• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cannon762

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Gas City Area
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afwsJG_dvwc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afwsJG_dvwc[/ame]

Of course this would be a horrible idea if you had outside dogs/children/family that stops by unannounced/etc.

Doesn't stop it from being awesome!

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I am remiss in not previously mentioning what is probably the best primary defense--avoid doing things that attract unwanted attention, like starting on a range trip by carrying your guns to the car parked out front or having your home give the impression of being the exceptional place on the block. I am not advocating having the place look like Scotty just beamed it over from Mexico, but there is a lot to be said for being the 'gray man' of real estate. It may sound somewhat in bad faith regarding your neighbors, but if their place looks more interesting, they are likely to take the first hit.

Birdman002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 7, 2012
    South Bend
    The grandparents summer lake house got broken into one winter through a window, To combat this from happening again I put sharpened nails through boards then buried the board under a few inches of dirt so all that stuck out was 3 inches of nail. I put layers of them around each window, starting at 2 feet out from the window in. Not noticable AT ALL and seriously effective.

My buddy and I used to make those when we were younger called them "Bear Traps" cept there were no bears and we never tried to trap them just cool to make. Nifty to see people making them

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    The grandparents summer lake house got broken into one winter through a window, To combat this from happening again I put sharpened nails through boards then buried the board under a few inches of dirt so all that stuck out was 3 inches of nail. I put layers of them around each window, starting at 2 feet out from the window in. Not noticable AT ALL and seriously effective.

My buddy and I used to make those when we were younger called them "Bear Traps" cept there were no bears and we never tried to trap them just cool to make. Nifty to see people making them

The up-sized versions work wonders on tires!

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Do thy sell windows with the 3M all ready on them? Replacing my windows at some point.
    Not that I know of.

. . . It may sound somewhat in bad faith regarding your neighbors, but if their place looks more interesting, they are likely to take the first hit.
    BINGO, this is one of the points I was making. If your house looks like a "hard target" then most thieves will wander over to another house and rob them instead.

Last edited by a moderator:

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    You can still buy functional storm shutters made of aluminum or steel. They are mainly marketed to protect homes from hurricanes.

Reinforce your door frames with steel. Most doors are perfectly capable of keeping people out, it's the frame that nearly always fails.

badwolf.usmc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2011
    2 hourse SE of Chicago
    As several people have said, there is no way to make your home impregnable. Every obstacle can be breached with the right equipment and time. What these obstacles do provide are warning and time, how much warning and time you need is what you must decide upon. Also remember that any obstacle that keeps people out is going to keep you inside and/or keep emergency responders from helping you.

Here is a small list of things i recommend:
    *Motion detection lights, use them as a early warning system.
    *Crossbar and kick plates for doors, this will provide you with several minutes of protection but can easily be undone from the inside in case of emergency.
    *Security film for windows. There isn't too much you can do for windows without it being a fire risk.
    *A good fence around your house/property.
    *A good dog.
    *Engaged neighbors that you know and who know you.
    *Alarm system, they have proven to work if used correctly.

However, without knowing what you want to fortify against there is no way to make suggestions that will work for you.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    -
    And I believe that means individual confrontation.

It's time to kick some ass...

As a Greek I can honestly say the lessons learned form my culture are we have always focused on not being in a fair fight. At least for the past 5 generations.

Something as simple as a few rolls of razor wire in a shed can be a game changer. You may never need it, but IF you do, that **** is magic.

Macho individual confrontation does not work when you are out numbered. You might want to read up on history a bit more? One of the best quotes ever: If you are in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    The biggest threat you will have to consider is fire: how to prevent it; how to escape it if you can't prevent it. If I wanted to break into your house to do you harm and couldn't get in, I'd be inclined to burn it down around your ears, starting with your roofing.

Which is why my next house will be ICF with tin roofing.

chraland51

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Camby Area
    Steel doors and bullet proof windows or move to a cave that has a secret exit and an auxiliary ventilation system. There are not too many houses that I have seen that would protect you for very long if someone were shooting at you from the outside. Wood framed houses will offer no protection. Concrete blocks are worthless for any large caliber bullets. I would rather shoot from behind a tree or a rock or a vehicle than try to fend off anyone from a house unless it was one of the old ones made from several thicknesses of brick. Years ago I was amazed at what an 8mm Mauser would do to heavy concrete blocks. I do not know what a person could do to fortify a normal house to make it be avoided by anyone more than some idiotic angry teenagers who are too lazy to put forth much effort. My plan is to load up as much of my survival gear as I can into my 4X4 and head to my cabin in the woods where I know that I will be amongst like minded people. This is my plan, but it does not have to be anyone elses because I might be all wet in my planning.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    wow. troll spray activated!

I don't know why traderjack decided to join this conversation and throw a tantrums, make threats, etc.... but everyone knows that is unacceptable behavior on INGO. traderjack is a "shooter" for two weeks because of the above issue. I would ordinarily make it permanent but all the goodwill I have experienced lately has taken an effect.....

Last edited:

Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Hey, eBay has some DIY security film. I know it is probably not as good as the 3m, but has anyone tried this? I have thought of getting some to put on my patio door. Thoughts??? Yep, I am one cheap dude!

Spinaltapls1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    Avon, IN
    the 3M film seems like a good idea. i would like to keep my home looking like a home. Im going to look for some barbwire just to have. i could see motion light good for normal situations but if SHTF i could see them making your house stand out and invite unwanted attention

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    Threatening others just doesn't work. Especially at members of this forum. We can all agree to have different views on how to protect ourselves or our homes.
    Now, back to the subject. I saw the door frame reinforcements available but $100 a piece for $12 of steel? Anyone have a do-it -yourself version?

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    Ideas to consider with your house:

How close are you to the road?
    How close are you to a neighbors house?
    How close to you are the woods?
    How far can you see from your house clear field of fire or open fields
    How easy is it to walk up to your house from blind spot around your place?
    Are you hidden from the road, in a valley or a hilltop?

These answers will change ways you defend your place.

Top Bottom