• ...and so much more!
  • Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy

I appriciate the judge's acknowledgement but this is kind of a "well that's just like your opinion man" point as far as the trial itself, today, is concerned. We are wrapped up and headed into deliberation so I suppose whatever happens is going to happen. It doesn't seem likely that a mistrial is getting declared at this stage.

tbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    So are you alleging that police have worse aim when shooting black people than other races? It's safe to assume that the deaths caused by shooting would be proportional to the count of people were shot by police. So using this statistic is useful for the point he was making. He was making the point that many people of other races are killed by police and when that happens those races don't tend to riot. I mean. You gotta "cheat" their candidate out of office or make them wear masks to get them to riot.

In fact, it is rare that police shooting a white suspect (whether or not the suspect lives or dies from it) ever makes national news. Why is that? It's because it's not of national interest. Neither should the other be national interest. There is nothing that should be considered more significant about people getting shot by police when they happen to be black. I've posted a statistic several times on INGO of deaths caused by police per 100k encounters. Between Blacks and non-Blacks it's almost identical. Whites are something like 0.4 per 100k encounters and Blacks are slightly less at 0.3 per 100K encounters.

The importance of that, it makes clear what the real problem is. The problem to solve is the number of encounters people have with police. The more you encounter police, especially an encounter which turns confrontational, the more likely police are to advance in the use of force. Of course you know that.
    This is your greatest post ever.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    The cdc has a pre-determined outcome already in hand. They would NOT study gun crime, they would use their "study" to justify forcibly removing firearms from every American. Except for criminals, they already don`t obey the law...

I would imagine the "study" would be contracted out to a beltway firm composed of ex-CDC people, which would then kick back some of the money and continue to be a place of employment for retired or moved on CDC people. The longer it's around, the more it seems to mean "Count-De-Cash.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I appriciate the judge's acknowledgement but this is kind of a "well that's just like your opinion man" point as far as the trial itself, today, is concerned. We are wrapped up and headed into deliberation so I suppose whatever happens is going to happen. It doesn't seem likely that a mistrial is getting declared at this stage.
    Although the judge admonished the comments made by Waters he did deny the motion for mistral.

tbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    So all the jurors have been doxed?

It would not shock me that someone who made it onto the jury already knew they would vote guilty before they saw any evidence. In addition, they will likely not hesitate to leak the name of the juror who would not vote guilty and hung the jury (instead of hanging Chauvin). Better make sure the insurance is all paid up (homeowners and life).

Trial are too important to be decided by juries (wish I could make this purple but feel like it's true in this case.

View attachment 136363
    Yeah, and presidential elections are too important to be decided by legitimate voters.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Although the judge admonished the comments made by Waters he did deny the motion for mistral.
    As he probably should IMO. It's food for an appeal down the line but I don't think the content of her statement directly rises to the level of justifying the extreme step of declaring a mistrial. There is too much vagueness and deniability in there, I think a juror would have had to be confronted on the street or have rioters show up at their home to get an immediate mistrial on those grounds.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    It would be great if they kept statistics on encounters which were resisted, and what the outcomes of those were. But, it is reflected in the statistics even when we don't know the exact numbers. The deaths per 100K police encounters kinda tell us at least whether it's proportional. It doesn't tell us what kind of force was used that resulted in the deaths or whether it was justified or not. It does tell us something about how evenly people die because of police enounters, because that is broken down by race.

I posted an article on INGO that broke that down maybe a couple of years ago. I have no idea where that post is. I think I got it from serendipity. I came across it while looking for something else. And I can't find it again. I just remember a statistic 0.3% of police encounters with Black people (all encounters with police that would be recorded, including traffic stops) ended up with the person killed by police. It was 0.4% for whites, or at least non-Blacks, I don't remember which. I suspect it was for whites. I think I recall it being even less for Hispanics?

The hard data posted was about "shot and killed' because that data exists.
    Bringing up data that doesn't exist is deflection, changing the subject, moving the goal posts, etc. That is what the left does when they don't like the hard data and they can't censor it.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    That would require the judge to admit he screwed the pooch throughout the trial. Jury should have been sequestered from the start. Prosecutor hiding evidence. I think the judge will be embarrassed on appeal.
    I think you are right. Several questionable steps happened - the first of which was not moving the venue.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    That would require the judge to admit he screwed the pooch throughout the trial. Jury should have been sequestered from the start. Prosecutor hiding evidence. I think the judge will be embarrassed on appeal.
    I think you are right. Several questionable steps happened - the first of which was not moving the venue.
    Who gets to determine whether a jury is sequestered or not? My first thought was that it would usually be the defense, but I could see where the prosecution would do it too. Is it solely up to the judge?

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I was sequestered before cell phones were popular but we were not allowed television, newspapers, radio or other forms of communication, etc. so unless things have changed a lot I'm guessing cell phones are out.
    I would think they would have to be, otherwise it would be very hard to stop them from getting info or communicating.

Genuinely curious about this.

Top Bottom