Not open for further replies.

IndyGal65

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Speedway, IN
    So the ENTIRETY of the educational system is leans WAY left? Nope, that just ain’t true.

I'm not sure that's what they're saying. "The education system has been trending left" is a true statement. It doesn't mean the ENTIRE education system (every school). I think they're trying to say the median is left of center. But it's fair to say it is unbalanced. And it's fair to say it's not right wing. Though I'm sure you'll find a lot of right wing teachers in rural Alabama or Missippi. And now that I've mentioned that, I used to work for the IT department of a public college there. I got to know a lot of faculty. Humanities were where the left was there. The English department was probably furthest left. History surprisingly not all that far left, but left. Math, economics, technical, vocational, engineering, were center to right-center. Not many lefties there. So if that is at all representative of higher education in the deep south, it's pretty balanced compared with urban coastal schools.

quote_icon.png
    Originally Posted by IndyGal65

Jamil, I always appreciate your posts as they are always compelling and well thought out IMO. And once again, you've done a great job here.

However, we both know he knows the original meaning of the post. But as usual, we all get to suffer the replies consisting of word salads and deflection. I'm sure I'm not alone in saying it's quite exhausting.

EDIT: I wrote this when I was still on page 7, and had not yet read all the subsequent discussions. Sorry for being late to the party.

Do you, does that change from time to time?
    Here, do me a solid and tell me the meaning of this post:

Perfect target for the Left: White, Catholic, pro-life, presumably straight, from a conservative nuclear family, wearing a MAGA hat -- everything they hate embodied in a 17-year-old boy. The Left is truly evil, and desperately trying to make everything that used to admired and formed the foundation of this great country into something heinous because they hate everything that is good and right and kind and Godly. They are heathens that want no rules or morality, and are trying to force that perverse world view on all of us. It is truly a battle of good versus evil. We must not let them win.

This post is just one of many that speak in absolutes. If you don't want comments addressing absolute beliefs, don't speak in absolutes. It's ain't that difficult. I however think that there are more than a few that are incline to vilify anyone that holds a different opinion that them.

Like I said above, word salad and deflection. But I'll try to explain this again. The majority of the subsequent discussions after I typed my original post seemed to be in agreement that he did not literally mean each and every school. But you know that. This is just your normal stir the pot dance.

As far as your "Perfect target for the Left" post, that has absolutely nothing to do with (i.e. deflection) my original post, so I won't be commenting on it. By the way, did you dig that little gem out of your rainy day saved posts folder?

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Back on topic. Shifty Schiff is caught lying again. More proof this is an absolute sham.

BREAKING: New Documents Show Democrat Adam Schiff Mischaracterized Evidence In Impeachment, Report Suggests

The problem stems from a letter that Schiff sent to House Judiciary Chairman Jerry Nadler (D-NY) last week that summarizes “a trove of evidence from Lev Parnas, an indicted former associate of Trump’s personal attorney Rudy Giuliani,” Politico reported. “In one section of the letter, Schiff claims that Parnas ‘continued to try to arrange a meeting with President Zelensky,’ citing a specific text message exchange where Parnas tells Giuliani: ‘trying to get us mr Z.’ The remainder of the exchange — which was attached to Schiff’s letter — was redacted.”

Politico added, “But an unredacted version of the exchange shows that several days later, Parnas sent Giuliani a word document that appears to show notes from an interview with Mykola Zlochevsky, the founder of Burisma, followed by a text message to Giuliani that states: ‘mr Z answers my brother.’ That suggests Parnas was referring to Zlochevsky not Zelensky.”

Democrat officials did not dispute the suggestion that Schiff’s claim was false.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    House Democrats force a presidential impeachment trial on the Senate and now tell senators that they're the ones on trial. Good luck having that play well.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    The Democrats want to control the House and now the Senate in this impeachment process.

They want to continue thier impeachment inquiry where they left off in the House before they hurriedly passed articles and they want the Senate to step aside and let them do it.

You had your chance to subpoena any witnesses and documents you wanted but you didn’t want to take the time to do it and you decided to pass articles and punt it over to the Senate and try to make them out to be the villain because you failed to do YOUR job.

GTFO Democrats.

It’s time for the GOP Senate to stand together and assert thier Constitutional authority as trial arbitrators and put an end to this partisan ploy.

That is the check the founders put into place for such an instance like we have here.

Its just damn lucky that the Democrats don’t have the majority in both Houses of Congress because one can clearly see the kind of things that they would try to perpetrate on this country if they had total power.

The Democrats have been wanting to change the outcome of the 2016 election by any means ever since Trump was elected.

Make no mistake that this is all about trying to get rid of President Trump before the next election.

It’s imperative that they must be defeated soundly come November.

One can clearly see the kind of things that can happen such as the glaring example of what’s going on in Virginia right now if the Democrats gain total power.

If that isn’t a motivator to get out and vote then I don’t know what the hell is.

/rant

Last edited:

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    I dream of an alternate timeline where senators are appointed by the state legislatures the way the founders intended.

But that way didn't work out very well, thus the change. Why would it be better now?

ETA - Just to clarify, I am not challenging your idea or saying anything is good or bad. I just don't know much about the differences involved and am curious.

Last edited:

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    People who want power will try to buy it no matter how it is set up.

ETA

3mrwd9.jpg

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    But that way didn't work out very well, thus the change. Why would it be better now?

ETA - Just to clarify, I am not challenging your idea or saying anything is good or bad. I just don't know much about the differences involved and am curious.

It keeps the Senators from participating in popularity contests while representing the interests of the State Legislature for one.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    It keeps the Senators from participating in popularity contests while representing the interests of the State Legislature for one.

Wouldn't the appointed senators be more inclined to represent the state legislature as opposed to representing the state population? I know ideally those two groups would have the same interests but our world is not ideal.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    Wouldn't the appointed senators be more inclined to represent the state legislature as opposed to representing the state population? I know ideally those two groups would have the same interests but our world is not ideal.

The state population is already represented in the House of Representatives. It is also represented at the state level by our state level representatives that would/should be doing the appointing.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I think that was the idea. Balance the needs of the states against the needs of the people.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

I actually think it would go more towards mitigating the tyranny of the majority, depending on what vote level the appointment was set at. If it was 2/3 like in the senate to confirm appointment then in a state like Virginia where a thin majority of Democrats have used simple majority to enact a tyrannical agenda, you would get less radical senators. In a state like AZ you might never have had a McCain because the party apparatus would know what he was really like. Rubio might not have made the cut and you might be able to get rid of a Schumer. It might renew vigor to state level politics because of the ability to affect national level politics. Even California might not be able to ram through senators unpalatable to a more than a thin majority like popular vote does. The people still have representation in the house much more subject to their whims, but the senate would act as a counterbalance and give a plurality of voters not aligned with prevailing sentiments in their state some pathway to make themselves heard. It would be likely to be a bit ugly at times, like cabinet confirmations, but I think it would be a more broadly representative way forward

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    I actually think it would go more towards mitigating the tyranny of the majority, depending on what vote level the appointment was set at. If it was 2/3 like in the senate to confirm appointment then in a state like Virginia where a thin majority of Democrats have used simple majority to enact a tyrannical agenda, you would get less radical senators. In a state like AZ you might never have had a McCain because the party apparatus would know what he was really like. Rubio might not have made the cut and you might be able to get rid of a Schumer. It might renew vigor to state level politics because of the ability to affect national level politics. Even California might not be able to ram through senators unpalatable to a more than a thin majority like popular vote does. The people still have representation in the house much more subject to their whims, but the senate would act as a counterbalance and give a plurality of voters not aligned with prevailing sentiments in their state some pathway to make themselves heard. It would be likely to be a bit ugly at times, like cabinet confirmations, but I think it would be a more broadly representative way forward

But the problem was the states were not able to successfully appoint senators causing vacancies in the federal senate. A 2/3 vote requirement would almost guarantee lots of vacancies.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom