• ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I had a conversation with the vet today.
    He told me that blue Dawn dish-washing liquid will kill adult fleas on dogs and cats.
    Really?
    O.K.
    I ran home and dropped one dog after another in the bathtub and scrubbed them down.
    Much to my surprise, fleas just fell off all three dogs and died momentarily!

Now the vet did tell me that this will not effect the flea eggs, or larvae, but it will kill all adults fleas it contacts, and it's safe to bath a dog every other day or so, until your problem is gone.

He specifically said the BLUE Dawn liquid. I don't know if the other colors would work as well, if at all, but I know for a fact (now) that the blue stuff works GREAT!

It's also a LOT cheaper than flea shampoo.

Just an FYI

Last edited:

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    It works like a champ. But if your dog has sensitive skin, Dawn will dry it out badly and make them scratch worse than when they had fleas.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    It works like a champ. But if your dog has sensitive skin, Dawn will dry it out badly and make them scratch worse than when they had fleas.

You can always rewash them with a moisturizing dog shampoo while they're still in the tub. Personally, I just dip my dogs in a mixture of bleach and ammonia*.

*Disclaimer: This is not actually what I do. Don't ever do this. Also, don't mix bleach and ammonia or you'll make hydrochloric acid, chloramine, and hydrazine, all of which are extremely hazardous.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    You can always rewash them with a moisturizing dog shampoo while they're still in the tub. Personally, I just dip my dogs in a mixture of bleach and ammonia*.

*Disclaimer: This is not actually what I do. Don't ever do this. Also, don't mix bleach and ammonia or you'll make hydrochloric acid, chloramine, and hydrazine, all of which are extremely hazardous.

But it does kill the fleas though, correct?

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I'll have to keep the Dawn Blue trick in mind. I've always used Adam's Flea and Tick Mist. You can spray the poor beasts down with it and watch the fleas fall off them dead, in seconds. Works on horses for flies, too. Do keep in mind that, if you have carpets or rugs, you have to treat them, too. As well as bedding and even couches and chairs if the animals get on them.

.356luger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    martinsville
    Check into permethrin mix and spray type poison safe for peaople and 99.99% of mammals but kills most insects and is terible on fish and if exposed to direct sunlight it decomposes in a few weeks.

I usually mix ample ammonia into calculated bleach levels and place the open container in front of my return grill for the furnace. Kills everything in the house

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I usually mix ample ammonia into calculated bleach levels and place the open container in front of my return grill for the furnace. Kills everything in the house

This is a fools errand. Mixing ammonia and bleach kills many, many people each year that don't know better.
    What you will end up with will indeed kill anything in the house, INCLUDING humans! It only takes one or two good breaths of the resulting mixture and you will drown in your own fluids.

DO NOT MIX AMMONIA AND BLEACH!

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Make sure you have goggles on, you want to protect your eyes...

g93qNn1.jpg

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    "It's sometimes better to be silent, and thought a fool, than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt."

Example follows-

I read you loud and clear. You're saying I should only do it if I add a mystery THIRD ingredient! What is it? Gasoline? Turpentine? I bet it's brake cleaner. Is it brake cleaner?

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I found a good tip years ago.
    FLEA TRAPS:
    Use shallow white bowls (I used frisbees)
    Mix a little liquid soap in water and fill the container
    Place on the floor near a night light
    The fleas jump in and die in the soap solution.

You'll be amazed at how many you can "catch" in one night!

They are attracted to the light color of the dish, and drown in the solution.

.356luger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    martinsville
    So, you're saying we should go ahead and do it if we're extra careful and wear a long-sleeve shirt?

You should never wear long sleeves when mixing chemicals if it gets on the shirt it holds the caustic solution against your skin. Same principal as cooking bacon with a shirt on, pure crazyness. i dont wear goggles cooking bacon and that is way more dangerous than mixing a few household chemicals . :flasher:

Flea cake recipe:
    NaOCl + 2HCl → Cl + NaCl + H O

2NH + Cl → 2NH Cl + 2EGGS

Mix in glass bowl let raise a thermal foaming action is normal during the rising process place in sun until ready to eat enjoy

Last edited:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bengineer
    Top Bottom