrush where I tried out my friend's G19 4th gen. He has the same short fingers problem that I do so it already had the smallest back-strap in place. :yesway:

Anyway after 150 rounds shot I have a few questions/comments:

1) Just like an older G19 I shot several years ago this gun also tends to slap me in the head/face with brass about 3-4 times per 15 rd mag. :( I'm guessing there aint a thing to be done about this? I suppose I could consider it a form of "stress training"? :D I used to assume this sort of thing had something to do with shooter height? Just another example of a world regulated for tall guys? 45 years on planet earth being a 5foot 4 inch dude you'd think I'd be over this by now....(NAH). :D Would load have any effect on the brass trajectory?

2) Compared to my XDms the trigger seems a bit stiffer but the reset is essentially the same (that is very small and effortless).

3) Barrel length on the G19 is a couple hairs longer than my 3.8 compact XDm. This makes TOTAL sense as my favorite holster (Galco concealable) has "extra" space after the barrel anyway. Not many holster makers tend to bother redesigning an existing model just because a gun maker makes a version with a shorter barrel. So the slightly shorter tube on the XDm compact doesn't really HELP much.

4) Magazines are "tighter" on the Glock vs. the XDm...that is to say there is less "slop" front to back. The XDm mags seem to need some "slapping" on a table to line up the rounds. Not so with the Glock mags. They go in and sit perfectly -no slapping required. Nice.

5) I already knew this from looking at the specs but shooting confirmed - Glock didn't go FAR ENOUGH with the smallest back strap. It could have and should have been a bit closer/thinner. There is simply no reason for the trigger reach on the gen4 to be longer than an XDm! All that WASTED space behind the mag well is crazy. :nuts: Why not have 4 levels instead of three? This way EVERYONE wins? XSMALL, SMALL, MED, LARGE - Glock please make this happen with the Gen 5!

6) Still not convinced that the U rear sight is as good as the 3 white dot arrangement I am used to. But it's "OK".

7) Over all it's not a bad package. I can shoot it about as well despite the grip being a bit thicker than my XDms. I will probably end up getting a couple of these since my XDms have failed me TWICE now:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/234295-xdm_jammamatic_junk.html

Last edited:

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I have a gen 3 19 that is on it's way back from glock, it had between 6 and 800 rounds and started spitting brass straight up and to the left regularly, with a right hand ejection being rare.

I am spoiled with my 1911's perfect ejection, someone told me I was limp wristing and that glocks often shoot brass straight up. Yeah, I understand that on occasion, not 10/15 rounds.

Anyways, I went ahead and had them put night sights on while it was down there (because the plastic sights were starting to get worn from carry)

I am planning on putting it through some paces and seeing what parts they replaced.

I loved the 19 while it was working properly, and I have smallish hands too. It's something you've got to adjust to; or modify the grip to make it "better feeling"

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I have 3 Glock 9mm pistols and they all shoot great, all are Gen 3's. I plan on picking up a Gen 4 G21 as soon as I can though. I wouldn't have a problem getting a Gen 4 9mm as long as the trigger felt good! I trust Glock with my life daily. :yesway:

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    op i suggest you stick with your xdm. as you can see glocks can also fail and need to be sent back also.

jesse485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    La Porte
    As far as the sights go, that's the one thing I think HAS to be replaced on a Glock. I've replaced a few other parts in my Glocks, but sights are the only necessary part to replace. I've heard them called dovetail protectors before, and I have to agree. Tell your friend to replace them with steel sights of his choice.

TAT7

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Branch out...don't just try one pistol, go try sig, hk, khar, ruger, smith, and others before you go off any buy something your not happy with because it sounds like your picky about what you want (that's a good thing). Don't go to the guns everyone else is using just because they are

WebHobbit

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Spencer County
    Well I'm not new to handguns. I've shot a tremendous amount of different models over the years. I've always been interested in Glocks. I always said that if they EVER did a factory 'grip reduction' I might consider buying one. With the gen 4 they more or less DID.

WebHobbit

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Spencer County
    op i suggest you stick with your xdm. as you can see glocks can also fail and need to be sent back also.

Well that's true but tossing the brass in an odd way is hardly comparable to failing to feed and extract FACTORY BALL at less than 1,000 rounds. And remember I had TWO different XDms with this issue. That's just NOT GOOD.

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    The Glock 19 sucks..... Period. Overly simple design that so outdated and is pretty much the 1911 of my generation. Let's dig this old platform a dying hole and bury it once and for all.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I've had a tremendous variety of handguns, and I always find myself going back to Glock. Cheap, simple, comfortable, and accurate. I've had 2 XD's, and sold them shortly after. IMO, the balance really sucked.

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    The new gen 4s (and gen 3s since they share parts) have had some ejection issues. Replace extractor with the proper model and you will eliminate that problem (unless it is operator error like limp wristing).

It sucks, scares people away from glocks. Fortunately I got my glock 19 before the gen 4 nonsense came out... and it doesnt effect any other caliber so my .40s have been great.

Good luck to you!

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/29...h-loaded-chamber-indicator-carbon-steel-matte

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    The new gen 4s (and gen 3s since they share parts) have had some ejection issues. Replace extractor with the proper model and you will eliminate that problem (unless it is operator error like limp wristing).

It sucks, scares people away from glocks. Fortunately I got my glock 19 before the gen 4 nonsense came out... and it doesnt effect any other caliber so my .40s have been great.

Good luck to you!

Lone Wolf Extractor Glock 17 19 26 34 Loaded Chamberdicator Carbon

Glock thought it was the 336 ejector that was causing the issues, not the extractor. Will definitely interesting to see what they replaced.

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    That is certainly part of the equation as well. I had read (consistently from those who had issues) the ejector still had little tool marks (or mold marks) on the edges and that this was easily corrected with at least the extractor if not that AND the ejector. Regardless, parts are cheap and it is an easy fix. No one wants to buy a gun that they have to fix first though. Any NEW glock should have the updated hardware. Check the date of MFG before you buy. Tell your friend to call glock and they will fix it for free. OR he can do it himself and not have to deal with a 3 week turn around time.

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    The ejection/extraction issue is fixable, no big deal. But if the grip is still too large for your stubby fingers, then keep looking until they make it thinner with a better trigger length for you. I don't have unusually stubby fingers like you do, but I have the same problem with the ACP/10mm platform. My biggest problem is a slight sausage finger disorder and the finger grooves are a little narrow, so I found me a gen 2 to fix that problem. Glocks don't fit everybody, glad you discovered before spending unnecessary money. Keep looking and you will find what fits AND you are confident in.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    I know some Gen4s have had issues but I have never had brass in the face from any of my Gen 3s, that issue should be easy to correct.
    Trigger is easy to fix, PM me if you like.
    You are correct about the grip. I can't understand what Glock was thinking but IMHO they weren't.

[FONT=&quot]NRA Life member [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Gunsite graduate Certified Glock armorer[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]1911 Mechanic[/FONT]

Hey Glock people I just got back from Redbrush where I tried out my friend's G19 4th gen. He has the same short fingers problem that I do so it already had the smallest back-strap in place. :yesway:

Anyway after 150 rounds shot I have a few questions/comments:

1) Just like an older G19 I shot several years ago this gun also tends to slap me in the head/face with brass about 3-4 times per 15 rd mag. :( I'm guessing there aint a thing to be done about this? I suppose I could consider it a form of "stress training"? :D I used to assume this sort of thing had something to do with shooter height? Just another example of a world regulated for tall guys? 45 years on planet earth being a 5foot 4 inch dude you'd think I'd be over this by now....(NAH). :D Would load have any effect on the brass trajectory?

2) Compared to my XDms the trigger seems a bit stiffer but the reset is essentially the same (that is very small and effortless).

3) Barrel length on the G19 is a couple hairs longer than my 3.8 compact XDm. This makes TOTAL sense as my favorite holster (Galco concealable) has "extra" space after the barrel anyway. Not many holster makers tend to bother redesigning an existing model just because a gun maker makes a version with a shorter barrel. So the slightly shorter tube on the XDm compact doesn't really HELP much.

4) Magazines are "tighter" on the Glock vs. the XDm...that is to say there is less "slop" front to back. The XDm mags seem to need some "slapping" on a table to line up the rounds. Not so with the Glock mags. They go in and sit perfectly -no slapping required. Nice.

5) I already knew this from looking at the specs but shooting confirmed - Glock didn't go FAR ENOUGH with the smallest back strap. It could have and should have been a bit closer/thinner. There is simply no reason for the trigger reach on the gen4 to be longer than an XDm! All that WASTED space behind the mag well is crazy. :nuts: Why not have 4 levels instead of three? This way EVERYONE wins? XSMALL, SMALL, MED, LARGE - Glock please make this happen with the Gen 5!

6) Still not convinced that the U rear sight is as good as the 3 white dot arrangement I am used to. But it's "OK".

7) Over all it's not a bad package. I can shoot it about as well despite the grip being a bit thicker than my XDms. I will probably end up getting a couple of these since my XDms have failed me TWICE now:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/234295-xdm_jammamatic_junk.html

Last edited:
    Top Bottom