• ...and so much more!
  • Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    The 17-year old spat "at" the officer, not "on" the officer, so IMO the retaliation was too severe. However, if the Cuba PD Chief believes he deserves a second chance and he wants to sign off on him, that's his business. Now, if the officer has a tough day and runs over an old lady taking too long to cross the street, the Chief and the officer should be fired.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    Did the cop screw up?...Yes.

Did the kid deserve it?...Absofrigginlutely.

Should there be consequences for the officer's actions?...Yes.

All this being said, even the criminals don't get the maximum penalty for their first offense. This officer had a good record. There's no good reason a lesser penalty could not have been considered in this case. Using a strict interpretation of the rules and laws involved, its easy to say that the officer should be fired and thrown in jail. What's not so easy to say is whether this course of action is really what is necessary or prudent to deal with this situation. The actions of this officer, however you interpret them, did not cause any permanent damage. If this officer previously provided 14 years of unblemished service and is capable of many more, how is removing this asset part of the solution? Criminals get chance after chance to go through a revolving door and re-offend, and we can't give a cop with an unblemished 14 year record one? Hardly seems equitable to me.
    I will never say cops should have a free pass. However, if good cops that make a mistake can never get a break when it's warranted, good cops will soon be hard to find.

:twocents:

MarkM

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    Brownsburg
    1). Kid was drunk
    1b). Kid spat on the Officer

These are the absolute facts of the situation as Known.

Do we really need a judge for to determine this? What is the purpose of arresting a person?

Breaking the law is breaking the law, no arguement.

But breaking the law against criminal is not the samething as breaking the law against a law abiding citizen.

I've said it before and I'll gladly repeat it.

Laws arent made to protect people like me; They're made to protect the criminals from people like me. In a Just world, a rapist could not run to the police for his protection.
    A killer could not hide behind a truckload of beefed up LEOs.

:+1:

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    If this officer previously provided 14 years of unblemished service and is capable of many more, how is removing this asset part of the solution? Criminals get chance after chance to go through a revolving door and re-offend, and we can't give a cop with an unblemished 14 year record one? Hardly seems equitable to me.
    I will never say cops should have a free pass. However, if good cops that make a mistake can never get a break when it's warranted, good cops will soon be hard to find.

This is reasonable enough that I could probably agree with it after a shot of whiskey.

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    Agreed. That's the real problem with these sorts of incidents. Nobody wants to tell a man that he needs to find another job, but that's exactly what has to happen.

Someone who pulls stunts like this shouldn't be counseled or taken off the street for a few days. They should be fired and never allowed to have a badge again, as well as have criminal charges filed.

If you or I did that to someone, we'd be in jail. This guy gets a free pass because he's a cop.

I am not a LEO, but if you spit on me the results would probably be somewhat more harsh than the actions taken by that officer. :)

christman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2010
    Terra Haute
    As much as I would like to say he deserves it for spitting at someone....Officers are held to a hire standard for good reason. Yes, someone can lose their cool, but when it gets to the point of this video, it's time to move onto something less stressful. Or even evidence locker duty. Departments nationwide have been trying to change their torn image in the community for the last decade. These isolated incidents do not help the cause. If the kid was drunk, than this should have been even more reason not to do anything to him as LEO's get spit on by addicts and drunks daily. File the extra paperwork with the extra charge and be done with it. Stupidity. 14 years at the very least should have taught him better suspect handling when it comes to handing out beat downs and being on camera....

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    I am not a LEO, but if you spit on me the results would probably be somewhat more harsh than the actions taken by that officer. :)

And you'd be in jail, convicted of a felony, and never own a gun again. Is it worth it?

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    That really added something productive to the discussion.
    Actually...it did. If you want to know what a man's reaction would be to being spat upon...spit on him and find out.

Don't put him in a hypothetical situation and expect an honest answer...because until some filthy drunk actually does spit on you...you don't know what your reaction will be.

Top Bottom