• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mike trible

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    It has been a long time so I don't know if this info is still valid, but at one time a Circuit Court or a Superior Court Judge could issue you a written authorization to carry a handgun until you receive you license from the ISP, in a situation such as yours.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Couple details I may have overlooked here...

Does your wife know the assailant?

Is there any reason to believe the assailant knows your wife, where she is, and would want to pursue her?

Was he arrested due to the attack on your wife, or another reason?

I know you might not want to share much more info, but just trying to get an idea of the "sense of danger" tied to this event/person, I guess.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    ...2. Why are you not protecting her?

Just curious, if you're married, how do you protect your wife 24/7?

I tried once, but my wife came to resent being locked in the kitchen. I told her that as long as the sammiches kept comin, I would keep here from all harm. But she decided to take her chances and actually leave the safety of our home for things like her job, shopping, getting her hair done, the gym.:dunno:

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Does Indiana have an emergency CCW permit? My wife was attacked and the individual is out on bail and awaiting trial. She has applied for her permit however she applied in November and is still pending ISP approval. Any help is appreciated.

First off we do train and go to the range regularly. She is self reliant and a extraordinary woman. She survived an attack that would have killed most marines. And yes I understand LTCH just typing randomly after surfing the web. Thanks. There was a minor delay at our local PD since they lost the photocopy of her DL.

Sorry to hear she was attacked...glad to hear she survived it! Hoping she doesn't have to protect herself again...especially in the near future!

INITIAL QUESTION: Does Indiana have an emergency CCW permit? ANSWER: No...they do not! However, take the time to speak with the investigating officer and/or local Police Chief regarding her options! Possibly, one of them has a contact at the state who can 'speed' things along a little bit?

QUESTION: Has she sought a Restraining Order against the individual who attacked her? It won't necessarily stop a physical threat...but it will give her leverage if the individual (perp) tries to do anything again prior to trial? Hopefully he's smart enough NOT to be that stupid...but, then again, he did initiate the initial attack!

Nam1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2015
    Evansville
    What momma don't know won't hurt her...as well as concealed is concealed.

No one in the world needs any permission to protect themselves. Either live or die. You can deal with the "legal" bullcrap later. I would carry on.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Just curious, if you're married, how do you protect your wife 24/7?

I tried once, but my wife came to resent being locked in the kitchen. I told her that as long as the sammiches kept comin, I would keep here from all harm. But she decided to take her chances and actually leave the safety of our home for things like her job, shopping, getting her hair done, the gym.:dunno:
    Amen. There's no corralling a good woman. She will do what she wants when she wants it!

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    If she is on her property, she does not need a LTCH. She can carry on her own property legally. A good home alarm system might be a good idea, at least to set off some noise so you have notice that someone is trying to break in. Certainly not trying to suggest that an alarm will protect you in any way, it can notify you that something bad is on the way though. An aggressive dog can do the same thing.

Best of luck. You are in my prayers.

Dan

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Any follow-up on this?
    Your wife sounds tough, sorry to hear about previous attack.
    These kinds of situations make me sick-- I get knots in my stomach thinking if this were my wife or sister.

Call ISP
    Misdemeanor is better than injured/dead.
    If there's any suspicion that the perp would return, get that paper trail started (restraining order, etc)
    Lots of other good advice in this thread.

Be safe, prayers and good vibes heading your way.

HamYankee

Expert
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Jan 24, 2014
    Hendricks County
    The whole "permit" vs "license" crap...Same thing.

Steve2723, If I had a belief I or my wife was at a higher than normal risk of being in danger from a creep on the streets who knows who you are, I believe I would carry while I waited for my license to come in. If she needs it, a jury would listen. Good luck.

Sloughfoot, Of course the guy can't protect his wife 24/7. That's ridiculous. If you want to lock your wife in the house all day, good for you. If you don't have a job and can tag along with your lady everywhere she goes, good for you.
    Also, the OP isn't being any more dependent than any other license holder here. He is trying to comply with and educate himself on the laws. Nor did he mention training. Training is not the same as acquiring a permit.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Better idea for others: Don't wait.

Have wife get a larry before it's critical.

Sloughfoot mentioned training because an untrained carrier, is worst than unarmed. Does she have a good holster or is the pistol getting dropped into the bottom of the purse awaiting an ND? It matters.

And LTCH verses CCW matters too.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    The whole "permit" vs "license" crap...Same thing.

Steve2723, If I had a belief I or my wife was at a higher than normal risk of being in danger from a creep on the streets who knows who you are, I believe I would carry while I waited for my license to come in. If she needs it, a jury would listen. Good luck.

Sloughfoot, Of course the guy can't protect his wife 24/7. That's ridiculous. If you want to lock your wife in the house all day, good for you. If you don't have a job and can tag along with your lady everywhere she goes, good for you.
    Also, the OP isn't being any more dependent than any other license holder here. He is trying to comply with and educate himself on the laws. Nor did he mention training. Training is not the same as acquiring a permit.

Yup...when you're on property that you own (or have signed lease agreement) she can carry open or concealed w/o a license!

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Indiana does not have CCW permits, emergency or otherwise. Indiana issues License to carry permits.

However, having a handgun and a LTCH permit is not a magic wand against evil. Training on how and when to use the handgun in a self defense role is essential.

So lemme get this straight. The particular type of "permit" that Indiana issues is a license permit?

I've never seen anyone promote a distinction without a difference with such gusto.

There is a certain....pronounced...irony to this post.

:rofl:

:lmfao:

:laugh:

Out of rep already today. Someone please get that man some.

longbarrel

Expert
    Rating - 91.7%
    22   2   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Indiana does not have CCW permits, emergency or otherwise. Indiana issues License to carry permits.

However, having a handgun and a LTCH permit is not a magic wand against evil. Training on how and when to use the handgun in a self defense role is essential.

Two other questions...
    1. Why is she dependent on the state to be self reliant?
    2. Why are you not protecting her?
    What's wrong with you?

Top Bottom