Not open for further replies.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    You need to ask John about his firewood processor. Pretty impressive machine.
    We did not talk about that, but I've seen them on YouTube. If you have a bunch of poles that are 20" diameter or less, they are a gamechanger.

I did talk to him about how I was going to tackle all the tops that he is leaving me for firewood. I explained that in the past, I brought the wood to the splitter next to the cabin for rounding and splitting. We agreed it would be more efficient if I could pull the splitter into the woods next to the top while I'm cutting it up. Round and split the wood there, and then use the Gator and a wagon to bring it out of the woods to stacks near the cabin.

cmann250

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 2, 2018
    Land of 300bu corn
    I have always preferred to split where I stack, seems like a little less work, less handling and lifting if I can split as I unload the truck

I do the same. I cut rounds in the woods. I only split them in the woods if I can’t lift the rounds, so I may make halves or quarters. I load them in the side by side and bring them to my pile to split and stack. I handle it once to load the side by side and once to unload, split, and stack.

I’m always looking for ways to be more efficient.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I bring wood out of the forest to the splitter with the tractor bucket. It's split and then moved to the stack with a wheelbarrow.
    As discussed before, herein lies the problem.....

I must say, after our neighbor came over and spread a pile of driveway gravel with his tractor and watching the loggers use their tools, the OG has gotten on board with acquiring a tractor sooner than later.

And the angels sang a glorious song...

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Whoa whoa, slow down there cowboy with all of that tractor talk! @indyjohn I said I could see the need for it...

BTW, I can also see a need for an excavator w/ a rake and thumb but you aren't putting that under the Christmas Tree for me just yet. :stickpoke:

An excavator is what the gardener wants. I like the idea of the thumb for picking up logs and such.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    benw
    Top Bottom