• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Chief is now testifying. The man is a liar. He claims that Chauvin is applying more than moderate pressure but also claims to have seen all of the video. The two statements are fundamentally incompatible.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    For some reason I thought the State rested Friday. Maybe this Friday?
    Yeah, I've heard that things are going faster than they thought (mostly because it seems like the defense is taking a light touch to most of the cross exam). So, I think the State may rest as soon as this coming Friday.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    There's an INGOer who I'm nearly certain has significant experience dealing with expert witnesses. Even in my limited interaction with that particular scenario, a pretty compelling argument about reasonable doubt starts with something like, "Now, I'm not a doctor and based on the jury questionnaire, neither are any of you. But if the experts can't agree on what killed him, then that is enough for reasonable doubt."

Then it falls back to the old trope about better for 9 guilty men to go free than convict a single innocent man.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    There's an INGOer who I'm nearly certain has significant experience dealing with expert witnesses. Even in my limited interaction with that particular scenario, a pretty compelling argument about reasonable doubt starts with something like, "Now, I'm not a doctor and based on the jury questionnaire, neither are any of you. But if the experts can't agree on what killed him, then that is enough for reasonable doubt."

Then it falls back to the old trope about better for 9 guilty men to go free than convict a single innocent man.
    Seems logical to me. But......

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Chief is now testifying. The man is a liar. He claims that Chauvin is applying more than moderate pressure but also claims to have seen all of the video. The two statements are fundamentally incompatible.
    You’ll have to explain this one, because it doesn’t seem to make sense.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Had he watched the videos and told the truth he would have to account for Floyd bobbing his head and neck up and down which requires Chauvin's application of force to be limited. If I saw it how in the universe did he not see it unless he willfully chose not to see it.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Just a guess, but in the video, Floyd was clearly able to lift his head, so Chauvin couldn't have been applying that much pressure.

That, combined with the lack of any bruising suggests that there wasn't any significant force being applied to Floyd's neck.

Positional asphyxia? Maybe, but since Floyd was complaining about not being able to breathe before he was taken down leads one to believe that there was something else in play that was causing his distress.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Just a guess, but in the video, Floyd was clearly able to lift his head, so Chauvin couldn't have been applying that much pressure.

That, combined with the lack of any bruising suggests that there wasn't any significant force being applied to Floyd's neck.

Positional asphyxia? Maybe, but since Floyd was complaining about not being able to breathe before he was taken down leads one to believe that there was something else in play that was causing his distress.
    I am with you here! Pulmonary edema caused by the drugs was in fact in play. As an experienced drug abuser Floyd KNEW this all while he was complaining about everything from his heart to genetal warts. His associate who kept lipping off from the peanut gallery KNEW this. Neither of the bothered telling the truth in the knowledge that Floyd had ingested copious quantities of drugs. Still this magically becomes Chauvin's fault.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Had he watched the videos and told the truth he would have to account for Floyd bobbing his head and neck up and down which requires Chauvin's application of force to be limited. If I saw it how in the universe did he not see it unless he willfully chose not to see it.

Ah ok. I understand. So, at least to me, there’s a couple ways to look at this, or interpret the Chief’s words.
    First, a head/neck has two rotational points. It’s is completely possible to move one’s head while the neck is being pinned to the ground with weight.
    Second, “moderate” means what? It’s undefined. If I say I lift a “moderate” amount of weight at the gym, the next guy might call that “negligible.” So unless there’s a standard we all understand, one can’t really come to an ultimate conclusion.
    Lastly, Floyd was described a a “big guy” by Chauvin. What’s the point of restraining a guy with “moderate” pressure? If your intent is to keep a “big guy” immobilized, you’re going to use the amount of force you think is needed to keep him that way. Given a knee on the neck is considered pretty much anywhere as “deadly force,” due to the possibility of injury, it doesn’t make sense to employ what one would consider a moderate use of force.
    The Chief doesn’t appear to be lying, and if he was, why didn’t Chauvin’s lawyer attempt to impeach him on that comment?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Just wondering aloud here, but Floyd’s autopsy stated his death as being a homicide. Then two other medical examiner’s commissioned by the Floyd family concurred with that original opinion. Are these opinions not relevant? I know that many think there’s some vast conspiracy at play, to “save people’s careers,” or “so that the riots don’t burn down the city.” I see these as **** poor arguments, that indicate an unwillingness to look at the facts being presented and testified to by professionals. Essentially disregarding everything because of the belief in said conspiracy, regardless of how relevant it may be.

Top Bottom