• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    (INDY-BRipple)
    Fletch, I believe part or a major issue here is the kid, was a criminal. He was arrested for breaking the law, not because he was an A/B honor-roll student.

If I may ask, and not to be aggressive with you, as you are quite a decent person IMO, why defend the criminally inclined?

Would that criminal defend you, or attack you?

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    Getting spit on is assault and you can protect yourself too.

Spitting on someone is battery, not assault (under common law definitions, anyway). I am not sure what sort of "self defense" you need to protect yourself from a handcuffed, drunk person, but I'm pretty sure that the beating he gave was well beyond anything any "reasonable man" would find acceptable.

Son of Liberty

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    Why is it that some on here believe that a cop should be able to act unprofessionally?? Why is it that some of you give cops the ability to break the law just because they are cops??

In the end if that was my kid, the cede cop would have something coming his way. And that would go for any individual. You don't strike or otherwise harm a bound person.

That cop just showed his true colors. No better than a common cur.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    Fletch, I believe part or a major issue here is the kid, was a criminal. He was arrested for breaking the law, not because he was an A/B honor-roll student.

Ahh, okay. So he should just be beaten to a pulp because he got arrested. I see....

If I may ask, and not to be aggressive with you, as you are quite a decent person IMO, why defend the criminally inclined?

Perhaps you could think just a little bit deeper and realize that you are human, too, and you could find yourself facing the same situation.

Since when is that the standard as to whether his behavior was excessive or not?

Son of Liberty

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009

Arrested, dosent equal guilt. Or are you a part of the new guilty until proven innocent crowd? And he should defend anyone criminal or not when someone else is breaking the law too.

Are you saying it's ok for a cop to break the law but not us lowly citizens??

Cops get way to many free passes.

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Reasonable men don't spit on each other.

Gotta go back to work, you guys play nice. If someone could keep the bleeding heart liberals in check I would appreciate it. :)

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I think the cop should have held the kid on the ground, hawked up a huge loogie and dropped it on the kids face. Maybe after taunting him with it a few times. Just like I did to my little brother when he deserved it! :)

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    (INDY-BRipple)
    Ahh, okay. So he should just be beaten to a pulp because he got arrested. I see....

Well, Im not going to sit here and defend a criminal. :rolleyes:

Especially one who by his own action deserved more than what the cop gave, IMO:D

Perhaps you could think just a little bit deeper and realize that you are human, too, and you could find yourself facing the same situation.

Come talk to me, someday..I'll tell you some stories from my younger days, which will leave you thinking this kid had easy.

Since when is that the standard as to whether his behavior was excessive or not?

The question is legitimate.

Why does society grant life to those who take life? lunacy

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma

First, I am not a decent person. I am no better than any murderer or rapist or child abuser... my sins are just as great.

Second, we are all criminals. With hundreds of thousands of laws on the books, it is impossible for any one of us to obey them all. The only things that separate us from the kid in the chair are the fact that we haven't been caught and the fact that we're not trying to break the law. But if we get caught, "I wasn't trying to break the law" probably won't go very far as a defense.

Third, I'm not really defending the kid. I'm saying that I don't believe the officer's response was appropriate, and stating what I believe would have been appropriate. I also have an earnest belief that cops should be held to the highest standards of personal conduct, and if they fail at it, they need to find new jobs. There's a continuum of force for a reason, and anyone with that much authority needs to be taken down when they abuse it, no matter the incitement.

Again, I'm not really defending the kid, but I will say that among my most fundamental, unshakable beliefs is this: Even the Devil needs an advocate.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    so not everybody has lost their cool at one point or another at their place of work? I am sorry but the cop should not of lost his job or had any desk time or anything. I mean the kid is all innocent and stuff just because hes under the age of 18? Give me a break.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    so not everybody has lost their cool at one point or another at their place of work?
    I have, and it's only the fact that I didn't assault anyone near me that kept me from losing my job rather than simply being put on suspension.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    (INDY-BRipple)
    Arrested, dosent equal guilt. Or are you a part of the new guilty until proven innocent crowd? And he should defend anyone criminal or not when someone else is breaking the law too.

Are you saying it's ok for a cop to break the law but not us lowly citizens??

Cops get way to many free passes.

1). Kid was drunk
    1b). Kid spat on the Officer

These are the absolute facts of the situation as Known.

Do we really need a judge for to determine this? What is the purpose of arresting a person?

Breaking the law is breaking the law, no arguement.

But breaking the law against criminal is not the samething as breaking the law against a law abiding citizen.

I've said it before and I'll gladly repeat it.

Laws arent made to protect people like me; They're made to protect the criminals from people like me. In a Just world, a rapist could not run to the police for his protection.
    A killer could not hide behind a truckload of beefed up LEOs.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Northern Indiana

:noway:

If that's the case then why did he stop? My guess is because the officer realized that the cameras were rolling... The other officers sure weren't in any hurry to stop him.

Since when does getting arrested make you a convict anyhow? Nobody knows the history on the victim...

I'm not saying he didn't deserve to get a little roughed up for spitting in the first place. But what transpired after the first couple hits was WAY to far...

It really doesn't surprise me that he is able to continue his career, if it was only this incident that marred his duty record. The sad thing is, we (tax payers) are left footing the bill when crap like this happens. It's no wonder LEOs are held to a higher standard - some think they are above the law. How many cases can you think of, off the top of your head, where you have witnessed an LEO abusing their power?

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.

It really doesn't surprise me that he is able to continue his career, if it was only this incident that marred his duty record. The sad thing is, we (tax payers) are left footing the bill when crap like this happens. It's no wonder LEOs are held to a higher standard - some think they are above the law. How many cases can you think of, off the top of your head, where you have witnessed an LEO abusing their power?

I watched an IPD (now IMPD) officer slap the crap out of some kid (17-19?) who merely mouthed off to him at a concert I was working standby at. He brought the kid back to the medical office where I was stationed and worked him over for about ten minutes before cuffing him. At the time it was my first few weeks working as an EMT and I was 19 and had no idea what I was supposed to do. Kid wasn't fighting back at all.

MinuteMan47

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    IN

I'm not saying he didn't deserve to get a little roughed up for spitting in the first place. But what transpired after the first couple hits was WAY to far...

Well, it's just like the saying goes. You play with fire, you get burnt. You don't say after the fact , "Wow! That really burnt me. I didn't expect to get burnt that bad ! "...

The kid was belligerent and SPITTING AT HIM. He should have been hog tied and thrown in a cell with Bubba.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    First, I am not a decent person. I am no better than any murderer or rapist or child abuser... my sins are just as great...
    I agree with most of what you have said up until this, but all sins are not equal (John 19:11) and most sins are not crimes!

Top Bottom