• Status
    Not open for further replies.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Sure. It's a frame of reference. They seemed to figure out their ****ing job when Obama's administration held up aid, or whatever other things they did. Since the GAO did not follow the prescription this time, and came out so close in proximity to the senate trial, it's easy to suspect that they're not so non-partisan. Why would they complain now about something that was their responsibility to oversee and remedy, back when they missed the deadline? I kinda think since Democrats have ****, this is a law they could say Trump broke, but it's really ****ing weak and it exposes some pretty serious ****.
    IMO I think the GOA is trying to insert an example of the Trump administration potentially breaking the law when a big argument of the administration and their supporters is that there have been no laws broken.

The thing about it is if there was a law potentially broken in the GAO’s estimation then there are remedies outlined for dealing with it other than impeachment.

Such as filing suit against the administration. That is the proper remedy.

This whole issue should not play a role in the impeachment process because there were other procedural remedies.

IndyGal65

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Speedway, IN
    So the ENTIRETY of the educational system is leans WAY left? Nope, that just ain’t true.

I'm not sure that's what they're saying. "The education system has been trending left" is a true statement. It doesn't mean the ENTIRE education system (every school). I think they're trying to say the median is left of center. But it's fair to say it is unbalanced. And it's fair to say it's not right wing. Though I'm sure you'll find a lot of right wing teachers in rural Alabama or Missippi. And now that I've mentioned that, I used to work for the IT department of a public college there. I got to know a lot of faculty. Humanities were where the left was there. The English department was probably furthest left. History surprisingly not all that far left, but left. Math, economics, technical, vocational, engineering, were center to right-center. Not many lefties there. So if that is at all representative of higher education in the deep south, it's pretty balanced compared with urban coastal schools.

Jamil, I always appreciate your posts as they are always compelling and well thought out IMO. And once again, you've done a great job here.

However, we both know he knows the original meaning of the post. But as usual, we all get to suffer the replies consisting of word salads and deflection. I'm sure I'm not alone in saying it's quite exhausting.

EDIT: I wrote this when I was still on page 7, and had not yet read all the subsequent discussions. Sorry for being late to the party.

Last edited:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Jamil, I always appreciate your posts as they are always compelling and well thought IMO. And once again, you've done a great job here.

However, we both know he knows the original meaning of the post. But as usual, we all get to suffer the replies consisting of word salads and deflection. I'm sure I'm not alone in saying it's quite exhausting.

EDIT: I wrote this when I was still on page 7, and had not yet read all the subsequent discussions. Sorry for being late to the party.

Thank you. I do appreciate that.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Jamil, I always appreciate your posts as they are always compelling and well thought out IMO. And once again, you've done a great job here.

Do you, does that change from time to time?
    Here, do me a solid and tell me the meaning of this post:

Perfect target for the Left: White, Catholic, pro-life, presumably straight, from a conservative nuclear family, wearing a MAGA hat -- everything they hate embodied in a 17-year-old boy. The Left is truly evil, and desperately trying to make everything that used to admired and formed the foundation of this great country into something heinous because they hate everything that is good and right and kind and Godly. They are heathens that want no rules or morality, and are trying to force that perverse world view on all of us. It is truly a battle of good versus evil. We must not let them win.

This post is just one of many that speak in absolutes. If you don't want comments addressing absolute beliefs, don't speak in absolutes. It's ain't that difficult. I however think that there are more than a few that are incline to vilify anyone that holds a different opinion that them.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I think CNN paid out $250,000,000, but I am sure they are covered by NDAs.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    This is entirely correct. First of all the GAO determination is an opinion and they have been know to reverse their opinions on occasion in the past.

In this case it’s basically a disagreement between the GAO and the OMB.

Secondly say it were to in fact be illegal there is indeed a remedy.

The Comptroller General has the responsibility to file suit against the administration.

That never happened in this case. No such suit was ever filed.

So, what you're telling me is: sometimes, co-equal branches of government disagree; and when that happens, there's allegedly a remedy that involves the two disagreeing co-equal branches to go to the third, co-equal branch to settle the dispute? And further, that when such things happen, it is a feature, not a bug, of the intentional design of separation of powers and checks and balances - not an instance of acting in bad faith, much less, acting illegally (or acting in a manner that constitutes an impeachable offense)?

That's just crazy talk.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    So, what you're telling me is: sometimes, co-equal branches of government disagree; and when that happens, there's allegedly a remedy that involves the two disagreeing co-equal branches to go to the third, co-equal branch to settle the dispute? And further, that when such things happen, it is a feature, not a bug, of the intentional design of separation of powers and checks and balances - not an instance of acting in bad faith, much less, acting illegally (or acting in a manner that constitutes an impeachable offense)?

That's just crazy talk.

Good job, that one got me. :rofl:

now I have to wipe this up.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Just watched Schumer's opening statements (and McConnell's). I'm glad this isn't going to be televised. Schumer's (and democrats' in general) hypocrisy makes me want to puke. Complaining about keeping things behind doors, when the bulk of the House proceedings were conducted behind closed doors, claiming that they can't call witnesses, yet they themselves prohibited Republicans from calling witnesses, etc.. What a sham.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Just stole this from the funny pictures thread - seems appropriate here too.

PelosiBrain.jpg.40e541c14d163d565432850c35331e28.jpg

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Like it says above - The amount is undisclosed so any number you see is a rumor of unknown veracity.

Sometimes there are enough leaks to make a triangulation that gets close to the truth. A leak from the court, law firms. Heck I guarantee you that several low paid interns know the amount and could be bribed to spill the beans if the information was really wanted...

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Sometimes there are enough leaks to make a triangulation that gets close to the truth. A leak from the court, law firms. Heck I guarantee you that several low paid interns know the amount and could be bribed to spill the beans if the information was really wanted...

But why pay the bribe when they could just make up a number.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom