• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bauerr3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 29, 2013
    Southside
    I am looking for help deciding on the first rifle I should purchase. I have shot my dads .22 rifle (semi-auto), though I don't know the name. I have also shot a 17 hmr bolt action at the shooting range I attend. My first question would be, should I get bolt action or semi-auto? I have read what everyone says: bolt action is good for learning basics and conserving ammo, while semi-auto is good for fun and throwing brass everywhere.

I have not been shooting actual rifles for long, but I have been shooting pellet rifles for the last year, heavily. I can hit a 1inch spinner at 50 yards all day, and I have a good handle on how to shoot my rifles. Should I consider myself a beginner and get a bolt action to learn, or would my pellet rifle shooting be treated as my beginner shooting, and go with a semi-auto?

Some people have told me to buy both and go to the range to see which I like better. I could do that, because I have the money for it; but as a college student living at home, my parents aren't too excited about me getting one rifle, let alone two.

Thanks in advance.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    My vote would be for the bolt action. There is a lot to be said for semi-autos too, but a good bolt action tends to be more accurate (in general - not saying that there aren't some very accurate semi-autos too), and the ammo conservation aspect is valid also, especially given the ammo situation right now. I've had two .22 semi-autos and have gotten rid of them both in favor of a Savage bolt action. In centerfire rifles I have both semi-auto and bolt action, and the bolt guns are my favorites (well, except maybe for my Garand :D), and for the same reasons.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    My advise would be to pick up a Ruger 10/22. Learn to use it, customize it or sell it when your ready for something else. You can always quickly sell a used 10/22.

Then, sign up for a Project Appleseed nearby and learn how to properly shoot that rifle.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    As a person that hunted hundreds of times for Squirrel in Northern Indiana in the 1950's and 60's, I can state that I have never seen any significant difference in accuracy in 22 caliber bolt vs semi-auto rifles. In 99.9% of the 22 caliber rifles I have fired, all were more accurate than the shooter.. I personally like my Marlin 60 which I bought used a few years ago for $30. One thing about 22 caliber rifles - if they function properly (semi-autos are a little more prone to have feeding or ejector problems with some mistreatment) very few have any issues - the barrel is good for many shots - probably more than 25 to 50 thousand. If you look at used rifles you can often get pretty good buys and they will last you the rest of your life with little care. I know the 10-22 is favored by many but I have never cared much for them. I just like a standard Marlin, Stevens, Remington, Mossberg etc.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    Like LarryC, my Marlin 60 is one of my favorite rifles. I don't see a problem getting a semi-automatic as your first rifle.

I would suggest going to your LGS, checking out several rifles. Bolt, semi, lever, and see what feels best. :twocents:

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I started on the Ruger 10/22. If you have a good LGS they should have a decent selection of .22s. Find one that suits you. You could also peruse some gun shows. No need to hurry on your first purchase.

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    It's really hard to go wrong with a Ruger 10/22.

That being said, I love the Marlin Model 60, and I've always wanted to get a Savage Mark II.

danmrt868

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    ft. wayne
    I have a couple of 10/22's and love them. But i am looking forword to getting a marlin model 60. This rifle is tube feed and shoots just as good as my 10/22's. But bolt guns and semiauto guns in 22cal are great gun's to learn with. Just get one or both and get to shooting them cause you need to get familer with live ammo.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    The ideal first rifle is a FR8 Spanish Mauser in .308 glass bedded in a custom modified Bell & Carlson stock. I wonder if there might be one in the classifieds?
    :):

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    My first rifle was a Marlin Model 60 with a cigar scope. It was my granddad's at the time, but now that he's passed its mine, and one day it will be my son's. Its still my go-to rifle for rabbits in the garden.

bauerr3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 29, 2013
    Southside
    Looking at what everyone is saying, I think I will be going with a 10/22. After looking at all the accessories I can put on it, I have almost 200$ worth of stuff on my wishlist...haha

My next question is this: I am wanting to get the Takedown model, for the simplicity of transporting it. I like being able to have everything in one bag, but I am unsure how this model stacks up to the others. Does anyone have any reason why I should/shouldn't get the Takedown? Should I get a regular 10/22 as my first rifle, then go out and get the Takedown when I'm more comfortable shooting?

Thanks again for all the replies.

Twin50

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2013
    Crawfordsville
    I bought a M&P 15-22 in December last year and magazines were going for 80 bucks for one mag....now I can find them for 15 bucks..... 22 Rifles are a great starting point....problem now is finding the ammo...

Top Bottom