• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I finally broke down and did it! Took advantage of any and all Black Friday / Cyber Monday style deals I could find.

The build list:

PSA Anderson stripped lower $49
    PSA lower build kit w/ Magpul MOE butt stock, grip and trigger guard $109
    PSA Premium CMV 16" barrel w/ 1:7 twist $279.99 - this was their blemished upper deal
    ICE ARMS 9130 nitride-coated bolt carrier group $129
    ICE ARMS aluminum charge handle $17
    Magpul Gen 2 rear sight $41

That isn't including the shipping on the PSA items or the FFL fee but my total if my maths are correct is $624.99
    My only regret is why I didn't build one sooner. Nothing fancy but it was incredibly cool and far easier that I had anticipated putting one together.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      173.8 KB · Views: 65

Sainte

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    Grats! Now you need to look up a 12 step program that deals with your new addiction......

illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    Congrats! Makes me want to build one. Bought my first AR, but these posts keep inspiring me to take the plunge...

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Congrats! Makes me want to build one. Bought my first AR, but these posts keep inspiring me to take the plunge...

You should go for it. The most difficult part assembling it was the roll pin for the bolt catch since it goes in parallel to the receiver but a good long punch worked wonders. The only other difficult part was deciding what to buy.

fdbc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Westfield
    I also bought the PSA lower with the lower kit black Friday special. Last night I received the complete PSA upper as a gift. Today I went to the Kokomo gun show and bought the buffer tube/stock kit. The only thing left to buy is a rear sight or some type of optic. I plan on starting the build tomorrow with my daughter, this is going to be a project for the two of us. I can't tell where the blemish is on either of the PSA pieces. Has anyone else found the blemishes? This is my first AR and I have only shot an AR once.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I also bought the PSA lower with the lower kit black Friday special. Last night I received the complete PSA upper as a gift. Today I went to the Kokomo gun show and bought the buffer tube/stock kit. The only thing left to buy is a rear sight or some type of optic. I plan on starting the build tomorrow with my daughter, this is going to be a project for the two of us. I can't tell where the blemish is on either of the PSA pieces. Has anyone else found the blemishes? This is my first AR and I have only shot an AR once.

Most 'blemishes' are incredibly minor marks from what I have heard. My blemished upper...I am guessing my blemish is on the inside of the receiver best I can figure. Whatever it is I can't see it and it saved me about $100+ over the non-blemished one. Let us know how it goes.

Also Midway USA has a good video on their sight that goes through step by step of the assembly. Very good resource.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Thanks for the tip on Midway I will take a look.

The video is good. It it is as much a tutorial as it is a chance for Larry to roll out plenty of tools. There are several there that would be good if you were assembling several but I managed mine with a small hammer, 2 small punches, a rag and a small piece of copper bar to act as a hammer block for installing the trigger guard roll pin and as a bit of help for driving in he bolt release roll pin.

threedhuntr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 25, 2011
    Howard county
    I finally broke down and did it! Took advantage of any and all Black Friday / Cyber Monday style deals I could find.

The build list:

PSA Anderson stripped lower $49
    PSA lower build kit w/ Magpul MOE butt stock, grip and trigger guard $109
    PSA Premium CMV 16" barrel w/ 1:7 twist $279.99 - this was their blemished upper deal
    ICE ARMS 9130 nitride-coated bolt carrier group $129
    ICE ARMS aluminum charge handle $17
    Magpul Gen 2 rear sight $41

That isn't including the shipping on the PSA items or the FFL fee but my total if my maths are correct is $624.99
    My only regret is why I didn't build one sooner. Nothing fancy but it was incredibly cool and far easier that I had anticipated putting one together.

Congratulations and welcome to the club !!!

Guitargallegos

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2013
    Pendleton
    Are there any specific sites you used to make sure everything would go together? Or if it's an AR it will go together? Sorry I'm looking into doing the same thing but I am new to shooting.

thanks

fdbc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Westfield
    Are there any specific sites you used to make sure everything would go together? Or if it's an AR it will go together? Sorry I'm looking into doing the same thing but I am new to shooting.
    I have found information on AR15.com as well as Youtube.

fdbc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Westfield

I have found information on AR15.com as well as Youtube.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon

thanks

The only things I've picked up on so far would be insuring your buffer tube and butt stock are compatible. There are Mil-Spec and also commercial tubes and stocks...make sure you buy he right tube and stock. Also some after market triggers appear to have larger pins than the standard trigger groups do. Aside from that about 99% of everything I've seen will pretty much drop it or go together.

fdbc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Westfield
    Me and my daughter built our AR today following NSZ video on You tube. It was alot easier to build the lower than I had anticipated. We used a complete upper from PSA too match the stripped lower from PSA.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Me and my daughter built our AR today following NSZ video on You tube. It was alot easier to build the lower than I had anticipated. We used a complete upper from PSA too match the stripped lower from PSA.

Fantastic! Congratulations to the both of you!

I am am simultaniously working out what I'd like my next build to be while trying to amass as much .223 ammo as possible in order to attend a training course coming up next year. I guess I knew that getting hooked on building AR's was one of the dangers and I might just be hooked after my first build. Giv us a pic if you can when it is completed.

dhamby

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Crawfordsville area
    I decided to build my first ar as well. Built the lower and bought the complete upper as well as swapped out the hand guard for a free float.

Now I am doing my second build and building the upper as well this time. Waiting on the remainder of the parts to arrive later this week or early next week and will build it then.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    You should now buy a fist full of PSA stripped lower blems and throw them in your safe for when the prices go through the roof. I'm sure they'll lay there as planned and not turn into other versions of ARs you never planned to build.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bengineer
    Top Bottom