• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    We are 10 days from my daughter’s exposure and 5 days from her positive test. No symptoms so far. Not a one.

As mentioned above, she has the 2nd floor of our house to herself. On Thanksgiving, we ate together by her eating in the loft above while we moved a table into the living room below. We have been very successful in maintaining distancing. No one else in the house shows a sign of anything so far. We figure she only has a few more days of “isolation”.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We are 10 days from my daughter’s exposure and 5 days from her positive test. No symptoms so far. Not a one.

As mentioned above, she has the 2nd floor of our house to herself. On Thanksgiving, we ate together by her eating in the loft above while we moved a table into the living room below. We have been very successful in maintaining distancing. No one else in the house shows a sign of anything so far. We figure she only has a few more days of “isolation”.

If this is anything like the last 3 situations we know of you are OK.
    No I am not a Dr. No I do not know much of anything but we have been around this a bit.
    So before I get another angry PM or this post is reported this is merely my opinion based on personal experiences.
    Some of you folks are just a bit to wrapped up in this.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    I was deathly sick in January thru February of this year. I don't work in the same factory of one of the first Covid deaths here in Kokomo but did have exposure from the same people due to my side hussle. So anyhoo, I had the classic symptoms but no testing available. I had to have a Covid test in July before my shoulder surgery. Yes, I tested postive for antibodies but wasn't told until after my surgery many days later as I was kinda down for the count.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I was deathly sick in January thru February of this year. I don't work in the same factory of one of the first Covid deaths here in Kokomo but did have exposure from the same people due to my side hussle. So anyhoo, I had the classic symptoms but no testing available. I had to have a Covid test in July before my shoulder surgery. Yes, I tested postive for antibodies but wasn't told until after my surgery many days later as I was kinda down for the count.

Sick around the same time frame. Found out the same way. Blood tests later for another issue and tested positive for the anti-bodys.
    Not deathly sick but no energy at all. None.,

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    If this is anything like the last 3 situations we know of you are OK.
    No I am not a Dr. No I do not know much of anything but we have been around this a bit.
    So before I get another angry PM or this post is reported this is merely my opinion based on personal experiences.
    Some of you folks are just a bit to wrapped up in this.

You’ll get no ire from me. Personal experiences are not irrelevant. Also, given that she is completely asymptomatic (thankfully), while I have no issue believing asymptomatic people can spread, I think that they are also less likely to do so.

I suspect that my wife and I may have had this mildly a while ago, but I’m not $160 (per) curious just yet.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Holy crap, it cost $160 for the antibody test? :dunno:

$119 at any lab test now.

https://www.anylabtestnow.com/greenwood-46142/tests/coronavirus-covid-19-igm-igg-antibody-test/

labcorp is $43 but not sure that includes a blood draw

if you need an order for it there is a virtual company that will do it for $10

https://www.labcorp.com/coronavirus-disease-covid-19/individuals/antibody-test

I donated blood at Versiti and they give Ab results for free but it takes up to three weeks

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Great info doc, thanks!

Is the antibody test more accurate than the other testing? I keep hearing of inaccurate testing results, going both directions. :dunno:

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    LabCorp uses Abbott and Roche antibody assays, they are very accurate.

I tested negative for SARS-CoV-2 IgG antibodies at LabCorp in May and again a couple weeks ago.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Great info doc, thanks!

Is the antibody test more accurate than the other testing? I keep hearing of inaccurate testing results, going both directions. :dunno:

I don't know. some of the antibody tests cross reacted with other coronavirus strains.

my blood test was negative for antibodies at Versiti. I donated Thursday and my results available next Saturday

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    You’ll get no ire from me. Personal experiences are not irrelevant. Also, given that she is completely asymptomatic (thankfully), while I have no issue believing asymptomatic people can spread, I think that they are also less likely to do so.

I suspect that my wife and I may have had this mildly a while ago, but I’m not $160 (per) curious just yet.

REd Cross blood donation will get you an antibody test at no charge. Just say'n"...

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    $119 at any lab test now.

https://www.anylabtestnow.com/greenwood-46142/tests/coronavirus-covid-19-igm-igg-antibody-test/

labcorp is $43 but not sure that includes a blood draw

if you need an order for it there is a virtual company that will do it for $10

https://www.labcorp.com/coronavirus-disease-covid-19/individuals/antibody-test

I donated blood at Versiti and they give Ab results for free but it takes up to three weeks

Red Cross blood donation will get you a free antibody test. Results have take about 2-3 business days.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States

I'm glad you are able to take those steps, and hopefully slide through without exposure.

The unpredictable nature of how contagious this is, is baffling.

One of my employees came in with a "head cold" exactly 2 weeks ago. I sent her home; she tested positive for Covid on a rapid test the next day.

I'm not really surprised that none of us caught it at work. We have to work in somewhat close proximity at times, but do so no more than necessary. If someone wants to take their mask off, we turn on a powerful overhead exhaust fan. Lots of hand washing, and of course disinfecting because we do that anyway.
    However, neither her family nor her boyfriend got sick. Thankfully this includes her elderly grandfather who visited her about 36 hrs before she got sick. (she of course isolated at home after she knew she was positive)

But the baffling thing is wondering where she got it in the first place. Other than work or visiting the boyfriend, she just occasionally goes in a store for a short time. So perhaps one of those stores had a highly contagious person in it??

I think the current estimate is something like 10-20% of the infected spread 80% of the disease. It's like the virus read marketing101 :dunno:

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    But the baffling thing is wondering where she got it in the first place. Other than work or visiting the boyfriend, she just occasionally goes in a store for a short time. So perhaps one of those stores had a highly contagious person in it??

All it takes is one infected person coughing into their hand and then touching the credit card pin pad or a shopping cart. I wear a fresh pair of gloves everywhere and discard them on my way out the door (or after I have put away my shopping cart).

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Here we are- the 7th day since my daughter's positive test and 12 days from her exposure.

We are releasing her from the 2nd floor on Weds. unless something strange happens. Still no symptoms. No loss of taste or smell; no nothing.

...and this is an example of why we shouldn't be too concerned about average college kids...as long as they stay at college. At this point, several of her friends have tested positive and all are having, roughly, the same experience she is. One had an intermittent headache for a couple of days. It's good to be 21.

As for the rest of our family, so far, so good. I will say this- by second and third-hand accounts, we know of several people who have had severe problems up to and including death. I'll just say that not enough is being made of obesity as a complicating factor. It affects everything.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Here we are- the 7th day since my daughter's positive test and 12 days from her exposure.

We are releasing her from the 2nd floor on Weds. unless something strange happens. Still no symptoms. No loss of taste or smell; no nothing.

...and this is an example of why we shouldn't be too concerned about average college kids...as long as they stay at college. At this point, several of her friends have tested positive and all are having, roughly, the same experience she is. One had an intermittent headache for a couple of days. It's good to be 21.

As for the rest of our family, so far, so good. I will say this- by second and third-hand accounts, we know of several people who have had severe problems up to and including death. I'll just say that not enough is being made of obesity as a complicating factor. It affects everything.

Diabetes is another factor according to my Dr.
    Respiratory issues as well.
    There are others.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    FIL is off the ventilator after 8 days!

FIL did well today. He held at the 45% FiO2 and breathed a lot on his own. They have been decreasing his sedation but kept him on meds for anxiety for now.

The nurse said once it's out he'll still be plenty groggy. She also said his muscle tone isn't great, so they will have a therapist come work with him. He will need to stay in the hospital for several days yet after the vent is removed, but she wasn't sure how soon he would get moved out of the ICU to a normal room.

All in all a good update. :thumbsup:

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    FIL is off the ventilator after 8 days!

FIL did well today. He held at the 45% FiO2 and breathed a lot on his own. They have been decreasing his sedation but kept him on meds for anxiety for now.

The nurse said once it's out he'll still be plenty groggy. She also said his muscle tone isn't great, so they will have a therapist come work with him. He will need to stay in the hospital for several days yet after the vent is removed, but she wasn't sure how soon he would get moved out of the ICU to a normal room.

All in all a good update. :thumbsup:

Excellent! Seems he's been having a rough way to go by following your updates.

Top Bottom