• ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Congrats on the G23. The first order of business is to shoot it. With 1911s, I always disassemble, clean and lube them, but I've not done that with my Glocks. There's a bit of copper lube in there from the factory that is not supposed to be removed for some reason having to do with helping break in. Once you get comfortable with point of aim and the feel of the gun, you'll start seeing possible upgrades to make it fit you a bit better. One thing I do is to ditch the factory sights and go with a set of night sights. I've got 3 dot Trijicon's on my G23 but put the HDs on my G21. The HDs are expensive, but I like those much better. I also like to put Talon grip tapes on my Gen 3 Glocks and have had some trigger work done with them too. The trigger work helps a bit, but most of the benefit can be had by doing a bit of careful polishing.

In my opinion, the G23 is about the best EDC gun sold today. It's the perfect balance of capacity, caliber and concealability.

Oh, and welcome to INGO!

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    Congratulations on a fine purchase. I EDC a G23 Gen 3. I got rid of the plastic sights for Glock OEM night sights first thing.
    I have modded my Glocks quite a bit but have a couple bone stock for GSSF. They all shoot well.
    Since its your first Glock, polish up the internals, buy a bunch of ammo and shoot the snot out of it, you will figure out what you like and don't like about your Glock pretty quick.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I'm a huge fan of the g23. I'd only recommend a couple hundred rounds of break in, some better sights, and maybe a .357 sig barrel for a carry option.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Awesome!!! Are there any mods I should or shouldn't do to it?

As others have said, shoot the **** out of it and learn what you do and do not like about it. No need to change anything that doesn't need changing.

For me, the absolute best mod I did for my Glock 23 was trading it for an M&P9. :)

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    As others have said, shoot the **** out of it and learn what you do and do not like about it. No need to change anything that doesn't need changing.

For me, the absolute best mod I did for my Glock 23 was trading it for an M&P9. :)

H8tr

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Great pistol! I traded mine for a G19 because I was just more accurate with a 9mm. But good for you if you can shoot well with it.

Another vote for night sights if its a EDC gun. My G19's previous owner put the less expensive Tru Dot night sights on them. Dont overlook them if you find the Trijicons a tad bit expensive. Ive shot both and couldnt tell much of a difference. (though Im sure somebody here can tell me why Im wrong. :rolleyes: )

Chase515

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Oxford, In
    Newer gen3 glock 23, I installed a 3.5lb double diamond connector form the glock store a couple weeks ago. Ran 11 mags through it 50 federal aluminum case 40, a couple mags of wolf and the rest low recoil reloads 180gr x treme over 4.4gr of titegroup. Zero malfunctions. Also installed a set of Big O night sights and accuracy is acceptable, clover leaf group at 7 yards with slow fire. I snagged a lone wolf 357 sig 2 port barrel on sale last month 89$ , they sold out of the threaded 40 barrels before I could place my order. 35$ a box for 357 sig locally and brass, even used is expensive. I have a 9mm conversion barrel but it seldom gets used as I change out the ejector and extractor for the glock 19 parts. Its not difficult just a pain because I am impatient. Night sights are a must, buy more mags before you mod the gun shoot it and find out what you like or dislike about it.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Just picked my self up a glock 23 gen4 anything that should or shouldn't be done to it?

The most important part of any pistol is located inside the trigger guard, around the grip and extending back behind it. Work on that. The rest of the gun is fine.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    My all time favorite holsters are the Horsehide OWB Scabbard from Kramer Gun Leather. They are pricey and take months to deliver, yet are simply the best I've found so far. When carried with a good gun belt, it keeps the gun nice and high and tucked tightly in to your side. Wear that under an untucked shirt, and it conceals very well. I carried my G23 to the state fair twice this year with that rig and had no issues at all.

This is the holster I use: Leather Gun Scabbard | Kramer Handgun Leather

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    What holsters would you guys recommend? Want something the won't wear the finish off of it.

This is going to sound crass, but its not intended to be as bad as it sounds...

Dont worry about holster wear for an EDC. it happens. Dont want holster wear? You chose the wrong gun IMHO. It sounds like you want a safe queen if you are afraid of getting holster wear.

Let her get some dings and scuffs. its good for a Glock. I hear they run better the more you scuff them. ;) If you want pretty, get a Stainless 1911 and put it on display. :p

edwea

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jan 25, 2015
    New Dolan
    I would recommend spending a cool $100 or so on a lone wolf 9mm conversion barrel. Cheaper ammo to play with and can drop in and go. I even use the same .40 mags and no feed issues. I love my g23!

Top Bottom