• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Was looking at our chicken pen and there's nothing growing at all. They keep anything from growing. Figured I'd fence off garden. After everything is done in there and let my chickens scratch and fertilize it over the winter. Anyone else do this?

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Was looking at our chicken pen and there's nothing growing at all. They keep anything from growing. Figured I'd fence off garden. After everything is done in there and let my chickens scratch and fertilize it over the winter. Anyone else do this?
    I have seen it done with moveable chicken pens. Those chickens are little raptors. They had two pens and each had many chickens and they moved the pen with a tractor.

Chicken poop can be very hot. Good thing is you are not putting a extreme amount of fertilizer pre square foot if the garden is large or the amount of chicken are small.

I think it is a fine idea.

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    I have seen it done with moveable chicken pens. Those chickens are little raptors. They had two pens and each had many chickens and they moved the pen with a tractor.

Chicken poop can be very hot. Good thing is you are not putting a extreme amount of fertilizer pre square foot if the garden is large or the amount of chicken are small.

I think it is a fine idea.
    When would be a good time to pull chickens out of there? I was thinking maybe mid March?

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    When would be a good time to pull chickens out of there? I was thinking maybe mid March?
    I don’t know. I would think pulling them in March and planting in may would allow the **** to mingle into the soil.

They moved the coops every 3 months or less beownding on the amount of chicken in the coop. These coops were on rollers and if they left them in one place any longer they would not move.

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    I don’t know. I would think pulling them in March and planting in may would allow the **** to mingle into the soil.

They moved the coops every 3 months or less beownding on the amount of chicken in the coop. These coops were on rollers and if they left them in one place any longer they would not move.
    Thanks, was thinkn same thing.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Our potato experiment worked well. The gardener started the test in the greenhouse in February and we ppulled up one of the plants today that looked like it was passing on. Probably enough potatoes on the one plant for several meals so this project moves forward. I'll gather all trash tires around here and start getting beds ready for next year.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Harvesting zucchini, lots of lettuce, some big broccoli, the last of the peas, and NO OKRA!

Driving SE of FW I saw a lot of corn pushed over by the recent storms, and quite a few flooded fields.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Halve those, add minced garlic, chopped basil, mozzarella and some olive oil. Toss and enjoy. Maybe my favorite was to eat cherry tomatoes.

Diced cucumber, quarter or half cherry tomatoes, 1 tub feta crumbles, 1 pack bacon pieces (or about 8 strips crumbled), and half cup Italian dressing. Shake and serve. Better if sits overnight.

Top Bottom