• churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    FIL is off the ventilator after 8 days!

FIL did well today. He held at the 45% FiO2 and breathed a lot on his own. They have been decreasing his sedation but kept him on meds for anxiety for now.

The nurse said once it's out he'll still be plenty groggy. She also said his muscle tone isn't great, so they will have a therapist come work with him. He will need to stay in the hospital for several days yet after the vent is removed, but she wasn't sure how soon he would get moved out of the ICU to a normal room.

All in all a good update. :thumbsup:

Good news.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

FIL did well today. He held at the 45% FiO2 and breathed a lot on his own. They have been decreasing his sedation but kept him on meds for anxiety for now.

The nurse said once it's out he'll still be plenty groggy. She also said his muscle tone isn't great, so they will have a therapist come work with him. He will need to stay in the hospital for several days yet after the vent is removed, but she wasn't sure how soon he would get moved out of the ICU to a normal room.

Great to hear!

:rockwoot:

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States

Good news. Here's to his ongoing recovery

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    That is excellent news. We on the non-icu floors are getting info that is to encourage proning of high O2 use patients to try to prevent the need of intubation/ventilation. Our stats are showing 15% of those needing vented don't make it...not entirely sure how different the stats are from all vented patients (non-post op), however.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Just heard from my middle sister that our older sister is in bad shape. She's been hospitalized with pneumonia and covid for awhile now and today the doctors started talking to my niece (her daughter) about end of life decisions. They're going to try giving her antibody treatments but she's in extremely poor health (morbidly obese and has been on dialysis for a couple of years). It's not looking good. Of course we'll hope for the best, but we're expecting the worst.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    Just heard from my middle sister that our older sister is in bad shape. She's been hospitalized with pneumonia and covid for awhile now and today the doctors started talking to my niece (her daughter) about end of life decisions. They're going to try giving her antibody treatments but she's in extremely poor health (morbidly obese and has been on dialysis for a couple of years). It's not looking good. Of course we'll hope for the best, but we're expecting the worst.

sorry to hear this DD...:(

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    sorry to hear this DD...:(

Thanks ghitch. You know, I've been thinking all day about how tired I am of hearing about covid. It's dominating the news now, not to mention the threads over in Gen Pol about it here on INGO. Getting this news this evening was just icing on the :poop:-cake.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    Thanks ghitch. You know, I've been thinking all day about how tired I am of hearing about covid. It's dominating the news now, not to mention the threads over in Gen Pol about it here on INGO. Getting this news this evening was just icing on the :poop:-cake.

i hear ya.....makes me and the g/f pull our hair out.....just sick of this :poop:

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus

Hate to hear this. I'll be praying for her and your family.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C

Good deal! Hopefully he's on the up swing now!

Sorry for you dude! Hopefully the antibodies will give her a fast turnaround.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Tuesday, 12/1

This morning FIL had spiked a fever and his white blood cells were elevated today. They are trying to figure out where the infection is coming from and did a CT scan this afternoon. He’s been having a hard time swallowing since having the vent removed as well, so they will bring in a speech consult to evaluate that.

UPDATE as of 7:45pm. CT was clear. Nothing going on with GI. No UTI. Waiting for PICC line culture to come back. Giving him antibiotics and his fever has come down for now. The youngest used FaceTime and talked to him this evening. He is awake but not able to really talk or respond much yet.

She shared a picture, he is a shell of what he was before. He has lost a lot of weight, muscle mass, and looks exhausted.

My wife and family are having a rough time as it is bringing back images when her mom entered hospice this spring.

Thanks for the prayers and well wishes. One milestone crossed has uncovered new challenges. The road to recovery is a long one.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Was around a person that tested positive (notified today noon, they were swabbed Sunday noon).
    Was around them for an hr Sunday. At their house.
    Now am quarantined.
    Hopefully my kid with health issues doesn't get it.
    Will know more in a week I guess.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    i hear ya.....makes me and the g/f pull our hair out.....just sick of this :poop:

We are so past sick of this :poop: for many reasons.

DD, it is not good to hear this but with all those strikes against her going in she is on that side of the scale. You and family are in our thoughts.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Tuesday, 12/1

This morning FIL had spiked a fever and his white blood cells were elevated today. They are trying to figure out where the infection is coming from and did a CT scan this afternoon. He’s been having a hard time swallowing since having the vent removed as well, so they will bring in a speech consult to evaluate that.

UPDATE as of 7:45pm. CT was clear. Nothing going on with GI. No UTI. Waiting for PICC line culture to come back. Giving him antibiotics and his fever has come down for now. The youngest used FaceTime and talked to him this evening. He is awake but not able to really talk or respond much yet.

She shared a picture, he is a shell of what he was before. He has lost a lot of weight, muscle mass, and looks exhausted.

My wife and family are having a rough time as it is bringing back images when her mom entered hospice this spring.

Thanks for the prayers and well wishes. One milestone crossed has uncovered new challenges. The road to recovery is a long one.

Renewed prayers and positive thoughts outbound my friend.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Was around a person that tested positive (notified today noon, they were swabbed Sunday noon).
    Was around them for an hr Sunday. At their house.
    Now am quarantined.
    Hopefully my kid with health issues doesn't get it.
    Will know more in a week I guess.

The waiting sucks and so does the self-quarantine. I hope you are on the fortunate side and did not contract the virus.

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Mother in law started feeling bad a few days before Thanksgiving. My wife and kids had gone shopping with her the Saturday before. Wednesday night, mother-in-law gets a positive rapid test. Thanksgiving canceled.

Wife starts feeling bad Thanksgiving day, as does my son. We manage an ad hoc family dinner, just the four of us. That night I start feeling feverish and achy. I'm supposed to work on Friday, so I called our COVID hotline to see what they wanted me to do. They have me come in for a rapid test, while my wife heads to our county health department. We both test positive.

My wife's symptoms are mostly respiratory, coughing and congestion, whereas I mostly just ache in my joints. Monday, I thought I was bouncing back, but my fever spiked hard Monday night, up to around 103. The weird thing is, the fever seems to come mostly in the afternoon and evening; I feel okay during the day. This morning I feel pretty good, but we'll see what happens tonight ...

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Probably the last update on my daughter- day 14, she is out of quarantine and she never had any symptoms that we could directly tie to COVID (occasional headaches)...and the rest of us, given the recent lowering of the days to isolate, will be out on Saturday.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Wednesday, 12/2 - update

Still trying to figure out the source of FIL’s fever today. All CTs and scans have been clear. They will get a consult from an infectious disease doctor in DSM to confirm their course of treatment or if they should modify it. He is responding to his name and commands, but is too weak to communicate much more at this point. Youngest son has been able to visit and give us some information from that.

Top Bottom