• Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    So nuke China for sending it over?

Fentanyl strikes me as the 3d printed guns of the drug war. Such small volumes can be shipped and then diluted into massive batches that it's functionally impossible to stop from coming into the country. It basically makes the laws obsolete. I don't believe in legalization because it simply encourages more demand, but fentanyl is impossible to successfully interdict. You cannot supply side interdict it away, but to date nobody has figured out a high efficacy, scalable way to stop junkies from providing demand.

Fentanyl really seems like a sea change. The war on drugs is over and drugs won, as the joke goes. This seems a permanent fixture of American life now.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Calling it a WMD opens up more avenues to combat it, would be my guess.
    #1 cause of death for 18-45 year olds. :tinfoil: alert: aren't 18-45 year olds AKA military age?

Here's another comparison (bear with me, there is a point here.) In 2000 or early 2001 then USAF Chief of Staff Ryan declared the Air and Space Operations Centers were weapons systems. After the "where's the trigger??" comments I realized this forced them to be standardized. Before this the Numbered Air Force Commanders couldn't even agree on what operating system to use, let alone how they would be configured. Now if someone worked at 7th Air Force in Korea or 12th Air Force in Arizona and went to the one in Qatar, it wasn't completely different. Does the WMD designation standardize the approach to combating it, or at least get everyone looking at the same book if not the same page?

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Don't know where he got the information, but my brother just texted me that cash was being passed around somewhere in Tennessee and it was supposed to be laced with fentanyl.

Why would anyone do that, or would it be just residuals left after the handling of cash and drugs?

Kurr

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    Jefferson County
    Don't know where he got the information, but my brother just texted me that cash was being passed around somewhere in Tennessee and it was supposed to be laced with fentanyl.

Why would anyone do that, or would it be just residuals left after the handling of cash and drugs?

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    From the article:

"I personally plan to push for legislation for a bill that would intensify the punishment, if someone is caught using money as a carrying pouch for such poison."

I suspect this is the reason... After they're done with it, they're probably tossing them down or maybe they're just high and they're falling out of their pockets.

BJHay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2019
    Crawfordsville
    These well meaning twists of logic generally don't end well due to a high risk of unintended consequences.

Fentanyl is widely used in hospitals and veterinary clinics across the country both as a pain reliever and in conjunction with anesthesia.

What regulatory reporting and security requirements might be imposed on pharma plants who suddenly find themselves an arms maker? Will the corner vet clinic need to stop using it because the regulatory burden of storing and accounting for a WMD?

I know some of this could be crafted out of the legislation but that process never seems to think of all the consequences in advance.

I don't remember the source but I read an interview with guy from a WMD group. He pointed out that just a powder is not a WMD. There needs to be a way to effectively delivery it. He also said that the reports he's seen could easily have had Heroine inserted for the Fentanyl. In his opinion the classification was being considered only because of the number of deaths.

The problem of drug abuse (and the high murder rates) starts with kids being raised in a health way.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    It's already illegal for ilicit consumption. Making it way, way more illegal isn't likely to change anything for the typical street user. I also get nervous that this approach could then be used for other targets that the pols might have, like guns.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Calling it a WMD opens up more avenues to combat it, would be my guess.
    #1 cause of death for 18-45 year olds. :tinfoil: alert: aren't 18-45 year olds AKA military age?

Here's another comparison (bear with me, there is a point here.) In 2000 or early 2001 then USAF Chief of Staff Ryan declared the Air and Space Operations Centers were weapons systems. After the "where's the trigger??" comments I realized this forced them to be standardized. Before this the Numbered Air Force Commanders couldn't even agree on what operating system to use, let alone how they would be configured. Now if someone worked at 7th Air Force in Korea or 12th Air Force in Arizona and went to the one in Qatar, it wasn't completely different. Does the WMD designation standardize the approach to combating it, or at least get everyone looking at the same book if not the same page?
    China knows a little something about introducing drugs to a geopolitical enemy to rot their society from the inside and keep them under control.

Onebad06vtx

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Ellettsville
    We have a week illegitimate president that wont do a thing except line his pockets!
    We need a leader that dont put up with crap,Know anyone??? lol
    This is scary as thats the first thing a kid will do is pick up money.
    Dont get me started,my breaks dont work!
    F J B

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Fentanyl's greatest attraction is that it is really cheap compared to everything involved with heroin. Cartels can cut it way back and make a huge profit for now, but I wonder if the price for street smack isn't steadily falling or if the cartel monoply is keeping the price up. I think over time we will see really cheap powerful drugs as new or just greedy drug organizations try to undercut each other. With inflation making everything else go up, you could see the price of street smack going down.

jsx1043

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    So nuke China for sending it over?

Fentanyl strikes me as the 3d printed guns of the drug war. Such small volumes can be shipped and then diluted into massive batches that it's functionally impossible to stop from coming into the country. It basically makes the laws obsolete. I don't believe in legalization because it simply encourages more demand, but fentanyl is impossible to successfully interdict. You cannot supply side interdict it away, but to date nobody has figured out a high efficacy, scalable way to stop junkies from providing demand.

Fentanyl really seems like a sea change. The war on drugs is over and drugs won, as the joke goes. This seems a permanent fixture of American life now.

There is, but no one wants to talk about it.

Top Bottom