• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BOVindy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2015
    Carmel
    Howdy guys. Do you guys find any manual that you just reach for a lot more than the others? I'm probably going to pick one or two up soon as I get into reloading more calibers. Thank you for your time. -Ben

LeverGunFan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2008
    Bartholomew County
    The Lyman reloading manual has a variety of bullet and powder manufacturers, along with cast bullet loads, it's the manual I usually start with. The Lyman 50th edition has just been released, you can probably buy the 49th edition at a good discount if you don't need the latest data that's in the 50th edition. I usually supplement the Lyman manual with data from the bullet manufacturer and the powder supplier.

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    Depending on what powder / bullet type Im using, on which manual I use.
    I'll compare between a few if possible

I'll 2nd that. You'll see different loads in different manuals. For example, I was looking for a 40gr Nosler recipe for W748. The Nosler manual had it. Lyman 49th had a recipe for H322 I wanted to try. Etc. YMMV. Always stay within spec and work up. I usually start with the Hornady manual for me.

Also, use the on-line guides by https://www.hodgdon.com/ and others. I like to have the hard copy manuals, but the on-line versions also work when the hard back doesn't.

And not only the powder manufacturers but the projectile manufacturers as well. They'll test different powders on their projectiles.

Last edited:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have used many manuals over 45 or so years, and since I have been shooting mostly the same loads for years, I rarely look up a load, I just reload the cartridges the same as last time. If I get some different powder, or am helping someone else out, I generally use the interactive Hodgdon.com website.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Lee's book shows more powder choices for some of the rounds shoot. The Lyman shows better charge data. I personally prefer to have more then one book.. I have the Lee, Lyman and Nosler and I just ordered the Hornady. I consider the first two a must have.

BOVindy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2015
    Carmel
    Thanks for the help guys. My tentative plan was to pick up 2 reloading manuals and back them up with online data and my own personal experience (what little I have). I think I'll probably go with the Lee and the Lyman, as they seem to be pretty broad.

BOVindy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2015
    Carmel
    For future reference, would specific types of guns require specific manuals? I was wondering if loading for an M1 Garand in the future might require a bit of an older or more specific manual. Thank you for your time. -Ben

npwinder

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2016
    Kouts
    I have the Lee and the Hornady.

Lee keeps the bullet types pretty generic IE 150 grain cast or 150 grain jacketed. They've tested more powders it seems. They also list velocity along with pressures.

Hornady just lists their specific bullets. How the set up the data is they'll list the fps such as 1900, 2000, 2100, 2200 ect. then they list the powders and charges for the speed.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    For future reference, would specific types of guns require specific manuals? I was wondering if loading for an M1 Garand in the future might require a bit of an older or more specific manual. Thank you for your time. -Ben

The M1 Garand and M1a (M14) should use powders with a burn rate between IMR 3031 (fastest appropriate) and IMR 4320 (slowest appropriate) in order for the port pressure to be safe. Too low and the gun won't cycle, too high and you risk damage to the gun (bent op rod or cracked receiver). My favorite powder for the Garand is IMR 4064 (very accurate and cycles the gun smoothly). USGI ammo used IMR 4895 and WC 852 and those are both good choices, but of those two, only IMR 4895 is commercially available.

BOVindy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2015
    Carmel
    Thanks for the help. I plan on trying to head up to the CMP store before the end of summer to pick up a nice Garand, so this is very helpful. Out of sheer curiousity, are there a whole lot of other older guns that require specific reloading?

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN

The best loading data for the M1 specific 30-06 is available from the NRA. Look up highpower rifle competition on the NRA web site. They have all the data for commercial as well as military brass. Unlike the urban legion of military M-16 brass being thicker, the WWII developed 30-06 brass was MUCH thicker and required different loads. You could actually feel the weight difference picking it up with your hand.

I was just informed that information is now on the CMP website.

or, follow this link to the NRA information http://masterpostemple.bravepages.com/M1load.htm

Last edited:

sparky32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Morgantown
    I have half a dozen or so but always come back to my Speer manual for some reason. Lyman is good to i just got the newest edition in soft cover.

BOVindy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2015
    Carmel
    Good luck with that.

Yeah. I don't exactly know too much about the CMP, their supply, or what to look for in a Garand. I figured that, if anyone would be able to help me, that it would be the guys working at the store. Call me naive, but sometimes you just can't beat face to face service.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Lyman (and probably the Lee) are probably the most versatile manuals, and I have two editions of the Lyman, but I also have two editions of the Speer and Hornady manuals, as well as one Nosler.
    As a suggestion, I have found the best of all worlds by using www.loaddata.com which combines data from just about all current manuals out there, plus lots more.
    It's a subscription service ($30/year), but there is so much data in one location that it will practically overwhelm you.
    Also, you can use some tricks with cut-and-paste to make the data available on your hard drive, even when you aren't around Net access for whatever reason.

jgressley2003

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    Miami County
    Hornady and Nosler are the main 2 that I use. I always compare loads between them and if I can't find them there I'll use Hodgdon's website, Alliant manual, or use a friend's Lyman book.

Top Bottom