• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Threatening others just doesn't work. Especially at members of this forum. We can all agree to have different views on how to protect ourselves or our homes.
    Now, back to the subject. I saw the door frame reinforcements available but $100 a piece for $12 of steel? Anyone have a do-it -yourself version?

Can you post a link to the ones you've seen? I may know someone who could do something similar.:whistle:

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Threatening others just doesn't work. Especially at members of this forum. We can all agree to have different views on how to protect ourselves or our homes.
    Now, back to the subject. I saw the door frame reinforcements available but $100 a piece for $12 of steel? Anyone have a do-it -yourself version?

I got Armor Concept EZ armor but they all seem just about the same, but if you want to DIY you can get small sheets of metal at pretty much any hardware store, cut, drill and bend. Wouldn't be too hard if you really know what you are doing. I just went ahead and spent the 70$ i paid for mine, was very quick and easy.

I need to call about the 3m film, just been too busy here recently. To the person who saw it on Ebay - it might be very comparable, there are several other companies that make comparable (or even stronger) products, but installation would be hard - you don't want bubbles, wrinkles, tears, etc. If you can tint windows with your eyes closed maybe you could do it pretty well, but I've never seen a non-pro be able to apply a full window tint without mistakes.

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    All great ideas. Concertina wire is excellent. The nail-soil/thorny plant idea is also interesting. My problem is that I'd be replacing the storm windows before I remembered and die of tetanus. Lexan is a thought, but as noted, does craze with some serious solvent application. Doorframing is a no-brainer, if easily overlooked. I wonder if the guys at Johnson Safe would also be willing to build a doorway? Similar expertise needed.

As for fireproofing, I suggest aerogel-impregnated insulation matting. Aerogel is very lightweight, adding very little weight to insulation, and by itself, almost totally negates any type of energy transfer - thermal or acoustic. It is easy to shatter into small pieces but combined with insulation, burn-through is almost impossible, but nothing is totally impossible. However, if you google videos for it, a one-inch-thick piece of aerogel with a blowtorch under it has no effect on several crayons resting on top of it.

.38 Special

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2012
    From my understanding most burglars will move on to an easier target once they realize it will take a lot of time and a lot of noise making to break in (i.e. fortified doors, filmed and locked windows) but then again that is in a world with ROL. In a world WROL it is more likely they will stay and find their way in if they really want in.

Many videos about Katrina survivors who couldn't call the police because they were stretched so thin that burglars were raiding houses with people inside them still.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    From my understanding most burglars will move on to an easier target once they realize it will take a lot of time and a lot of noise making to break in (i.e. fortified doors, filmed and locked windows) but then again that is in a world with ROL. In a world WROL it is more likely they will stay and find their way in if they really want in.

Many videos about Katrina survivors who couldn't call the police because they were stretched so thin that burglars were raiding houses with people inside them still.

At that point the best preparation is that of being ready to convert such persons into corpses.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I need to call about the 3m film, just been too busy here recently. To the person who saw it on Ebay - it might be very comparable, there are several other companies that make comparable (or even stronger) products, but installation would be hard - you don't want bubbles, wrinkles, tears, etc. If you can tint windows with your eyes closed maybe you could do it pretty well, but I've never seen a non-pro be able to apply a full window tint without mistakes.

Be VERY CAREFUL with the window films. Thicker films does not make film stronger or less tear resistant. More layers make film stronger/less tear resistant. Think of it like plywood. The cross directions of the wood fibers and the multiple layers make the plywood stronger than solid wood.

I used 3M film on a couple businesses and on my home. I looked at other films and chose 3M. For me, I think it is the right choice.

There are films that actually help resist bullets, the 3M does not. Each product has its own strengths and weaknesses. I like the 3M product for its guarantee, for its performance as an ENERGY SAVING film and its performance against break-ins.

Again, NOTHING is foolproof.

Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Oh, I forgot this... You can buy securuty system stickers on eBay. What the burgulars do not know, won't hurt. I realize that requires power to effective, but for everyday "security" it may help. I have a stack of them that I need to stick on!

T-Bolt

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2011
    Lafayette
    uline.com sells empty sand bags. My plan in a SHTF situation is to fill them and put them under windows and in front of beds inside the house. Placed next to exterior walls the weight won't be an issue. A big advantage is that they can't be seen from outside. My goal isn't to make a fortress but to prevent a drive by or pop shots from getting lucky.

Just one small part of a bigger plan, just thought I'd share.

Last edited:

jath08

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2012
    Greencastle, IN
    I’ve been looking into the idea of fortifying my home for preparation of future events. Any ideas?

The idea of the 3m or lexan on the windows is good especially if your trying to make your house NOT look like a fortress, but your going to need to see whats going on the outside if you plan on staying barracaded in your house. If the bad guys are outside you surely dont want to stand in front of or peek out of a window at them. Invest in a good home security camera setup with a dvr recorder. I have an 8 camera setup placed around the house and property with IR floodlights for improved nightvision where they are needed and eache camera has a motion activation alarm that is triggered by something of deer size or larger. The whole setup was less than $500. I have this tied into my backup power generator incase of power outages. Next in line is the good ole early warning system of the family dog's followed by whats in the safe and on the night stand to take care of any problems if the need arises.

IMO an alarm system signaling the police is a waste. Most are tied into the phone lines and if someone was trying to get in and new what they were doing they would cut the phone lines. Besides by the time the police got there whatever confrontation would probably be done and overwith. Not to mention in a SHTF situation the phone lines would probably be down and the police would be so tied up with "other" things they wouldnt ever get there if the alarm was working. For everyday use there fine and can make a difference but if your thinking SHTF then no.

Other things to consider that I dont think has been mentioned.

Motion lights, tied into a backup power source or solar powered motion lights Menards has them.

Battery powered window and door alarms, the magnetic switch kind that you can find at Walmart. They work pretty good and are affordable.

The nails under the window or trip wires and such I'd steer away from unless the SHTF. I was told by an attorney that those are a big NO NO. If the intent of the device ( i.e. nails in wood under the windows) is to hurt or mame somebody even if someone is tresspassing on your property or trying to break in thats a lawsuit waiting to happen. You can be held legally acountable for it. Its all tied into the same kind of deal where you cant legally shoot someone for just trespassing on your property outside your dwelling unless you feel your life or that of someone else is in immediate danger. Not to mention what if a child or someone thats not posing a threat, or doesnt know about the devices gets hurt by one.

Remember getting an early warning of a possible threat may make the difference in life or death.
    Just my :twocents:

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    TInvest in a good home security camera setup with a dvr recorder. I have an 8 camera setup placed around the house and property with IR floodlights for improved nightvision where they are needed and eache camera has a motion activation alarm that is triggered by something of deer size or larger. The whole setup was less than $500. I have this tied into my backup power generator incase of power outages.

IMO an alarm system signaling the police is a waste. Most are tied into the phone lines and if someone was trying to get in and new what they were doing they would cut the phone lines.

I've been looking into a camera setup, did you install your own or have someone do it? The setups I've been looking at are about 500$ but then I'm guessing installation and wiring would be almost just as much. EDIT: Some of the cameras I've looked at are even more - some of the lower end versions weren't clear enough of a picture for me to even consider them. I want to be able to make out faces and features.

For the alarm systems a large majority of companies are switching to a wireless notification and only use a landline as a backup. Ours is setup that way - even if they cut the landline they are only severing the backup.

But for both of those if they shut down my power they only stay on for a short while, the alarm system does have a battery backup built in but I think it only lasts about 4 hours.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Be VERY CAREFUL with the window films. Thicker films does not make film stronger or less tear resistant. More layers make film stronger/less tear resistant. Think of it like plywood. The cross directions of the wood fibers and the multiple layers make the plywood stronger than solid wood.

I used 3M film on a couple businesses and on my home. I looked at other films and chose 3M. For me, I think it is the right choice.

There are films that actually help resist bullets, the 3M does not. Each product has its own strengths and weaknesses. I like the 3M product for its guarantee, for its performance as an ENERGY SAVING film and its performance against break-ins.

Again, NOTHING is foolproof.

Agree, after reading a post you or someone else made here several months ago I did a lot of research and for home use 3m seems to be the winner. Some of the stronger/thicker/more layers seemed neat but cost a lot more and would often admit to not being very clear, or some even only had a lifespan of 10-15 years before they would yellow/peel/etc.

Not looking to stop bullets, my 2 pane windows even with 3m film would probably still be pretty easy for a determined attacker to get through, but it sure would slow them down.

jath08

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2012
    Greencastle, IN
    I've been looking into a camera setup, did you install your own or have someone do it? The setups I've been looking at are about 500$ but then I'm guessing installation and wiring would be almost just as much. EDIT: Some of the cameras I've looked at are even more - some of the lower end versions weren't clear enough of a picture for me to even consider them. I want to be able to make out faces and features.

For the alarm systems a large majority of companies are switching to a wireless notification and only use a landline as a backup. Ours is setup that way - even if they cut the landline they are only severing the backup.

But for both of those if they shut down my power they only stay on for a short while, the alarm system does have a battery backup built in but I think it only lasts about 4 hours.
    I installed it myself. Pretty easy and straightforward, just took a little time trying to get the cameras placed where I wanted them. I ended up getting mine off of ebay thats why it was so cheap. I went with a Samsung system and if you dont need 8 cameras wally world has a 4 channel with everything you need to install it for around $350 I think. Everything would have ran $800 or so if I bought it at a store. The cameras on the Samsung are pretty decent, very clear in daytime and they do pretty good at night, good enough for facial recognition and fine details. If you want the best camera look for something with a 420 TV line resolution.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    are your cameras wireless to the DVR or hub or whatever you call it? or do you need to wire both power and to the system?

I'm looking into upgrading the home security system to include an 'online viewable' camera soon, after the 3m tape, but I think they start racking up the fees/charges pretty quickly and only offer like 1 or 2 cameras. Although I think 2-3 would be more than enough for my house, I could cover 90% of the downstairs with 2 and all the hallways on the upstairs with a second one, but I guess an exterior one at the front and back doors might be nice too. HMM.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    are your cameras wireless to the DVR or hub or whatever you call it? or do you need to wire both power and to the system?

I'm looking into upgrading the home security system to include an 'online viewable' camera soon, after the 3m tape, but I think they start racking up the fees/charges pretty quickly and only offer like 1 or 2 cameras. Although I think 2-3 would be more than enough for my house, I could cover 90% of the downstairs with 2 and all the hallways on the upstairs with a second one, but I guess an exterior one at the front and back doors might be nice too. HMM.

All my cameras are hardwired. Wireless cameras are typically much lower resolution. All my cameras are viewable on my iPhone/iPad/computer.

I have 2 complete systems, one has 13 cameras and the other has 5. Both are connected via an ethernet cable to each other. I have 2 Terabytes of storage. Both systems have power supply boxes to power the cameras. Both systems have dedicated battery back up systems. I also have about a half dozen long range infra red flood lights. Realize that the DVR is a BIG/HUGE factor in the quality of your recordings, it must be able to record events at 30fps to prevent skips/jumps and it must have enough hard drive space to give you ample storage.

Most of my cameras are this type: [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Evertech-Security-Camera-Infrared-Distance/dp/B004GWO2GQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1344389707&sr=8-2&keywords=dome+security+camera+700tvl]Amazon.com: Evertech Security Camera - 700TVL Dome Camera for Indoor Outdoor 100ft Night Vision in Totally Dark 1/3" Sony Super HAD CCD 36 Ir LED Color Dome Camera 100ft Infrared Distance: Camera & Photo[/ame]
    41rE-vHPXiL.jpg

They have auto-iris, all have IR emitters, all are armored to prevent people from poking them with a stick and changing the direction of their focus. All have Sony EFFIO II chipsets with 1/3" sensors.

I also have a few specialty cameras to look over gates, fuel storage tanks, etc. Those include these: [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Vitek-CCTV-VTC-IRE40-3516-Waterproof/dp/B005UPUHI0/ref=sr_1_8?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1344389837&sr=1-8&keywords=vitek]Amazon.com: Vitek CCTV VTC-IRE40/3516 700TVL Infrared Bullet Camera with 150' Range 3.5-16mm OSD, External Zoom/Focus Control, Highlight Masking, Waterproof - IP68: Electronics[/ame]
    61Bkza8cAFL._AA1200_.jpg

Be careful with this type of camera, it must be mounted high enough that nobody with a baseball bat or stick can smack it. Hit one of these and all of a sudden you have a great view of the grass under the camera, or perhaps the wall 3" from the camera. Any camera, no matter how expensive, if its on a gimbal type mount, is subject to vandalism; choose your location for these very carefully.

My IR flood lights are typically these units:
    [ame=http://www.amazon.com/CMVision-IR130-Outdoor-300-400ft-Illuminator/dp/B004F9LF7E/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1344390004&sr=1-3]Amazon.com: CMVision IR130 - 198 LED Indoor/Outdoor Long Range 300-400ft IR Illuminator With Free 3A 12VDC Adaptor: Electronics[/ame]
    31-xamXGFAL.jpg

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    .250 Lexan cut to fit, and screwed or bolted over all the glass on the exterior of your home. Might not keep people out all together, but will certainly stop objects from being thrown through windows and doors. You can even cut separate panels so you can still operate your windows. concrete blocks will bounce off the stuff, sometimes taking out the thrower.
    I like this idea, cause my house has 8 FRENCH DOORS, you can see outside from almost any room in the house, need to protect from someone kicking my french doors down

Top Bottom