Not open for further replies.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Don't tell the OG that I posted this pic, she will not like it!

But those 3 poles in front of the covered firewood splitter and the ones to the left came from the mess across the road that leads to the cabin after the last big storm a few weeks ago. Beech and Poplar with some Sassafras mixed in. The largest pole is 102" long and about 18" in diameter. Lots of work to do, right there.
    20230717_114106.jpg

cmann250

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 2, 2018
    Land of 300bu corn
    Check back in 2028. I think I’ll still be allergic to poison ivy.

My wood cutting season would normally be after the first frost until May. However I’m trying to regain access to parts of my property.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Check back in 2028. I think I’ll still be allergic to poison ivy.

My wood cutting season would normally be after the first frost until May. However I’m trying to regain access to parts of my property.
    I just had to cut four more oaks off my trail. Still have a couple hundred yards to go. Was just up there(Newaygo County) a couple weeks ago and cut six oaks out of the way.
    Lost a quarter of the timber on my 40 to three years of oak worm. Oaks 6-18". Hundreds standing and coming down. Nobody up there wants it because half the county got hit.
    The understory is going nuts. Ash seedlings, maple, cherry. Still lots of green oaks but no acorns. I'm going to buy a couple hundred pounds of 12-12-12 and hit a couple of the bigger white oak. Try to get acorns next year. Good for all my critters.

cg21

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    if you can find standing dead trees most of it will be burnable
    I am not the best stacker and I don’t know the measurements cords face cords and such but I have a decent stack that I think will last me though the winter. Especially while I am learning and still have a furnace as backup!

Any advice on stacking wood? I have a large paved area I no longer use it isn’t covered. But it is touching my house. Is that TOO close ? It has a 10x20 carport also. I am worried about termites mice and any other invasive critter.

klausm

Grouchy Gar
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    North Central
    I stack away from the house, out in the open on skids where the sun and wind can get to it. I like to cut all mine to 16" and can get 2 rows on 40" wide skids. I will cover it with a tarp in Sept. before the fall rains start in and to keep the snow off. I am lucky to have a enclosed back parch where I can store a month's worth once we are in wood burning mode. I will average 4+ cords a season

cg21

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    I stack away from the house, out in the open on skids where the sun and wind can get to it. I like to cut all mine to 16" and can get 2 rows on 40" wide skids. I will cover it with a tarp in Sept. before the fall rains start in and to keep the snow off. I am lucky to have a enclosed back parch where I can store a month's worth once we are in wood burning mode. I will average 4+ cords a season

So I should be concerned with critters near the house.

cg21

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Now that I know the measurement ….. is this your only heat source (or primary atleast?) I have roughly 2 cords cut and stacked by your 24’x4’

klausm

Grouchy Gar
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    North Central
    Now that I know the measurement ….. is this your only heat source (or primary atleast?) I have roughly 2 cords cut and stacked by your 24’x4’
    yup furnace is set at 64 and hardly runs, not the most or best setup, fireplace insert at one end of the house, but we use a box fan to help circulate the heat

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom