• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I will throw out another vote for the Ruger 10/22.
    Fun and easy to shoot, cheap to feed, reliable, and a ton of options for it.

I realize you said you want it for defensive purposes and the .22lr really isn't the best option for that, but it is a good rifle to start with and learn the basics for cheap. Plus it is nice to have a .22 rifle for plenty of plinking.

For a defensive rifle I would suggest trying out as many as you can and see what feels best to you. I would probably recommend something chambered in 5.56/.223 or 7.62x39. The ammo isn't too expensive and is pretty easy to come by. Maybe an AR, AK, or SKS.

Good luck with your decision. :ingo:

armedindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    marlin 795 is a good one to start with (my first rifle was a smith and wesson m&p ar15, but that was because i shot one, loved it and had to have it.)
    the marlin is inexpensive, ammunition is cheap. and it is quite accurate. probably the best fun for the money i have spend on firearms to date. thinking about buying a second one so i can have one with a scope for distance shooting and one with irons for plinking pop cans.

i have one too, and it is a great and fun shooter....but il tell you what i tell everyone that asks this...yes a .22 is probably the more prudent choice....but i still think an ak 47 is an awseomely fun and badass freakin rifle...theyre not TOO expensive and if your first ends up being your "only" then you arent really missing much if you just have an ak...just my thoughts:ingo:

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I'm going to have to throw out my vote for a 10/22. In fact, I think you happen to know someone who lets you come out and shoot who OWNS a 10/22...

Getting a .22 will let you train your fundamentals for CHEAP. You may not think you need them; but you do. Everybody does. And a .22 is the best there is for sitting down and spending all day deliberately punching bullseyes and cans for practice. A LONG day at the range can cost you less than $20....which will get you all of half an hour, if you're slow about it, with a "real" rifle caliber.

After you've used the .22 for a bit, I'd say you could upgrade to one of the other three mentioned here fairly easily, (AR, AK, or SKS,) and utilize those fundamentals.

Mike.B

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    Grant County
    Just like most of the rest to start a .22 would be best. Get one with regular sights to learn the basics. After you get the hang of that get a cheap scope if you want to try shooting a bit further.
    I won't pretend to know what rifle to tell you to get, instead I would find a 10/22 Ruger Compact and put it in your hands. Hold on to it find what you do and don't like and narrow the search down to fit your preferences. If you are lucky you will find a good local shop that will take the time with you to find a rifle to fit your needs.

catielynnb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    Louisville
    Looks like a 10/22 might be my starter based off of here, and I can stop by my local shop and see how that goes.

Time to start really thinking, reading and doing my research outside of here. You guys are the best!

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    If it's a first rifle for learning rifles, yes, the 10/22. If it's for actual defense (presumably inside the home) a 20 or maybe 12 gauge shotgun with appropriate loads (there we get into a whole other thread). You didn't mention your physical stature. Are you small and light, or can you push a 4WD out when it's gotten stuck? For defensive purposes, if you get something too big for you, it can handicap you for followup shots. A good pattern with a 9mm carbine will win out over a single 7.62x39 and 29 fliers. Are there others in the home? Are they likely to be downrange when you fire? What's between you and them? First, define your purpose and your parameters, then select the tool for the job. It gets complicated, but you're in the right place here.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Find if there is an INGO meet & greet near you. Most members allow people to try their weapons, and will talk your ear off, about how "this si the BEST".

They'll probably show you how to disassemble and clean.

catielynnb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    Louisville
    You didn't mention your physical stature. Are you small and light, or can you push a 4WD out when it's gotten stuck?

I will have no problem with a weight, or recoil, if that's what you're asking. However, the last time I tried I couldn't pull a pickup truck out of the mud. Maybe next time....

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    I tend to agree with what a lot have already posted. The Ruger 10/22 is a great starter rifle. You can hone your basic rifle skills, they're fun, cheap to shoot, and easily upgradeable. +1 for the Ruger 10/22!

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    If it's a first rifle for learning rifles, yes, the 10/22. If it's for actual defense (presumably inside the home) a 20 or maybe 12 gauge shotgun with appropriate loads (there we get into a whole other thread). You didn't mention your physical stature. Are you small and light, or can you push a 4WD out when it's gotten stuck? For defensive purposes, if you get something too big for you, it can handicap you for followup shots. A good pattern with a 9mm carbine will win out over a single 7.62x39 and 29 fliers. Are there others in the home? Are they likely to be downrange when you fire? What's between you and them? First, define your purpose and your parameters, then select the tool for the job. It gets complicated, but you're in the right place here.

Careful with those stature questions, or you might wind up being the one downrange from her! :laugh:

catielynnb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    Louisville
    Careful with those stature questions, or you might wind up being the one downrange from her! :laugh:

He's got a point. XD

eatdessertfirst

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2012
    I would also vote for the 10/22. It is the first firearm I bought. Easy to handle. Cheap to shoot. Get a scope with see through rings.

For home defense, I am now looking for a .30 carbine, but get the Ruger first. Easy to learn on and always dun to shoot. The .30 carbine will be expensive to buy and expensive to feed.

jackadew

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Washington Co.
    He's got a point. XD

I don't think size has anything to do with shooting well as long as the gun fits you. I think most of us that was recommending a .22 for a starter was wanting you to learn muscle memory, not to anticipate recoil and devolepe the dreaded flinch. I'm 49 6'1" 200lbs and my father got me my first gun while i was still in my mothers womb...and i still flinch on bad days. But i get my .22's out and shoot them to get my trigger finger back(muscle memory).

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2012
    First Rifle.

My first rifle was/is a mosin nagant 7.62x54r. I love it. Walked out with the gun and 100 rounds for about $200. There is enough weight to the gun that there is not much recoil. But that is just me. Ammo is not too much but its getting hard to find in stores but its that time of year. But you can find them online for great deals. Hope this helps.:ar15:

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    203   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I would consider a 9mm AR-15, and a 9mm Glock handgun. That way you are using the same caliber for both. Between those 2 guns, you should be set for a home defense set-up. :twocents:

Top Bottom